Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game Promise AFL Rd 18 Carlton vs Collingwood at the MCG (Read 9474 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game Promise AFL Rd 18 Carlton vs Collingwood at the MCG

Reply #30
Suspect he has been assured of another year with Clarko in the wings for 2023 if needed.
I'm thinking Lyon..... and Clarko picking out of Pies, GWS and maybe Suns....Hardwick is my smokey if not Lyon.
Not my way as I would stick with Teague and give him 3 years.

Reply #31
Those predictions of 11 wins for the season are looking mighty shaky.   We'll struggle to field a side by the end given the current rate of attrition.  Some bold coaching and selections required.

Yeah, when i wrote that it was with all things being equal and given that we were getting players back.
I think we have close to double the amount of injuries we had at the time of that prediction.

Injuries are not an excuse, they are a reason.

TBH, i thought we'd get a 10 goal loss when i heard the outs last week. Boys did us proud. They are hanging in there, but surely the finger in the dyke will eventually fail.
I just hope its not this week.

Reply #32
I'm thinking Lyon..... and Clarko picking out of Pies, GWS and maybe Suns....Hardwick is my smokey if not Lyon.
Agree.

Will not renew memberships if Teague goes and Lyon comes in. No way.

Reply #33

Fair enough EB. It will likely be one of those three. The Pies will probably go hard fo Clarko IMO.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #34
Bar Essendon, all the sides above us have tough games this week. Reckon a win puts us one game out with not that tough a draw.
We may as well be last,  not a hope in hell of making finals, "develop" the team for next year.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #35
Agree.

Will not renew memberships if Teague goes and Lyon comes in. No way.
Lyon would grind our way to finals but he himself is unproven as a Premiership coach and would need to have altered his game plan ideas to be able to formulate a plan to kick bigger scores.
He understands the game well and I like his analysis work but can he coach in the modern era?
A lot of Blues fans would probably be happy with regular finals which he would probably provide and thats where the temptation is. He was a micro manager at Freo and didnt bother too much with what his assistants though , as we have seen today its a team effort now in the coaching box and poor assistants usually lead to poor results.
Lot of iffs and buts with Ross compared to Clarkson and Hardwick...

Reply #36
We may as well be last,  not a hope in hell of making finals, "develop" the team for next year.

If we win the 3 ones we should win and the two 50/50s we get in actually. Did the predictor and gave us those games just a logistic exercise. Being Carlton, not sure we are actually winning all those of course but that is how it stands. Might end up more 9 to 10 wins but while you are there you keep going. Anything else just reinforces our loser mentality, which is the last thing we want. More we win, the more the winning mentality starts to sink in.

Reply #37
Fair enough EB. It will likely be one of those three. The Pies will probably go hard fo Clarko IMO.
Cookie...Clarko looks like he has had enough and wants a retirement coaching job...looks tired of it all and when you hear him speak its about family, work life balance, could be here in Aus he says or overseas doing other things.
You and I as retiree's would know those feelings and I'd be questioning his commitment...if I have to spend extra or pander to get him to commit then I probably wouldnt be interested.
Lyon wants a premiership to define him as a great because he has an ego, and Hardwick wants a fresh start to drag back some of that respect he has lost IMHO.......

Reply #38
Hardwick was treading water until he got Balme, and other assistants around him to provide proper support. Unless he gets that at Carlton, he won't be a good get IMO.

Reply #39
Hardwick was treading water until he got Balme, and other assistants around him to provide proper support. Unless he gets that at Carlton, he won't be a good get IMO.
I think any of the big name coaches will pick their own assistants, Lyon is probably the one who cares less about assistants as he ran more of a Dictatorship and assistants to him were like handmaids....

Reply #40
Lyon would grind our way to finals but he himself is unproven as a Premiership coach and would need to have altered his game plan ideas to be able to formulate a plan to kick bigger scores.
He understands the game well and I like his analysis work but can he coach in the modern era?
A lot of Blues fans would probably be happy with regular finals which he would probably provide and thats where the temptation is. He was a micro manager at Freo and didnt bother too much with what his assistants though , as we have seen today its a team effort now in the coaching box and poor assistants usually lead to poor results.
Lot of iffs and buts with Ross compared to Clarkson and Hardwick...

We don't have the ball skills to play a defensive style game Lyon would bring. That was borne out last week. It's tough enough for most sides to use it well in that situation, let alone us.

Reply #41
We don't have the ball skills to play a defensive style game Lyon would bring. That was borne out last week. It's tough enough for most sides to use it well in that situation, let alone us.
Not sure how well Lyons defence would be with the 6-6-6 rule.

Reply #43
They are 15th on the ladder for a reason. We have failed in every single test to beat the better teams which is hard enough to except in year 6 of a rebuild but lose ones like this week and there is no denying we are again still a bottom 4 team.  Yep we have injuries but they are also missing their 2 best players who dominated us in the first game.  

Time for some to stand up - we have been very patient with Martin and Williams and made excuses why they don't live up to the hype well i say enough is enough. Overdue they repay the faith and start to bloody earn their hefty pay check. We have gone from all eggs in the Cripps basket to all our eggs in the Walsh and Weitering basket as Cripps is busted. 

Well overdue for others to share the load - we are going no where until we stop complaining about things out of control and start focusing on areas we can control. We have been sh1thouse for too long and every year its a new set of 'reasons' why we are still sh1te.

Massive week IMO to see what our club is made of and who wants this win more.

Reply #44
Think Lyon would be big on midfield defensive pressure and not allowing teams easy entry into the forward line. There would be a lot more emphasis on accountability running both ways. If you watch him on footy class he goes off his brain at players being allowed to run unchecked and create overlaps or increased numbers at contests.
Freo were a full on big bodied physical pressure team who wore teams into the ground but lacked finishers who could kick a winning score. I think he would find the balance hard to achieve with our list as it stands and would need to make changes or really reverse the playing style of many of our players.