Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 18: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 7069 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 18: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #31
Fun fact of the day....

Jack Silvagni was our =5th tallest player today, listed at 191cm. (Jones, Weitering, TDK, Harry)
Lachie Plowman is the same height (although some suggest he is 193cm), and is asked to play on the Eddie Betts' types.

2 blokes, same height.....asked to play on the tallest and smallest of opposition.

Jack gets credit for playing ruck and punching above his weight......which he should.
Plowman gets chastised routinely because the smaller types give him a hard time. - Fair is fair. Give the bloke some credit.
Plowman costs goals week after week and is poor decision maker. Had an opportunity to run across and kill a contest near the boundary instead just lopped in, Coll player marks and has a shot on goal. On another occasion he comes second man in (unnecessarily) and lays a crude tackle, free kick. Henry kicked goals on him because he was clueless when he has to defend. I'm sick of the excuses. Our defence has been poor this year and he is a weak link that must be replaced. The gap between his best and worst is huge.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #33
I'm happy for the win, but it is frustrating to see the boys playing in patches, and as a consequence making things harder for themselves. The Pies also play in patches, and if I'm being honest I think we got a little lucky that our good patch coincided with their bad.

Reply #34
Plowman gets chastised routinely because the smaller types give him a hard time. - Fair is fair. Give the bloke some credit.
He did a great job today, which allowed the likes of Saad, Williams and Williamson to get up the ground. Fans crucify Plowman because he makes the effort to get to unwinnable contests, and he will inevitably get caught out and cannot win them all, so they blame him and not the guys who left those players unmarked.

But if Plowman doesn't leave his man and make those contests the guys like Saad and Williams would be anchored in D50.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
Does Teague & his assistants get any credit for the comeback? Did he adjust after the Pies took the lead? Even if he didn’t, he should get credit for not panicking and allowing the players to fight back. The players’ effort also shows he hasn’t lost the players.

It seemed to me that Williams and Saad played further up the ground in the second half and got plenty of intercepts coming off at 45 degrees.  However, whatever Teague said to the boys at three quarter time was gold and he deserves credit for that.

I'm just toasting the boys, their coach and the great Sergio Silvagni with an Irish single malt ...
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #36
Dow and Kennedy have improved out of sight since our stoppages coach Barker left. They are getting a regular game obviously feel that they belong and looking at them after the game are clearly enjoying being part of the team. Even SPS is starting to play alright away from the hbf, and seeing fisher in the centre in the last gave us a bit of grit I wonder if it was Barker who wanted him to be a small forward and SPS a hbf. Can’t wait till Stocker can spend some more time there as well. Amazing when players are played where they were recruited to play and not judged on the forced poor development of Bolton’s era where we were told just get 50 games into them.

Reply #37
Look at the way the fixture is structured, win the next 2 weeks and I reckon we sit in the 8.

Reply #38
Robert Harvey:
It was the dam wall
Their midfield really got on top
We just couldn't stop it

4 or 5 wks ago I would not have predicted that commentary about our midfield. It's a credit to the players and coaches. There's been obvious progress since the bye.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #39
Fun fact of the day....

Jack Silvagni was our =5th tallest player today, listed at 191cm. (Jones, Weitering, TDK, Harry)
Lachie Plowman is the same height (although some suggest he is 193cm), and is asked to play on the Eddie Betts' types.

2 blokes, same height.....asked to play on the tallest and smallest of opposition.

Jack gets credit for playing ruck and punching above his weight......which he should.
Jack is still taller than Big Nick!

Reply #41
Walsh heat map. I kid you not...haha. That's sticking it up the Pies!

He was obviously enjoying himself while cutting up the Pies...lol.

Reply #42
He did a great job today, which allowed the likes of Saad, Williams and Williamson to get up the ground. Fans crucify Plowman because he makes the effort to get to unwinnable contests, and he will inevitably get caught out and cannot win them all, so they blame him and not the guys who left those players unmarked.

But if Plowman doesn't leave his man and make those contests the guys like Saad and Williams would be anchored in D50.

Fans (me anyway) criticise Plowman because he lopes when he should run, makes dumb decisions regularly and costs the team energy sapping goals. Not many say he never does anything good and that he deserves zero credit for anything but he needs to sort out what's going on between his ears because his panic attacks cost us goals and more importantly impact on all of the younger players around him.

Not to say he doesn't get some tough jobs and holds some good small forwards on occasion.

His good may or may not outweigh his bad but we need to set our sights higher as a club than blokes who get aren't ALWAYS bad. We need elite calm decision makers - especially in defence.

Reply #43
 Jordan Boyd
 Levi Casboult
 David Cuningham
 Charlie Curnow
 Sam Docherty
 Michael Gibbons   
 Caleb Marchbank
 Oscar McDonald
 Mitch McGovern
 Alex Mirkov
 Marc Murphy
 Sam Philp
 Marc Pittonet
 Patrick Cripps

14 out. What an effort to win 3 of the last 4. Zero depth in the big men stakes. Dekoning too young to be playing first ruck and still bring home the 4 points.

SOS was immense today. Such a competitor!

Reply #44
Touching post-match scenes of SOS and his teammates. Tough bugger Stocker providing much love staying right by his side offering words of comfort. As sad as this loss is, it also offers another opportunity to galvanize the group. Serge would like that.

Well done to all today. Did us all proud 💙
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.