Skip to main content
Topic: Football Department Review (Read 74420 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Football Department Review

Reply #720
It's interesting that your view is that Nicholl's advice is bad and outdated.
I think some is outdated, some is relevant.

I think the club needs a hard bastard, not necessarily the coach, but to take control and get the various sub-cultures in their place! ;)

We do not want to end up like Sth Melb Hellas, great but all in the past!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #721
Report from Tom Brown tonight suggesting Clarko is no 1 choice for next year with Lyon a lock in if he knocks us back.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #722
Report from Tom Brown tonight suggesting Clarko is no 1 choice for next year with Lyon a lock in if he knocks us back.

I posted this on Teague has to go thread.
Mods please remove as suitable
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #723
And you'd trust the "reporting" of the football media?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #724
They have five months from 31 October (EOFY) to hold the AGM.   When do you think they should hold it?  Jan 6th when everyone is on holidays?  You're jumping at shadows on this.

Having a quick look at some previous AGM dates:
25/2/2019
24/2/2020

Let's look at a few practicalities:
Accounts:  They will take time to finalise and then prepare for audit.  Depending on their complexity and any information required by third parties (eg re-valuations) let's say this could take 6 weeks.

Audit:  Auditors would have started their prep in Sept/Oct, however, onsite and actual audit could take 3-4 weeks - depending on complexity.

That's 10 Weeks - say 14th December.  This process is also assuming that in the period, the Board has signed off on the accounts to recommend to the members.

Annual Report needs writing.  This will be in progress while the audit is taking place, however, numbers can't be added until the audit is complete.

Annual Report needs to be finalised and printed.  (yes, there is a reduction in how many are printed, but I am sure they would still need to do some, as it has to be available).

Need to send AGM notices with 21 days notice to members with the annual report and AGM agenda.

This takes us to January.

Melbourne is on holidays until school goes back.

Sometime in Feb is a practical time.  Look at the timing of listed companies AGM's as a comparative.  When was the last AGM held in July for a 30 June year end?

It's good to get informed comment, but will it change the perception of supporters who are convinced that our board are there to (a) stroke their own egos, (b) pursue factional agendas, or (c) destroy the club.

The board has made some poor decisions over the journey and will probably make more before they're done.  That doesn't detract from the fact that they give up their time to do what they think is best for our footy club and, like all supporters, they want success ASAP. 

I'm frustrated with our lack of success and I blame the board for that.  However, I think that the board is incrementally improved with each change of personnel.  Is there a viable alternative?  I don't think so.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #725
One of the reasons I don't rate the commentary of past players is they tend to sound like a football specific version of the broader societal trend of old people bagging out the young. When you don't get the desired response, go hard. If you still don't get the desired response, go harder still. It's a very punitive mindset.

Nicholls is justifiably seen as the greatest Blue ever. But that's not a sufficient reason to follow bad, outdated advice IMO.

Lyon got 2 clubs to a GF. That's a fair effort. But the club needs to be clear about why they would pursue him. If they bring him in because they think he will "toughen up the players", in my view that's misguided.

Regardless of the era in which they played, the opinions of legends of the game should not be dismissed as bad and outdated. 

I once heard Nicholls asked how he would go against the much taller modern-day ruckmen and his response was along the lines of  working out how he could get an advantage.  I remember watching Carlton vs Collingwood in Len Thompson's first season.  Thommo, at 199cm, had a 10cm height advantage and Nicholls was struggling to get his hand to the ball.  It was a dire situation for Carlton supporters but Big Nick made some adjustments and jumped into and over Thommo.  The man has great footy brain.

As for his comments about our current predicament, who could argue against the proposition that we need a totally invested football director?  Similarly, can anyone dispute the fact that we've been deficient in basic footy skills for 10 years (or more)?

I'm sure that Nicholls didn't mention Ross Lyon and I don't necessarily equate him with "tough bastard".  However, a tough bastard is exactly what we need to ensure that our progress is not derailed by membership-oriented CEOs and success-starved board members.  The challenge is to find and/or develop a coach with the insight of Bolts, the tactical awareness of Barassi and the hardness of Nicholls.  Parkin isn't available but can we make Teague that person?

