Skip to main content
Topic: St George Dragons (Read 2164 times) previous topic - next topic

St George Dragons

Gee, they didn't feck around.  $800 K contract ripped up?  Like it.

Re: St George Dragons

Reply #1
It probably wasn't so much the party as the lies and deceit around it.

Reply #2
It probably wasn't so much the party as the lies and deceit around it.

True, but he got it in the neck.  I hate that code, but a huge statement.  Well done St G

Reply #3
FFS, the state has COVID-19 on a hair trigger and these norbits think it's OK to have a rip roaring barbecue while the bulk of the states population is in lockdown. I know they aren't brain surgeons but seriously where was the pub test, at the bottom of the barrel it seems!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
I get it, but Covid isnt what it used to be.

This seems a bit over the top and is only being done for the optics which is never a good reason to do anything.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #5
I get it, but Covid isnt what it used to be.
That's what they said in old Missoura! ;)

Ventilator shortage as Missouri virus hospitalizations spike (July 5th, 2021)
https://abc17news.com/news/2021/07/05/ventilator-shortage-as-missouri-virus-hospitalizations-spike/

Regardless, given that the current Sydney outbreak started from a home gathering, it's a bit of ignorance for players to proceed in this manner. The State or Fed government could easily punish the whole competition, and the NRL know that, the players were screwing with the fate of a billion$ industry.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
That's what they said in old Missoura! ;)

Ventilator shortage as Missouri virus hospitalizations spike (July 5th, 2021)
https://abc17news.com/news/2021/07/05/ventilator-shortage-as-missouri-virus-hospitalizations-spike/

We have 28 cases a day being confirmed currently most of which are in lockdown.  Why arent people gathering who are likely covid safe and covid free?

Like I said this is being done for the optics. 

Meanwhile at the euros, we have players testing positive mid tournament, and we are not seeing these sorts of restrictions being imposed.

From your article LP:

The number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients jumped by nearly 27% over the Fourth of July weekend in a hard-hit area of Missouri where immunization rates are low, leading to a temporary ventilator shortfall and a public call for help from respiratory therapists.

We currently have 83 people in hospital with COVID across the country.  One BBQ by a sportsman isn't going to significantly change this landscape, and had it not been reported, no one would be the wiser. 

Our total from the last 1.5 years, is just a bit north of the DAILY English national tally of covid cases.

Missoura is a cautionary tale of what happens if you have a flippant approach to everything, but that doesn't mean you go the complete opposite either.  It means finding a balance of acceptable normal, and thus far, Id argue that NSW are in that sweet spot with whats happening.

That doesn't mean the man should have his contract torn up for hosting a BBQ with his teamates?? Just for the record, the party had 20 people attend, 13 of which are his teamates....  What that means, is that he can train, play and shower with these blokes, but share a meal in a private setting, and GONE.

This is way over the top IMHO.  Sure he is a repeat offender (he went to a cafe last year, when they were in hubs....) but this is a bit ridiculous if you ask me and keep in mind these guys are getting covid tested way more frequently than average Joe.

Paul Hewson

Reply #7
This is way over the top IMHO.  Sure he is a repeat offender (he went to a cafe last year, when they were in hubs....) but this is a bit ridiculous if you ask me and keep in mind these guys are getting covid tested way more frequently than average Joe.
It's because like Missouri we have low vaccination rates, it's the vaccination deniers that have caused the reaction as much as the ignorant players. The current status is not the same as the potential risk.

It's a billion$ industry, a lot of it's wealth comes from and courtesy of the State and Federal Governments, if the club didn't act the NRL might act and government would act, and then the whole competition would pay the regulatory price for years to come.

Nobody will look at that total potential risk and ascertain that one recidivist player deserves leniency, they aren't going to turn the other cheek. They've sold and secured the continuation of the competition to the regulators on the basis of being responsible citizens.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
Perhaps the f***wit doesn't understand the rules.  Cry like a baby, you greedy ignorant d!ck

Reply #9
It's because like Missouri we have low vaccination rates, it's the vaccination deniers that have caused the reaction as much as the ignorant players. The current status is not the same as the potential risk.

It's a billion$ industry, a lot of it's wealth comes from and courtesy of the State and Federal Governments, if the club didn't act the NRL might act and government would act, and then the whole competition would pay the regulatory price for years to come.

Nobody will look at that total potential risk and ascertain that one recidivist player deserves leniency, they aren't going to turn the other cheek. They've sold and secured the continuation of the competition to the regulators on the basis of being responsible citizens.

Yes but that is about optics.  Optics that Joe average only find out about if it becomes media reported.

I get it, we are approaching this from "the standard you walk past is the standard you are willing to accept" but a basic assessment of risk means that this isn't that big an issue in the scheme of things and the punishment doesn't really fit the crime.

