Skip to main content
Topic: Football Department Review (Read 72193 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Review

Reply #690
Just how (or why) are we supposed to trade fresh recruits on big money like Saad and Williams?  Pure unadulterated bull crap.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #691
Just how (or why) are we supposed to trade fresh recruits on big money like Saad and Williams?  Pure unadulterated bull crap.
If we did trade them, they probably wouldn't get the same $ which means we'd be paying some of their salary AND the salary of the new guys who took their spot......who would be worse, because we can't afford to pay them the same amount (or more) because if we did we'd be further over the cap (or cap trouble)  than we already are.

So either keep the players we've already got.
Or
We get in more cap trouble
Or
We have a less talented list.

So why would we trade them?

Reply #692
As Krud suggested you would be paying part of their money to get a trade done as no one is going to pay them what they are on with us. Saad is the one who has given us value but is on less money than the others and very happy to keep him.
I think McGovern wouldnt get you anything as a trade and no one is taking on Williams for another 5 years given his injury problems. Martin has a lot of talent but doesnt do enough, dare I say it but maybe a Clarkson,Scott or Lyon might get him to extract the digit a bit more and get more meaningful minutes out of him.
Its up to the coaching staff to get these well paid players up and running so I think it will be the coaches going rather than those players at this stage.

Reply #693
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/leaked-high-level-carlton-email-supposedly-reveals-the-future-of-the-club/news-story/a8a86c34cb8c67cf7a01cbf2fedfca3f

An alleged email from deep inside the Carlton hierarchy has found its way to Sheahan ink.

The email which may be true or may be just be a work of fiction offers intriguing suggestions of what the future might look like for the Blue Baggers.

The leaked email, supposedly from a club board member, outlines the club’s mistakes, plans for the future, who is to be sacked, who will or won’t be hired and players’ futures.

We haven’t been able to check the veracity of the claims but the specific details suggest it came from a highly placed insider with intimate knowledge of boardroom politics, executive level decision making, finances and list management.

The ‘person’ suggests the board is divided into two camps: the billionaires, led by Pratt and Mathieson, and the non-billionaires.

The top-level secretive document highlights David Teague’s tenure as senior coach and whether he should be given next season to continue in the job.
Some of what the email reportedly contains includes:

> Does the club ‘give Teague 2022 with new assistants on the basis we are not top six by mid-season, Clarko would be available’ (referring to outgoing Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson), which is the preferred option of the billionaires.

> Or does it ‘make a change now because Teague cannot create a game plan and there is genuine concern over the direction of the group’ — the preferred option of the non-billionaires.

> Alternatives to take over: Brad Scott, Ross Lyon, Alastair Clarkson or Don Pyke.

> Justin Leppitsch’s recent comments on the Blues’ decision-making left a sour taste in their mouth.

> Scott is labelled ‘the most likely pick’ as the AFL ‘wants us to take him’ but there’s a query over his ability to recruit big name assistants, unlike Ross Lyon.

> Lyon is very unlikely to get the job because of the way he left Fremantle.

> Pyke is very well liked by the review team with John ‘Horse’ Longmire saying he ‘is the best assistant we’ve ever had’ at the Swans.

> Leppitsch very unlikely. Not good at Lions.

> A process will be undertaken to appoint a new coach by a panel of football people after a new head of football is appointed.

The email also apparently states the club will be getting rid of Brad Lloyd, Teague and the assistants, bar Luke Power and Daniel O’Keefe.

Cain Liddle’s position as chief executive is under intense scrutiny. The club’s recruiter Nick Austin another in the gun.

A change in the team’s captaincy is also forecast according to the document, stating defender Jacob Weitering would be anointed the new leader with young gun Sam Walsh his vice-captain.

Patrick Cripps needs to focus on his body and getting fit, it reportedly states.

And the playing group as a whole were labelled ‘Hollywood’ pertaining to their alleged rock star lifestyle and egos.

Other big name players are also listed and potentially on the chopping block according to this document.

It’s alleged Levi Casboult, Mark Murphy, Eddie Betts and Caleb Marchbank have had their papers stamped.

And Sam Petreski Seton and Fisher will return to Western Australia. On the trade table, according to the document, would be; Saad, McGovern, Martin and Williams.

The document suggests there was an 11am phone hook up via WebEX between key board members last Sunday, we believe.

The review which is being undertaken presented some initial findings to incoming president Luke Sayers, outgoing president Mark Loguidice and three others (whose names are not listed).

Fiction or fact? Guess we will find out in the weeks and month to come.

Can’t believe the HUN ran with this social-media-generated crap.   It’s been doing the rounds for a while and has been largely discredited, but the HUN give it air???   Just start printing tweets and be done with it

Reply #694
Can’t believe the HUN ran with this social-media-generated crap.  It’s been doing the rounds for a while and has been largely discredited, but the HUN give it air???  Just start printing tweets and be done with it
But that is what The Hun and News Ltd are all about these days, they aren't reporters or professional journalists, most of them are just sorry ar5e bloggers.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #695

Anderson has probably been lurking here and has repeated some of the common themes  ::)

Reckon that happens more than we know.  “I’m hearing”. And “rumours have it”. And “a lot of chatter”. All probably mean “I’ve been on a few supporter boards and here are the rumours and theorys”

Reply #696
Reckon that happens more than we know.  “I’m hearing”. And “rumours have it”. And “a lot of chatter”. All probably mean “I’ve been on a few supporter boards and here are the rumours and theorys”
Often the named journalist doesn't even come up with this stuff, the editor decides what runs, and it was school holidays so I wouldn't be surprised it was the work experience kid.

Also, do not discount the possibility that the organisation or reporter is also the source of the rumour. Caro and Flubbo have been doing that for years, they report on rumours they anonymously started!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #697
Must admit that I'm a little bit toey in anticipation of the board meeting outcomes today.

Reply #698
"I looked at the side running out on the field and then looked up at the stands and thought that's my team up there..."

David Teagues tenure summed up in one sentence.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #699
"I looked at the side running out on the field and then looked up at the stands and thought that's my team up there..."

David Teagues tenure summed up in one sentence.

Didn't save Brittain

Reply #700
^
Nor Ratten.

Those who fail to learn the mistakes of the past, are doomed to repeat them.

We should replace mens sana in corpore sano with the latin equivalent.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #701
^
Nor Ratten.

Those who fail to learn the mistakes of the past, are doomed to repeat them.

We should replace mens sana in corpore sano with the latin equivalent.

Perhaps we should focus on the ‘sound body’ part of the motto 🤔
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #702
So the findings of the review are to remain a secret. Why announce the review then?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #703
So the findings of the review are to remain a secret. Why announce the review then?
Thats in line with what Mal Speed said weeks ago on radio and makes sense to me.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #704

This was a big point i made when it was announced mid-year.

There is literally no point announcing it publicly. Do it in private, ideally, don't even tell the people at the club you are doing a review.
The shear fact you tell someone you are conducting a review changes their behaviour and actions.
Tell only those you must, and leave it at that.

Instead, its been public. People are scrambling. We lost Barker mid-year. Others are trying to cover their butt.
Media pressure has gone through the roof.

All for what......silence?