Skip to main content
Topic: Harris at Odds over Contract Talks (Read 9259 times) previous topic - next topic

Harris at Odds over Contract Talks

The first few paragraphs from the article are interesting.

AFLW: Carlton and star Tayla Harris at odds over $150,000 asking price
Tayla Harris is the most marketable player in the AFLW but the Blues have their concerns. Will a looming pay stoush leave her looking for a new home?
A pay stoush between Tayla Harris and Carlton could lead to the AFLW pin-up player looking for a new club.

Harris is asking for about $150,000 to play in the 2022 season, which would make her one of the highest-paid players in the sport.

She is a Tier 2 player which means she is paid about $25,000 to play football and the remainder would come from marketing and employment roles at the club.

Harris, 24, was believed to have earned about $80,000 this year, and the Blues are baulking at her new asking price.

Separately, the Blues are also privately questioning her dedication to football and whether she is a good fit for the team.

Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Every match of every round Live on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

Coming off her worst season as a player — she finished outside the top 15 in the club best-and-fairest — the Blues were disappointed with her standards in preparation and commitment.

At one session during the past season, Harris walked off the training track — without telling any of her coaches — to post on her Instagram page.

That act drew the ire of her teammates.

She did not play the next game. The club listed her as “managed’’.

She was also late to several training sessions and arrived at the start of pre-season unfit.

Harris’ manager Alex Saundry rejected the suggestion Harris was unprofessional in 2021 and said her star client wanted to stay at Carlton.

“She absolutely wants to be at Carlton, she remains 100 per cent committed to Carlton and I’m prepared for pretty robust dialogue between myself and the club over the next two to three weeks,” Saundry said.

“We have started negotiations.’’

She added: “I think she’s worth a significant amount. The commitment to Carlton and what she’s done over the past two years for the game locally, nationally and internationally carries a lot of weight.

“Has she carried that weight (this year)? No. Does she rely on her team around her? Yes, to help her through that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Re: Harris at Odds over Contract Talks

Reply #1
$150K is too much, too much for any AFLW player at this point in time, they'll bankrupt the sport before it gets off the ground!

But Harris is a good player and has a great profile, when the sport can afford it she deserves the money.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
Its interesting.

The money is all this is really about.

She is good for footy, and good for carlton, and plays with the sort of toughness we need, but expecting them to act like profesionals might also be a bridge too far for now.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #3
In footballing output,  no where near 150k... not even half that.

In pure marketability, she is gold.
There will be many a young girl who will grow up a Carlton fan for life because of her.

Is give it to her, but have her playing side if the contract heavily incentivised and have penalties should she be late or walk off the track etc.
I'd also be drafting the best young key forward this year because
a) we need one
b) we want Tayla to realise she is replaceable

Reply #4
Nice work if she can get it.  Hope she doesn't.

Reply #5
Nice work if she can get it.  Hope she doesn't.
Who and how many would it cost us?

Then does it cost us a shot at a flag, and if so does it cost us team unity?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
Who and how many would it cost us?

Then does it cost us a shot at a flag, and if so does it cost us team unity?
Harris' output is almost unimportant in terms of $.

She will make us back what we pay her in terms of marketing.

So it is just in terms of team unity if we should keep her.
We played much better with vescio as our ff. She can kick and always gives 100%.

Tayla can kick it far, but not accurately. She can play.....if she's in the mood....which isn't often enough.
At this stage she isn't keeping anyone out of the side.
At this stage there is no obvious 'replacement' available from another club.

I don't think it will cost us anything one way or another in terms of a flag.

Reply #7
Harris' output is almost unimportant in terms of $.

She will make us back what we pay her in terms of marketing.

So it is just in terms of team unity if we should keep her.
We played much better with vescio as our ff. She can kick and always gives 100%.

Tayla can kick it far, but not accurately. She can play.....if she's in the mood....which isn't often enough.
At this stage she isn't keeping anyone out of the side.
At this stage there is no obvious 'replacement' available from another club.

I don't think it will cost us anything one way or another in terms of a flag.
Are you saying there is no cap?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
Cya!
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #9
Dont follow the womens team well enough to comment on her total season but the games I watched she disappointed me.
She is the face of the club though along with Darcy Vescio and its important the club retain her IMO for the future development
of the team. Its takes a good player to play on her and she also provides some physical presence although other teams seem to like to wind her up and make her give away frees etc.
Dont know whats happening with her boxing career etc but I'd like to see her fulltime in football but to do that you have to
remunerate players better and make them at least semi professional players.
I'd upgrade her to 100k overall with football and club work plus incentives to earn more, she does cop a lot of commentary both negative and positive being the highest profile player of the club and in the AFLW and you have to make it worth her while in that regard IMHO.

Reply #10
Are you saying there is no cap?

No. There is a very structured cap in AFLW.

AFLW player payments 2019-2022
Tier   2019   2020   2021   2022
1   $24,600   $29,856   $32,077   $37,155
2   $19,000   $23,059   $24,775   $28,697
3   $16,200   $19,661   $21,124   $24,468
4   $13,400   $16,263   $17,473   $20,239
Club TPP $474,800   $576,240   $619,109   $717,122

However, much like the mens game, there is money to be earned outside the cap. Remember Juddys Visy deal. He was earning 100k a year outside the cap for that....until Eddie McGuire complained and we had to include his finals year (or 2) in the cap. Reason for that was Judd was earning about 5-10 times more than any other player in the AFL outside the cap.

So the question is....how much are we allowed to pay Harris outside the salary cap. I have no idea what the allowances for that are for AFLW.

I suspect that it probably impossible for her to even earn 150k a year as an AFLW player.
Unless we get her a job at the club, ala Vescio and pay her plenty for that.
Unlike Vescio though, she doesn't really have any worthwhile skills

Reply #11
Thanks,  and enjoy your boxing career Tayla.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #12
I'd suggest she's already had one too many to the head.

Reply #13
I'd suggest she's already had one too many to the head.
This sounds to me like a case of another sports person being poorly managed/advised.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time