He is training, playing and showering with these guys but have them over at your place and you are sacked....

Paul Hewson

Reply #10
He is training, playing and showering with these guys but have them over at your place and you are sacked....
As much as we hate it, and as much as we know that it is a completely false premise, they are public role models and they get unjustifiably held to a higher standard which is the price they pay for having extraordinary wages.

I'm even seeing a strict focus on compliance in suburban football, the fines can kill a suburban club, who knows what the authorities might do to the professional club to set an example.

Nobody wants to be like us or Storm just because of a barbecue, a lot of people in professional sport think booze should be banned in season anyway, they see it as unprofessional and just wait for an excuse to say I told you so!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
As much as we hate it, and as much as we know that it is a completely false premise, they are public role models and they get unjustifiably held to a higher standard which is the price they pay for having extraordinary wages.

I'm even seeing a strict focus on compliance in suburban football, the fines can kill a suburban club, who knows what the authorities might do to the professional club to set an example.

Nobody wants to be like us or Storm just because of a barbecue, a lot of people in professional sport think booze should be banned in season anyway, they see it as unprofessional and just wait for an excuse to say I told you so!

My problem is more one of philosophy with this.

I actually care very little about this guy, and the fact he has been sacked, but I look at this overall episode and how its being applied and I see two very real problems.

1.  Joe average wouldn't be treated the same because Joe Average wouldnt make headlines.

2.  Joe average would have LESS confidence in their COVID status, because they wouldnt be in the same sort of bubble, with the same amount of testing applied to them.

Scomo literally jumped on a plane, flew around the world, and met with world leaders in a country that has recorded more positives in the last 2 weeks, than we have during the pandemics duration, and yet look at the disproportionate response here.  I think a Rugby Player probably has more confidence in their covid status than Scomo as an example. 

These are the scenarios that make everyone think that the covid response is stupid, and by tearing up his contract, it actually fuels more public hatred in the pandemic, and does more to damage the covid response and the way we are applying rules to "stay safe" than it does to instil people with confidence.

It smacks of ruling with an Iron Fist, and that is something I will never really subscribe to as its the precise motion that enabled a holocaust to occur in Nazi Germany with few questioning the regime. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
The penalty wasn't handed out by the government.

Joe Average can see the potential problem as easily as Scotty from Marketing, and I suspect the club and NRL recognised the failure of the pub test.

To me it's more akin to the speeding teenagers, heaps of teenagers defend that by claiming after the fact that nothing bad happened, but then sometimes parents end up burying their kids instead like the accident the other night north of Melbourne.

Nobody in a position of responsibility will leave the fate of the NRL competition to chance.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
The penalty wasn't handed out by the government.

Joe Average can see the potential problem as easily as Scotty from Marketing, and I suspect the club and NRL recognised the failure of the pub test.

To me it's more akin to the speeding teenagers, heaps of teenagers defend that by claiming after the fact that nothing bad happened, but then sometimes parents end up burying their kids instead like the accident the other night north of Melbourne.

Nobody in a position of responsibility will leave the fate of the NRL competition to chance.

No it wasnt handed out by the government, but the conditions under which they compete is, which results in this heavy handed approach to "covid breaches".

Your analogy to speeding needs to be qualified to the appropriate conditions to be worth comparing as a blanket approach to speeding is the same approach to our covid restrictions which sees the vast majority of health care workers I speak to really disagreeing with the pandemic response, which is telling.

The risk of speeding is different depending on how many other people are on the roads, which roads you are driving on, the experience of the driver and how fast the car is travelling with this analogy rendering it a useless true statement and a ridiculous analogy.

This is akin to pulling someone over on the Stuart highway for doing 130 and stating you could kill someone at that speed.  That is true, but that would involve a lot of extenuating circumstances to occur, and the same risk profile doesnt apply to all highways the same way AND this is a legal speed limit on sections of the Stuart Highway.

The risk profiles change depending on the conditions (likewise with Covid).  Again, this is all about the optics, and I personally believe its a bad reason to do anything and it fails a common sense reaction.  NOTE, he is being sanctioned quite heavily.  You wont find nurses losing their jobs for working in multiple covid facilities and breaking proper covid risk rules, but like you state, they arent held to the same standard, right?

Paul Hewson

Reply #14
You wont find nurses losing their jobs for working in multiple covid facilities and breaking proper covid risk rules, but like you state, they arent held to the same standard, right?
But that's already happened in some facilities.

And their have been Joe Average members of the public arrested and fined for breaching COVID rules, some have even been put into detention.

If you think it's about the optics, then I understand your Stuart Highway analogy, but I'd assert that sends a message and has a real world impact, and of course the person you kill can be yourself but we should not assume that is a victimless crime. It can have a dramatic impact on Emergency Services for example, as much as suicide can impact a family.
The Force Awakens!