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #726
Regardless of the era in which they played, the opinions of legends of the game should not be dismissed as bad and outdated. 

Yep. :)  They're entitled to it.  If you don't agree, then try to at least remain silent when referencing a bloody champion.  

Reply #727
Some people on here have an extremely patriarchal, borderline fascist expectation that those who have achieved something should not be questioned anywhere, under any circumstances. As if somehow everything they say is Gospel. You take what people say on its merits, not on the status of the author.

Nicholls hasn't been involved in football for decades. He should also be aware that we've already had two tough bastards in the last 20 years, who much like their opposites (the nice guys) have gone south in rapid succession. If that's his idea of a solution, then it's no better than the average punter.

Reply #728
To me its like the old story of the engineer who charged $10,000 for identifying a faulty component on a large and troublesome machine with an X. When asked for breakdown of his fee, he said $1 for the X, $9,999 for knowing where to put it.
We need more people who make the right decisions not the wrong ones, ones who know where the X's go. Sounds stupid and simplistic but IMO, too many things like poor culture are often mistaken with poor decision making (on and off the field).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #729
Some people on here have an extremely patriarchal, borderline fascist expectation that those who have achieved something should not be questioned anywhere, under any circumstances. As if somehow everything they say is Gospel. You take what people say on its merits, not on the status of the author.

Nicholls hasn't been involved in football for decades. He should also be aware that we've already had two tough bastards in the last 20 years, who much like their opposites (the nice guys) have gone south in rapid succession. If that's his idea of a solution, then it's no better than the average punter.
patriarchal borderline fascist...

For listening to the bloke who our b and f is named after and thinking he has a point?

I too think bic nic might have his wires a bit crossed on this one but if he isn't qualified to comment on the subject I dont know someone who is.

Maybe we should ask Darcy vescio instead?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #730
The issue is not whether he is entitled to an opinion, the issue is that dissenters should keep their opinions to themselves, and that the Gods cannot be questioned under any circumstances.

Reply #731
We should always question all "Gods" but we shouldn't stop listening to them.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #732

I think I get where you're coming from, Pauly.

But... (you knew it was coming, didn't you  ;) ).

1. Big Nick is still very involved with what is going on at the CFC. He may not hold an official office, but believe me, he is involved and should be highly regarded as a mentor, as he has the credibility to be such.
It is not fascism or simply giving credibility to an opinion because it comes from a great of the club. This is wisdom. And he deserves more than to be judged simply on using a term like 'tough bastard.' You have to ask yourself, 'what does he mean by tough bastard?' To me it meant finding people with the ability to instill discipline and leadership in a tough bastard of a game.

2. Big Nick has a huge footy IQ. How he outsmarted Hafey in '72 was pure genius... and they were only able to counter it the following year with thuggery. You never lose that intelligence to immediately spot a problem and why it has come about and what works in countering that problem. His experience and knowledge of our game is of great value.

3. Many principles and values in life never change with the passing of years. People who've lived through, and eventually succeeded, at a particular profession do not lose an intelligence, instinct and knowledge for that profession with their advanced years. In fact, being a little separated from the day to day dealings in a work place, gives the elder an objective perspective combined with deep experience that is invaluable. Big Nick, and others who've 'slain the beasts in the arena' carry within them enormous knowledge and wisdom.

4. Rather than rejecting Big Nick's thoughts on our club for the reasons you state, I, personally, would seek and respect his observations - often.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #733
You can still respect someone 100% yet disagree with something they say. This isn't the land of Kim Jong-un.

Reply #734
You can still respect someone 100% yet disagree with something they say. This isn't the land of Kim Jong-un.

You sure can. But unlike Nth Korea, you are still free to disagree with their disagreement. I respect you, personally, absolutely, yet I still find myself disagreeing with you... from time to time.  :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17