Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game Promise AFL Rd 17 Carlton vs Geelong? (Read 6696 times) previous topic - next topic

Pre game Promise AFL Rd 17 Carlton vs Geelong?

At the moment we are drawn to play Geelong. Don't know where, don't know when.
With half a team available, our chances do not look that good. But, as Gold Coast showed against Richmond, you never know what might happen.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Pre game Promise AFL Rd 17 Carlton vs Geelong?

Reply #1
Cameron should be out.

Reply #2
Cameron should be out.
 Not sure that makes it easier, especially after Hawkins bagged six, just removes a potential confusion for the Handbagger midfield!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
We're one a winning streak against Geelong of one in a row. If we win tonight then the game becomes really important.

Reply #4
What channel is showing our game?

Reply #5
All good. Showing on 503.

Reply #6
Very good spread of team effort against Freo with good or useful contributions from every player and reasons for retaining them:

Forwards
Harry McKay - the target was beaten against Freo but made the most of his chances for a change
Eddie Betts - still deserves his place in the team
Jack Silvagni - the hard worker
Jack Martin - lacks tank and intensity to play elsewhere but is an x-factor up forward - if only he could kick straight
Matthew Owies - does his bit - needs to continue doing so

Mids
Tom De Koning - the only ruck we have ATM - doing okay
Sam Walsh - our best player
Patrick Cripps - our former best player
Paddy Dow - finally on the way
Ed Curnow - still earns his part
Matthew Kennedy - better around the ground than in the midfield but midfield depth is very shallow

Utilities
Levi Casboult - necessary ruck relief who can contribute forward or back
Jack Newnes - was in Saints leadership group and has necessary strength, speed and skill to play on the wing or flank
Lachie Fogarty - hard at it but has yet to lock down a place in the team
Sam Petrevski-Seton - the jury's still out - except for the fact that he should never play in defence again

Defenders
Jacob Weitering - pillar of strength
Liam Jones - another pillar
Adam Saad - provides necessary speed and intensity
Liam Stocker - should now be an automatic selection but could contribute to midfield depth sooner or later
Lachie Plowman - panics too much on last line but provides flexibility to defensive match ups and is a good link player
Nic Newman - makes some dumb errors but generally a contributor who can keep Plowman off last line 
Tom Williamson - main attribute seems to be to provide another tallish option to keep Plowman off the last line

I reckon Williamson and the players listed as utilities are on the bubble when a better option becomes available

Reply #7
@RR....
Hard to argue with any of that.

I reckon we'll have Williams and Fisher back for Geelong.

I suspect Williamson to be one out.
I'd keep Fogarty against his old side.
SPS needs more games in position.
Newnes is a seasoned body we'll need against the cats IMO.

I'd drop Casboult......but we won't.
I'd go back to playing Silvagni as 2nd ruck.

The Geelong rucks are too mobile for Casboult.
Stanley will dominate Casboult in the ruck.
Blicavz is like an extra midfielder the way he runs around.

TDK is a good matchup for both, but will need a chop out, so an extra mid in the ruck will allow us to run with Blicavz without flogging TDK.

Reply #8
Fisher should not come straight back in.....imo.

The week's rest should do Williams good - and the chance to work on improving his fitness.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #9
Doesnt matter who comes in or goes out, this is the toughest assignment in footy, whilst we have won two in a row and Cameron is out, I give us virtually no chance. Dads Army are on ATM, I hope its not a flogging and we are competitive. If Crippa's foot is sore, I would rest him.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #10
Doesnt matter who comes in or goes out, this is the toughest assignment in footy, whilst we have won two in a row and Cameron is out, I give us virtually no chance. Das Army are on ATM, I hope its not a flogging and we are competitive. If Crippa's foot is sore, I would rest him.

Yes, a big loss to the Lions, but good wins against the Dogs and Port in recent weeks, as well as wins against lesser lights Essendon and Collingwood. They are a class above, and should win comfortably, Cameron or no Cameron.

Reply #11
Yes, a big loss to the Lions, but good wins against the Dogs and Port in recent weeks, as well as wins against lesser lights Essendon and Collingwood. They are a class above, and should win comfortably, Cameron or no Cameron.

And yet we beat them at the Cattery early last year?

And were smashing them for 3 quarters.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #12
I thought Williamson was ok and doesnt deserve dropping .....
Casboult will have to play as TDK looked cooked late in the game and Blicavs is about the worst opponent in that regard
to have to front up to the following week as he works as a follower and not a genuine ruckman......those old enough will know the difference.
Cripps needs resting, he stayed on the field with only one functioning foot but looked very sore...probably Williams could take his spot but I'd leave the defense as is with Newman and Williamson along with Stocker as my small to mid defenders.
Plowman will probably get Rohan but thats a matchup I'm uneasy about and would almost play Jones on him.
Be interesting to see if the Cats play Constable this week given the press he has had, been flying in the twos....

Reply #13
EB,  I reckon there's a few blokes down at the cattery that are way over rated, sure they'll probably flog us but blokes like Blicavs make some horrible decisions at critical times,  especially if he plays in defence.  If,  and that's a big if,  we get on top in the midfield and they have to throw him back I reckon McKay could really get off the chain. Owies and Eddie might run Kolojasniiv(sic) around as well,  there's another weak link.  I reckon this could be an interesting game, especially with Cameron missing.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #14
EB,  I reckon there's a few blokes down at the cattery that are way over rated, sure they'll probably flog us but blokes like Blicavs make some horrible decisions at critical times,  especially if he plays in defence.  If,  and that's a big if,  we get on top in the midfield and they have to throw him back I reckon McKay could really get off the chain. Owies and Eddie might run Kolojasniiv(sic) around as well,  there's another weak link.  I reckon this could be an interesting game, especially with Cameron missing.
With TDK its more about his endurance and needing a decent break in games to preserve him as he is still slender and as we saw with Darcy just got worn down by the bigger stronger player. TDK has all the skills to match Blicavs and more its just the Geelong player is an endurance beast and he will run all day and jump all day but our man will need a break or end up broken.
Cats with Henderson down back as the chief tall defender dont impress me either, Harry will enjoy the size advantage...think he found the equally tall Pearce from Freo an awkward dude to play on and hopefully he can towel up the traitor that is Henderson.
I give us a chance as Geelong are so far up themselves they need a guide dog and a roadmap to find their way back but we need to have everything going our way and no stupid basic errors like mismatching players, playing injured players or expecting TDK to ruck without proper breaks.ie a player like Tom Stewart needs an accountable forward not one who will chase the ball and leave Stewart alone taking intercepts at will and racking up ridiculous possession numbers.
I just want to see Chris Scott going through his antics in the coaching box and losing it with the umps etc....