Skip to main content
Topic: Football Department Review (Read 73848 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Football Department Review

Reply #1245
Errrr, is that a rhetorical question, because I thought you said earlier you didn't care what my opinion was and as I said earlier, I'm not interested in the tit for tat thing. MY OPINION is we don't get rid of the champ. That's it. Nothing you put forward to the contrary will change MY OPINION.
I'm not interested in changing your opinion.

I'm interested in hearing why people like you who share that opinion do. What are the reasons.

So far all i've gathered is.....I like Cripps because Cripps is good.
Is that all there is?

Reply #1246
During the year i wanted to (before he signed ) trade cripps for 2 first round picks,believing that his body cant match it any more with modern game and i hope with the review findings some players might be moved on and traded.

Reply #1247
I have grave doubts any coach can construct a game plan under the current 6-6-6 and Stand rule that will slow down play enough for Cripps to keep up and be fresh enough to play like he did 3 seasons ago, even if he does overcome all his injuries.

It's not that Cripps can't play, it's that fans are not considering the effects of the rule changes, they are massive and have more of a negative impact on Cripps than perhaps any other player in the AFL.

So the only alternative for Cripps is to become more a KPP marking target to make use of his size, but so far he has struggled to take and hold marks. Let's face it he is not great overhead and given his entire playing career it is probably unfair to expect him to become instantly better, marking has never been a big part of his game which is the irony of what he has to do now. He isn't at all natural flying for contested marks!

He can buy himself some time and space by getting better on his off-side, all players can, but it's a skill that is greatly diminished in modern AFL, all this outside the boot rubbish is bullcrap!

Finally, for a guy who wins so much contested footy, he's quite ordinary by hand, hopefully Diesel gets in a sorts that out and has him punching the pill like he's breaking through a brick wall before next season! Cripps is nearly a 200cm monster, he should handball like Fogarty kicks!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1248
I have grave doubts any coach can construct a game plan under the current 6-6-6 and Stand rule that will slow down play enough for Cripps to keep up and be fresh enough to play like he did 3 seasons ago, even if he does overcome all his injuries.

It's not that Cripps can't play, it's that fans are not considering the effects of the rule changes, they are massive and have more of an negative impact on Cripps than perhaps any other player in the AFL.
Thanks for bringing that up. I was meant to add that to my 'list' of things working against Cripps.

If the bloke could kick, it wouldn't be an issue as much because we could put him forward, but i'd prefer Casboult to Cripps shooting at goal.

Reply #1249
Thanks for bringing that up. I was meant to add that to my 'list' of things working against Cripps.

If the bloke could kick, it wouldn't be an issue as much because we could put him forward, but i'd prefer Casboult to Cripps shooting at goal.
His lack of pace is a massive problem, because if you stand him in F50 or D50 his opponents of similar size nearly all run off him. Perhaps the only thing we could do is after the stoppage have Cripps follow the opposition ruck around and let De Koning run around freely. But I'm not sure Cripps can even keep pace with rucks like Grundy or Nic Nat.

On the plus side, his agility has improved massively, he is clearly capable and powerful enough to run those arcs that make him hard to stop, but then comes the kick or handball.

Sometimes when kicking he is lucky to hit his foot, perhaps he should take up boot slamming style like the olden days, just stick your foot out and throw the footy at it! Buy him a pair of steel cap boots! :o

I hate talking about this stuff, because I'm a Carlton fan and Cripps is a Carlton man, it hurts to discuss because I want him to succeed so badly.

I want the "fat kid", as he was labelled by Dodoro and his CheatingFC mates, to stick it right up em!  >:(
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1250
I'm not interested in changing your opinion.

I'm interested in hearing why people like you who share that opinion do. What are the reasons.

So far all i've gathered is.....I like Cripps because Cripps is good.
Is that all there is?

To me Cripps seems a little like Ollie Wines when he couldn't get his body right for a few years there. Once he got off the waterskis he's gotten his body right and will be an excellent player for Port for many years yet. AA this year.

We want more players capable of AA / Brownlow level of performance - not less. You think he's over the hill or whatever - who cares? He's just signed a contract and is here for 5 years so I'm confused what the point of this is.

Reply #1251
His lack of pace is a massive problem, because if you stand him in F50 or D50 his opponents of similar size nearly all run off him. Perhaps the only thing we could do is after the stoppage have Cripps follow the opposition ruck around and let De Koning run around freely. But I'm not sure Cripps can even keep pace with rucks like Grundy or Nic Nat.

On the plus side, his agility has improved massively, he is clearly capable and powerful enough to run those arcs that make him hard to stop, but then comes the kick or handball.

Sometimes when kicking he is lucky to hit his foot, perhaps he should take up boot slamming style like the olden days, just stick your foot out and throw the footy at it! Buy him a pair of steel cap boots! :o

I hate talking about this stuff, because I'm a Carlton fan and Cripps is a Carlton man, it hurts to discuss because I want him to succeed so badly.

I want the "fat kid", as he was labelled by Dodoro and his CheatingFC mates, to stick it right up em!  >:(

I actually suggested a couple times that it would be advantageous for Cripps to be playing ruck (especially this year!) due to giving us an advantage as a 4th mid and maybe being able to keep up with his direct opponent (ruck).

Maybe we asked him to play ruck and he didn't wanna play ball?
BUT, i think it could be beneficial to us, and him, to think about playing that role in the future. It negates most of his negatives.

Reply #1252
To me Cripps seems a little like Ollie Wines when he couldn't get his body right for a few years there. Once he got off the waterskis he's gotten his body right and will be an excellent player for Port for many years yet. AA this year.

We want more players capable of AA / Brownlow level of performance - not less. You think he's over the hill or whatever - who cares? He's just signed a contract and is here for 5 years so I'm confused what the point of this is.
Point is to discuss. We are discussing.

I understand your position with AA level performance, i just feel the game is moving away from him and so is his body.
But...on that same line of thinking...if we can get 2x first round picks in for him, perhaps we get 2xAA's for the price of 1?

FWIW, JK signed a 2 year extension and was traded out the same year. It happens. Depends whats on offer.