Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game Promise AFL Rd 18 Carlton vs Collingwood at the MCG (Read 9455 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game Promise AFL Rd 18 Carlton vs Collingwood at the MCG

Reply #15
Have we traded out any 2021 draft picks? If not, we’ll have the usual ambivalence towards late-season wins.

There's an article from late April this year, that suggests we have 1st 2nd and 4th round draft picks intact. At the time of writing, we had picks 6,25 and 61.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/603145/indicative-draft-order-check-out-your-clubs-picks

Reply #16
GoPies, then :P

Reply #17
The Casboult/ Jones outs had me thinking we may have already started 'player management'. ;)
We'll probably know for sure when Cripps has an issue that keeps him sidelined for the  rest of the year.

A couple of our youngsters look like they need a game too. ;)

Reply #18
Going to be easy to sack Teague if we have run up the white flag and gone the tanking route....not sure thats fair on him if we start playing too many kids and get cleaned up badly from here on in.
I thought we had rebuilt and only needed draft picks to trade for top up cream on the cake players?.....😉

Reply #19
LP... "there's nobody in our F50 that deserves to be replaced by Honey".

So,  Martin's last month has  really impressed you?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #20
LP... "there's nobody in our F50 that deserves to be replaced by Honey".

So,  Martin's last month has  really impressed you?
No, but even so what Honey delivered in the VFL isn't making him a viable replacement.

Sure, it looks like Martin needs a rest, but just as we can't have guys retain spots by default, we can't have guys get promotions by default. Undeserved promotion frames a horrible culture, they'll can't just fork around in the 2s until some bastard trips over in the 1s!

Carroll has played good games since returning from injury, give him a run.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #21
Are we forgetting about Fisher? Surely he comes in for Martin.

Reply #22
GoPies, then :P
Well its at the point (have been for a while) where finals a virtually no chance so no point in flogging players like:
Cripps
Martin
Williams
Jones
And risking players:
Curnow
Gov
Fisher
Gibbons
"Play the kids and manage the injured".
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #23
Going to be easy to sack Teague if we have run up the white flag and gone the tanking route....not sure thats fair on him if we start playing too many kids and get cleaned up badly from here on in.
I thought we had rebuilt and only needed draft picks to trade for top up cream on the cake players?.....😉
Not its not, look at the injury list? Why flog them more? We'll be lucky to win a couple more. Time for the peanuts in charge to grow some balls, back the coach and develop him and the team into finals contenders. Stop taking the "easy route" which has proven wrong time and time again.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #24
No, but even so what Honey delivered in the VFL isn't making him a viable replacement.

Sure, it looks like Martin needs a rest, but just as we can't have guys retain spots by default, we can't have guys get promotions by default. Undeserved promotion frames a horrible culture, they'll can't just fork around in the 2s until some bastard trips over in the 1s!

Carroll has played good games since returning from injury, give him a run.
Agree with Prof, Honey is a decent size and AFL ready, Martin has been average and needs a rest. We complain about conversion
and that is a strength of Honey, he is a good kick and opportunist.
Carroll deserves a game as well....maybe start him as the sub then introduce him properly the next week as he isnt as built as Honey and let him have a look/ a quarter of footy with the pace off the game.
Whats do we have to lose?.....we need to find fresh talent rather than rotating deckchairs.

Reply #25
It's funny but I would look at putting Martin on the Half Back flank.    Even at VFL level.   Get him in the game a little more.

Reply #26

If it becomes obvious that we are 'player managing' that probably means coaching decisions have been made and Teague would be aware of it...it would indicate to me that he's more likely to have been told he's got the extra 12 months of his contract.

Reply #27
Not its not, look at the injury list? Why flog them more? We'll be lucky to win a couple more. Time for the peanuts in charge to grow some balls, back the coach and develop him and the team into finals contenders. Stop taking the "easy route" which has proven wrong time and time again.

Bar Essendon, all the sides above us have tough games this week. Reckon a win puts us one game out with not that tough a draw.

Reply #28

Even by our (in my opinion) appalling standards, sacking Teague after two and a half seasons, with all the attendant issues those seasons have brought, would be a new low point.

Reply #29

If it becomes obvious that we are 'player managing' that probably means coaching decisions have been made and Teague would be aware of it...it would indicate to me that he's more likely to have been told he's got the extra 12 months of his contract.

Suspect he has been assured of another year with Clarko in the wings for 2023 if needed.
Reality always wins in the end.