Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game Promise AFL Rd 17 Carlton vs Geelong? (Read 6669 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game Promise AFL Rd 17 Carlton vs Geelong?

Reply #31
Two Geelong players who will hurt us and who are under the radar are Smith and Menegola...both tall wingers, both get plenty of ball and kick goals. There will be plenty of hype over Selwood , Danger etc but those two every time I see Geelong are very prominent and we have a history of scouting poorly and not doing our homework on these B grade type players and getting burnt.

Reply #32
ps anyone playing regularly as a forward should averaging at least a goal a game.

So Martin and JSOS need to step up imo.

JSOS's goal kicking has been abysmal (last game aside)

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tr-carlton-blues?year=2021&rt=TA&st=GO
To his credit, he spent an hour before the game practicing kicking.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #33
Martin had a very average game vs very average opposition in the likes of Tucker, Walker and Aish, 12 possies@67% isnt exactly tearing it up and he owes us a good game or three IMO.
For a player of his talent he just doesnt get enough of the ball and he needs to be out there with Jack Silvagni to practice his goal kicking routine. He is a good kick but has developed this habit of laying back on the kick and spraying it.
Not sure if he is injured or being coached wrongly but he is very frustrating as he is such a pleasant player to watch when he gets the footy but you only get a cameo most games of what he can really do. He could be the difference in winning 2-4 extra games a year and playing finals but at the other end of the spectrum you sometimes have to look hard to see if he still on the ground.

Reply #34
Martin had a very average game vs very average opposition in the likes of Tucker, Walker and Aish, 12 possies@67% isnt exactly tearing it up and he owes us a good game or three IMO.
For a player of his talent he just doesnt get enough of the ball and he needs to be out there with Jack Silvagni to practice his goal kicking routine. He is a good kick but has developed this habit of laying back on the kick and spraying it.
Not sure if he is injured or being coached wrongly but he is very frustrating as he is such a pleasant player to watch when he gets the footy but you only get a cameo most games of what he can really do. He could be the difference in winning 2-4 extra games a year and playing finals but at the other end of the spectrum you sometimes have to look hard to see if he still on the ground.
I reckon Martin and a lot of our blokes try and kick the leather off it and get right under it when they are not that far out. Eddie and maybe Owies do it well. Low, half post high is all you need to do.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #35
Martin is horrible at that game facet ... gets too close and kicks high. 

Reply #36
EB....Martin was good in maybe first or second quarter of the Adelaide game...can't remember which. Had multiple possessions, quite a few shots on goal and set up a few scoring shots. Then he completely disappeared.

Similarly against Freo, only a handful of possessions in the first half.

Very frustrating to watch especially when you see a guy like Silvagni, not blessed with the same pace or skills, but who runs himself ragged to chase, tackle, smother and get to contests. If Martin could replicate that sort of effort in games he'd be something pretty special. We must spend a fortune on tape and strapping on Martin too....looks like a racehorse the way he comes out each week.

Reply #37
He's not fit, and playing on one leg.

Martin has no depth in his kicking.  In round 1 he was slotting them from 45 metres out.  I think he has a muscle issue which is preventing him from doing a lot, and we have rushed him back in.  For mine, I would be getting him focussed on strength and conditioning, because its his major flaw.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #38

Martin has no depth in his kicking.  In round 1 he was slotting them from 45 metres out.  I think he has a muscle issue which is preventing him from doing a lot, and we have rushed him back in.  For mine, I would be getting him focussed on strength and conditioning, because its his major flaw.
He didn't play round 1 Thry. This didn't sound right to me so I checked (sorry).
He kicked 3 in rnd 2 v Coll:
goal 1 20-25m out 45 deg angle, played on and snapped with his left foot
goal 2 received from Fish on the run in the goal square and dribbled it through
goal 3 opposite pocket to goal 1, snapped from 20-25m out.

No 45m slots from those three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlD9Abvy76k

I will say this, when he first came to us, I noted his kicking action as poetry (to me at least) and didn't miss, (kicked 4 on debut). It is a confidence and continuity thing ATM, it will come good, nothing to do with injury if you ask me.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #39
Yes, he's another one of those we have, playing injured.

Not sure what his problem is, but he's clearly not kicking the ball like he could previously, lots of taping on those legs is a tell.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
Yes, he's another one of those we have, playing injured.

Not sure what his problem is, but he's clearly not kicking the ball like he could previously, lots of taping on those legs is a tell.
I noticed it in the 1st quarter 2 weeks ago. He was hobbling despite not having any obvious contact.....the game had just started!

If he is on 1 leg, and that stops him from using his weapons, speed, agility, kicking......then why are we playing him?

Reply #41
He didn't play round 1 Thry. This didn't sound right to me so I checked (sorry).
He kicked 3 in rnd 2 v Coll:
goal 1 20-25m out 45 deg angle, played on and snapped with his left foot
goal 2 received from Fish on the run in the goal square and dribbled it through
goal 3 opposite pocket to goal 1, snapped from 20-25m out.

No 45m slots from those three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlD9Abvy76k

I will say this, when he first came to us, I noted his kicking action as poetry (to me at least) and didn't miss, (kicked 4 on debut). It is a confidence and continuity thing ATM, it will come good, nothing to do with injury if you ask me.
was thinking last year round 1.  We rushed him back for indigenous round.

Id wager calf issues but yeah I've got this years details wrong. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #42
was thinking last year round 1.  We rushed him back for indigenous round.

Id wager calf issues but yeah I've got this years details wrong. 
No probs mate, agree though last year early he was a dead eye dick in front of goal.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #43

Jack has lost his leap and the lateral step that was giving him space and time. 

I’m not sure why he’s playing - he probably wants to play - but it would be best for him and the club if the focus was on getting him fit for next season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #44

If he is on 1 leg, and that stops him from using his weapons, speed, agility, kicking......then why are we playing him?
We don't know what the injury is, how much of it is physical and how much is mental / confidence, players limp for all sorts of reasons and injury is just one of them, some are playing possum, others looking for an excuse.

It might not be as bad as we think, because when he gets on a roll he certainly looks more spritely.
The Force Awakens!