Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game Promise AFL Rd 18 Carlton vs Collingwood at the MCG (Read 9532 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game Promise AFL Rd 18 Carlton vs Collingwood at the MCG

Reply #135
I wish you luck!

The only game this season where I was convinced we'd win was against a Collingwood side that was an absolute rabble ... and that worked out well.

It's going to be more of a challenge this time but, if the coach gets his act together, we have to be in with a chance.

I've seen a difference in our side over the past 3 weeks... much better intensity and respect for team defense. I think he has changed his approach, or been told to, or has someone in the 'shadows' with more coaching control/input. IF we bring that today, my red 20 spot will grow! Sticking with a win of 44+.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #136
We're in with a strong chance.  That's if the commitment follows.  If we lose this, I'm shutting up shop. 

Reply #137
Little to do with the coach and more to do with the players and what they stand for. Chances of playing finals are as close to zero as fark is to swearing. At some point we will see players who have checked out for the year, hope it not today.

Can’t agree with that G2C.  AFL footballers have to be competitive beasts and they give their all when they step on to the ground.  However, if they’re playing injured, out of position, with the wrong match up, or under flawed instructions, their best won’t be good enough.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #138
Collingwood are not very good, they lost quality players preseason, have been in turmoil off the field and also have key players out injured like us and are playing a lot of kids. They have a newbie fill in coach and really if we can't beat them well then we are not progressing. They are a bottom team for a reason and there are no excuses for us in this game. Geelong are a polished finished product and the result was as expected but this is about as good as it gets in terms of a weak Collingwood both on and off the field.

Reply #139
Collingwood are not very good, they lost quality players preseason, have been in turmoil off the field and also have key players out injured like us and are playing a lot of kids. They have a newbie fill in coach and really if we can't beat them well then we are not progressing. They are a bottom team for a reason and there are no excuses for us in this game. Geelong are a polished finished product and the result was as expected but this is about as good as it gets in terms of a weak Collingwood both on and off the field.

That's probably what Richmond thought last week EB  ;)

Even with their list management debacle and injuries to key players, their depth is greater and they're going into the game with one of the best rucks, a ruck/key forward and a serviceable key forward vs our novice ruckman, an undersized, makeshift second ruck/half forward and an in form key forward.  We still have to be in with a chance, provided we don't go with a five man forward line again.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #140
We're in with a strong chance.  That's if the commitment follows.  If we lose this, I'm shutting up shop. 

Yep that makes 2 of us. They are 15th for a reason this year. Lose this and I’m done till next year.

Reply #141
Can’t agree with that G2C.  AFL footballers have to be competitive beasts and they give their all when they step on to the ground.  However, if they’re playing injured, out of position, with the wrong match up, or under flawed instructions, their best won’t be good enough.
Fair enough, there is a lot in that so lets break it down:
- Firstly to my original point, Jesus Christ can coach them but history shows when there is nothing to play for, some blokes take the easy route and check out. What I was trying to say was lets see what type of group we have, is one who self driven and gives its all not matter what or one who is planning their footy trip.
- Playing Injured -  There isn't a player on a list in the AFL who isn't sore or has a niggle at this time of the year. This is up to Russell to manage and either put em away for the year or manage them through such that when they cross the line, they are fit to play and give a contest for 120 mins.
- Out of position, wrong match up or Flawed Instructions - this is definitely on the coaching group (and will be one of the main discussion points of the 3 man review panel). If this is indeed been happening, dunno if they are going to change anything in the remaining games.
Both teams are playing for pride today, lets see who has more.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #142
Spot on as usual EB.

And if we needed any extra motivation a club legend in Serge passing this week prior to a game against the old enemy is enough to get the boys wanting to put on a good display in his honour.  Need decent contributions from the likes of Williams ed and Martin and we should get over this mob.

Reply #143
Little to do with the coach and more to do with the players and what they stand for. Chances of playing finals are as close to zero as fark is to swearing. At some point we will see players who have checked out for the year, hope it not today.

A win today will put us within a game of the 8, with North to come (who are playing some decent footy though).

Reply #144
Fair enough, there is a lot in that so lets break it down:
- Firstly to my original point, Jesus Christ can coach them but history shows when there is nothing to play for, some blokes take the easy route and check out. What I was trying to say was lets see what type of group we have, is one who self driven and gives its all not matter what or one who is planning their footy trip.
- Playing Injured -  There isn't a player on a list in the AFL who isn't sore or has a niggle at this time of the year. This is up to Russell to manage and either put em away for the year or manage them through such that when they cross the line, they are fit to play and give a contest for 120 mins.
- Out of position, wrong match up or Flawed Instructions - this is definitely on the coaching group (and will be one of the main discussion points of the 3 man review panel). If this is indeed been happening, dunno if they are going to change anything in the remaining games.
Both teams are playing for pride today, lets see who has more.

Your last 2 points contradict each other.

If players are deemed not fit, then players must be played out of position.

Simply look at our ruck situation currently.

Injuries have ruined our season and/or stopped us from recovering it. Suggesting anything else is naive.

Reply #145
Fogarty the sub

Reply #146
Your last 2 points contradict each other.

If players are deemed not fit, then players must be played out of position.

Simply look at our ruck situation currently.

Injuries have ruined our season and/or stopped us from recovering it. Suggesting anything else is naive.
How you came to that conclusion is beyond my little brain to figure out.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #147
Fogarty the sub

Left out of the starting 22 due to being 'managed,' then finds himself as the medical sub  ::)

Then The TT says pre game that its up to the players to find their own motivation? Straight from the Whoosha handbook... don't know how many times he said the same thing. Good grief.

Reply #148
Left out of the starting 22 due to being 'managed,' then finds himself as the medical sub  ::)

Then The TT says pre game that its up to the players to find their own motivation? Straight from the Whoosha handbook... don't know how many times he said the same thing. Good grief.
Sorry but I agree with him. The display thus far by our blokes is exactly what I expected. Poor, meek, allowing ball to come out of our fwd line and into their fwd 50 without a single contest.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #149
Sorry but I agree with him. The display thus far by our blokes is exactly what I expected. Poor, meek, allowing ball to come out of our fwd line and into their fwd 50 without a single contest.

They seem motivated in this game, just decision making and decision making is letting us down.

Motivation can't be left to the individual and the individual alone. Team effort to help and lift each other.