Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 17: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 8328 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 17: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #30
The only two times Geelong have won a game 70-44, 1952 and 1958, an Aussie won Wimbledon.

Reply #31
Actually, win today would have put us on the tip end of the 8. We don't have alot left to bring in. Probably Fisher, Honey and a couple of kids.

I know the Maths says we could make it but we are relying on other teams losing and I think Richmond and GWS will win their fair share between now and seasons end.
Honey and Fisher cant be any worse than Martin.....list management has been average, I know we have injuries but have had no KP defense back up and should have taken a tall KP in the mid season draft who can play both ends. Why we picked another small in Boyd is beyond me. Teague has his detractors but he up against it with what he has to work with...

Reply #32
I think the game itself, given our late outs, was much closer than I expected.

The scoreboard isn't a true indicator of the play and I bet Scott and a bunch of Handbagger coaches will be very unhappy. If the Handbaggers play like that in finals they won't go far.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #33
We will drop a game to either Collingwood or North because we're on that level.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #34
I reckon Cottrel would have been a better choice than Setterfield, at least he would have bashed and crashed more which what you need vs Geel.
Setterfield wont contest properly.....cannot tolerate that vs any team let alone the decent ones.
I would have given Carroll a go....once we lost Jones and Casboult and had to play a banged up Cripps we were up against it.
I dont see Cottrell staying on the list, handy honest player but not going to take us anywhere.
We got lucky Geelong had two bananas like Stanley and Esava playing, if Cameron had played we probably would have lost by ten goals...

Reply #35
shocking coaching.

Teague confirmed to me he's not up to it....
[/quo
Did you miss the soft, insipid repeated turnover coming out of the back line all night?

And others all over the ground really.

That's nothing to do with losing a few players.

Our guys are mentally very weak.

Picking blokes like Setters doesn't help - hope that bloke donates his pay check to a charity this week.
Setterfield is not up to it and should be delisted and stuffed if I know why he keeps getting games.

However I’m more annoyed in Martin and Williams.

I’m sick of hearing the excuses for these overpaid cheats. We would have got a few more wins this year if those 2 blokes in particular played somewhere close to the standard they are being paid for.

Add McGovern to that list and we have not got any return on those big money recruits. Paid for mangos, received 3 lemons.

Reply #36
Some really diverse opinions on here.
Funny how we watch the same game and see different things.

For the most part I'm quite OK with today given the 'fractured' side we put out there.
Yep we had  few passengers.
The difference between last week and this is...  when you play a lesser quality side you're able to support each other, so the weaknesses aren't as apparent.
Up against a stronger side it becomes more of an 'every man for himself' situation and some just aren't up to it.
It exposes  the passengers.
A couple of late outs makes it even harder.

In general the effort was a  pass.
The kicking was a fail

As to the coaching...I think Teague's trying a few things
One of the juggling acts  is that since the GWS games we've restricted opposition sides to 73, 64 and 70 indicating a focus on the defensive side of our game.
How much has that limited our own scoring....gee it's not like we didn't have our opportunities today.

Reply #37
We will drop a game to either Collingwood or North because we're on that level.
I think club expectations would be solid wins vs both those teams who are below us and struggling with a caretaker coach in Collingwoods case and a rebuild with young kids for Nth.
If we cant win and beat both those teams well then its going to be hard for any review to save Teague IMO.

Reply #38
Reading the Geelong Board. They are just happy to take the points and move on after that one.
Fair enough, for them. Maybe they realize they couldn't put away a team with half its list unavailable.
We did so much right, only to turn it over and give it to them on a platter.

Not enough players really put in, but we had some absolute winners on the day: Weitering slaughtered Hawkins; Walsh had leather poisoning; Saad did a great job ... But our disposal killed us.

I didn't expect to win when we lost Casboult and Jones. That hurt us a lot and robbed us so much flexibility. But we were also out-coached: far too often Geelong had an extra in defence and it ended up being either Tuohey or Henderson. Talk about rubbing salt into the wounds.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #39
Fair enough, for them. Maybe they realize they couldn't put away a team with half its list unavailable.
We did so much right, only to turn it over and give it to them on a platter.

Not enough players really put in, but we had some absolute winners on the day: Weitering slaughtered Hawkins; Walsh had leather poisoning; Saad did a great job ... But our disposal killed us.

I didn't expect to win when we lost Casboult and Jones. That hurt us a lot and robbed us so much flexibility. But we were also out-coached: far too often Geelong had an extra in defence and it ended up being either Tuohey or Henderson. Talk about rubbing salt into the wounds.

Unfortunately, with our outs and lack of height, we had to play an extra in defence. Makes it easy for a player like Stewart when it goes into our forward 50. May have been better going into the F50 low, if there was no clear target, so as to keep it at ground level.

Reply #40
You can't win if you can't kick.  Our number one failing.  We deserve to be where we are.

Totally inadequate training in a basic effin' skill. 

Reply #41
That’s exactly as I saw the game
I’d also throw Plowman in with the ta ta group

The truth is that all of Setterfield, Curnow, Martin, Plowman, Newnes are barely AFL standard, whilst Kennedy, Newman are too often average. Fogarty ison the cusp. Martin hot and cold

Way too many passengers

I'm prepared to give Martin a chance as he has shown his skill and talent in the past. The sooner we find out if the likes of Kemp, Ramsey, Honey, Philp are any good, they sooner we can move the others on. What we learnt today was the diabolical decision to delist KPD cover (and not replace them) in Macreadie, Goodard and to an extent B Silvagni for the day like today  where we lost Jones, Weitering or heaven forbid both. Plowman gave away 20kg and god knows how many cms to Ratta Tat Tat so he was on a hiding to nothing. I would have delisted Marchbank and kept someone like Goodard personally. We got OMac as cover but he his injured.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #42
I'm prepared to give Martin a chance as he has shown his skill and talent in the past. The sooner we find out if the likes of Kemp, Ramsey, Honey, Philp are any good, they sooner we can move the others on. What we learnt today was the diabolical decision to delist KPD cover (and not replace them) in Macreadie, Goodard and to an extent B Silvagni for the day like today  where we lost Jones, Weitering or heaven forbid both. Plowman gave away 20kg and god knows how many cms to Ratta Tat Tat so he was on a hiding to nothing. I would have delisted Marchbank and kept someone like Goodard personally. We got OMac as cover but he his injured.

Kerr would be pretty handy right now too. Wasn't as if he couldn't play.

Reply #43
Fully agree and I'll keep saying it but we knew mid season draft we had most of those injuries and were only tempting fate with either Jones or Weitering getting injured and should have recruited a taller KP type who could play both ends instead of Boyd.
Plowman got lucky that Esava is a spud and couldnt take a mark to save himself but we wont get that lucky every week and the
list management team have to wear this and not the poor coach who has to make do with what he has left.
The list management team knew the only replacement KP player McDonald was injured but did nothing about....you never know but that one taller player may have made all the difference today.

Reply #44
Fully agree and I'll keep saying it but we knew mid season draft we had most of those injuries and were only tempting fate with either Jones or Weitering getting injured and should have recruited a taller KP type who could play both ends instead of Boyd.
Plowman got lucky that Esava is a spud and couldnt take a mark to save himself but we wont get that lucky every week and the
list management team have to wear this and not the poor coach who has to make do with what he has left.
The list management team knew the only replacement KP player McDonald was injured but did nothing about....you never know but that one taller play may have made all the difference today.

An extra tall down back meant we wouldn't have had too play an extra there. It meant the like of Stewart was able intercept all day as it meant they had an extra too.