Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2021 trade and draft period - DRAFT NIGHT (Read 7227 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2021 trade and draft period

Reply #30
Harris going will hurt our membership/sponsorship.
Dalton going will hurt our on-field performance......or at least not let it improve as we didn't have her all year this year.

Just as an aside, going through the girls BTG podcast and looking at who has been on it...some multiple times...there are very few players who have never made an appearance. Tayla Harris was one of them. Georgia Gee is another one.....and then some of the newer no-name girls. Given there were reports of Harris not being one of the girls seems to be very little evidence suggesting otherwise.
I think Harris going might also increase team unity.

Reply #31
Interesting that we still got something back for Loynes after we delisted her 🤔

Chloe Dalton is a big loss but I think we did quite well with that trade ... provided we use the picks wisely and history suggests that we will.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #32
I still think we got screwed.
We mad the best of a very bad situation, but the immediate impact looks dire.

I have read elsewhere that this year's draft cohort does not appear to be as strong as the last couple, not so much in top end talent, but in depth. That makes me fear for our 'gain', which is picks.

I do not know this cohort well: I haven't paid as much attention to it as I have with the guys. However, I cannot see see us getting all of things we need:
[1] A young ruck.
[2] A tall key defender
[3] A marking forward that we can kick long towards.
[4] The shattering speed that Chloe Dalton gave us in the midfield.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #33
I find it interesting that we've parted with 3 captains now including our inaugural captain (who I think has a premiership to her name).

I understand Dalton's situation across codes, and the impasse of Harris's contract. I can't quite work out what Melbourne gave up for her.

As for the pick shuffling we're engaged in, it has the look of a rebuild. We need to add ruck, speed, leadership, and a key forward to the list. Can't imagine we'll get that from one watered down draft.

I've enjoyed watching our progress, although found this year to be well below expectations. 🤔 where have I heard that before?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #34
Just read Jess Hosking traded to Richmond, that's bad.
https://womens.afl/news/72717
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #35
I think its the start of a new era at the blues now.

Jess Hosking out was a complete shock. Perhaps she saw the writing on the wall with the introduction of Dal Pos.

Harris out will not be easy to replace. I'd use our first pick in the draft on the best key forward.
Dalton out will be hard to replace. I'd use our second pick on the fastest player going around who can kick.
Downie out we all knew about. I'd use our 3rd pick on a young ruck.
Loynes out we all knew about. Mimi Hill and Abbie McKays form cover for her.

We did a whole lot of pick swapping today....and i'm not sure what the washup of it all is and if we would've done it had we have known about Jess Hosking leaving.

I reckon we have a few players lined up who have been delisted elsewhere or cross coders or something. We seemed to ditch more picks than we wanted.

Reply #36

I know about 5 faces from our womens team, and the hosking twins were better for our womens team than anyone else.  Not necessarily as players or performers, but their social media presence was way better than most.  Dissapointed to see them both gone.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #37

A last minute announcement is very disappointing. Jess was one of our strong pressure players who ran both ways. Along with Downie, Loynes, Dalton, and Harris she will be hard to replace.

I hope our recruiting staff have a strong plan for the picks we've amassed.
Henry Ford.

Reply #38
2 years ago we started a podcast for the girls. It was called Behind The Gamechangers. It was to give insight into the girls and have a bit of fun. It was hosted by Sarah Hosking.

She left.....but what to do with the podcast?
Enter Jess Hosking. She teamed up with Brooke Walker to be 'the walkings' duo. Also, Vescio and O'Dea teamed up as co-hosts.
BTG would have an interview every week, and the duos would alternate weeks.

Now Jess is gone.....and she was the best one.

Its a poisoned chalice.

Behind the gamechangers.......we are all a bunch of traitors!

Reply #39
It appears our off-field leaders think the chance for a flag in the next year or two is gone.
To be honest, I agree with them.
Out-trading is the only way to get decent draft picks at the moment, with the large number of priority picks this year, and the new teams coming in next year.
If we could actually get the sort of picks the girls who were traded were worth, I might be happy. But seeing Jess traded to Richmond for what we got ... so disappointing. :(  :(  >:(
I can't see us being competitive in 2022. We've lost too much, and whoever we do get is going to be an untried kid for at least a couple of years. We've been one of the younger clubs for a while, but this now our average age will be lucky to be in the teens!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #40
It appears our off-field leaders think the chance for a flag in the next year or two is gone.
To be honest, I agree with them.
Out-trading is the only way to get decent draft picks at the moment, with the large number of priority picks this year, and the new teams coming in next year.
If we could actually get the sort of picks the girls who were traded were worth, I might be happy. But seeing Jess traded to Richmond for what we got ... so disappointing. :(  :(  >:(
I can't see us being competitive in 2022. We've lost too much, and whoever we do get is going to be an untried kid for at least a couple of years. We've been one of the younger clubs for a while, but this now our average age will be lucky to be in the teens!

Firstly, if players are not interested, or want out, then see ya later. That includes Harris and the Hoskings.

Secondly, being one of the younger teams is an advantage. Why? Because it means more of your players have played football from start to finish. All of the older girls are footy converts or had to stop playing during their teen years.
There will come a time when the newer brigade will be replacing older girls who played football through their teen years, but its not yet....maybe another 5 years.
Until then, teens in is better for your overall talent base.

Look, i loved Jess as much as the next bloke, but she was a battler....a very solid battler, but a battler.
If we get someone in like Mimi Hill with the pick we got, thats a win.

We have the best young mid in the game with Prespakis.
We have dual 'coleman' medal winner Vescio up forward.
We have one of the more solid defending group in the league.
We have one of the best rucks in the game.

Its not all doom and gloom.

Reply #41
Chloe Dalton is on the wireless and Vitrioli just had a crack at her for leaving Carlton.  Chloe seemed genuinely disappointed not to be coming back to Princes Park.  I think that her decision to seek a trade to GWS was more head than heart.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #42
I just read the Jess Hosking departure article on the club website.  It seems that she was a required player until she asked about a clearance.  100% commitment or you’re gorn!

Reply #43
This trade period: Carlton the biggest loser 😃
Henry Ford.