Skip to main content
Topic: Tokyo 2021 (Read 2982 times) previous topic - next topic

Tokyo 2021

May as well call it now.  Doubt if they'll proceed, not with 60% of their population against them.

One tough call, but it should be made quick smart.

Re: Tokyo 2021

Reply #1
It's not a tough call.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #2
For some sports and competitors there is only one opportunity to go to the Olympics spanning their whole high level career, you feel for the kid who was too young for the last Olympics and will be finished by the next!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
WOFT
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #4
Sorry guys, I dont really understand what we are saying here.

Are we talking cancel it?

Are the Japanese people against it going ahead?

There is no reason why they cant host an olympics with no spectators.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #6
Sorry guys, I dont really understand what we are saying here.

Are we talking cancel it?

Yes ... I was

Are the Japanese people against it going ahead?

Yes

There is no reason why they cant host an olympics with no spectators.

Utterly Pointless don't you think ...

Reply #7
Utterly Pointless don't you think ...
From the POV of Japan, probably true.

From the athletes’ POV, most would be desperate to compete whether there’s a crowd or not.

Caveats:
  • Japan would lose big time if there are no crowds as there’d be no ticket sales and no tourist influx to juice the economy. However, if the Games are cancelled, they’d also forfeit the money from media rights which would be considerable. Given that most costs have already been sunk, maybe hosting a no-crowd Games would be more attractive than a complete cancellation.
  • Many athletes might fear contacting Covid from athletes from countries with a massive Covid problem. Could this risk be mitigated by separating their accommodation? You’d think vaccination might offer some protection but the AOC hasn’t mandated vaccinations as it’s aware some athletes feel the jab might affect their preparations.

Reply #8
Talking heads pointed out that the contract Tokyo signed with the IOC pretty much strips power from Japanese authorities. Should the Japanese decide they won’t hold the games as scheduled and the IOC opposes that move, the IOC would sue the pants off them.

Reminds me of the way the AFL was being bullied to agree to all manner of things to enable Australia to make a winning bid for the World Cup including scrapping its games for not only the duration of the World Cup but also a period before games started.

Reply #9
I'd like to see the IOC enforce it given covid.  Japan would have much of the world on their side I'd think.  The IOC would likely crumble under the power of a global union. 

Reply #10
Talking heads pointed out that the contract Tokyo signed with the IOC pretty much strips power from Japanese authorities. Should the Japanese decide they won’t hold the games as scheduled and the IOC opposes that move, the IOC would sue the pants off them.

Reminds me of the way the AFL was being bullied to agree to all manner of things to enable Australia to make a winning bid for the World Cup including scrapping its games for not only the duration of the World Cup but also a period before games started.

I remember a time when the AFL bullied the then National Soccer League into playing a winter sport during summer.

They cant complain for a once in a 100 year event that would see a 4 week break to the competition, when their actions arguably stalled the national soccer league for 30 years.

Paul Hewson

Reply #11
Bullied or outcompeted? Soccer has bullied the AFL overseas, using its popularity to block the AFL. Call the police ...

Reply #12
Bullied or outcompeted? Soccer has bullied the AFL overseas, using its popularity to block the AFL. Call the police ...
bullied.  C7 sports did the Hatchett job when they had the rights to both codes.  Bought the rights to the nsl and relegated it to a midnight television time slot with the afl on TV at prime time.

Paul Hewson

Reply #13
As AFL games were relegated to late time slots  in Brisbane & Sydney. Of course, NRL supporters would claim that’s because NRL was far more popular than AFL in those markets so TV stations would give it pride of place. But we know better, don’t we? It was clearly a nefarious conspiracy by TV bullies to hurt the AFL. What scumbags, eh?

Wonder why the NSL didn’t just go to Channel 9 and get them to broadcast live games in prime time. Kerry Packer would have paid billions for that opportunity, surely ...

Reply #14
Now C7 is gone, why doesn’t the A-League go head-to-head with the AFL in winter? And why don’t the FTA channels fight for the rights to broadcast the summer competition. I’m guessing there are nasty bullies everywhere devoted to crushing the A-League instead of treating it as the golden goose. Or maybe Cricket Australia are the bullies. Why don’t the NBL & Cricket Australia just move their competitions to winter to help the A-League? You know it makes sense ...