Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 19: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 14547 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 19: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #15
Absolutely disgraceful effort. That goes close to being one of the most disappointing games from us that I have ever witnessed, especially against the bottom team with a place in the 8 at stake. Cue in rack.

We did that last year as I recall. A similarly razor thin chance was blown.

I don't know what to think to be honest. All I know is we have an interesting few weeks ahead as the review progresses. That, like today's game, may put us ahead of Pies in the disgraced club stakes.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #16
I thought exactly the same thing. We looked knackered.

Losing does that, deflates motivation. And our motivation is fragile enough to begin with. Noble knew that, and other things, about us and coached accordingly. We were obliterated long before players looked tired. The Kangabies came out after half time with even more endeavour... which the scoreboard reflected.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #17
Covid did us a favour... none of us could be at the ground to sit through that spiritless 2nd half.

Reply #18
We did that last year as I recall. A similarly razor thin chance was blow.

I don't know what to think to be honest. All I know is we have an interesting few weeks ahead as the review progresses. That, like today's game, may put us ahead of Pies in the disgraced club stakes.

Yes, Eddie seemed particularly pleased with our performance.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #19
Half expected a loss with what we put out there. Didn't expect that 2nd half.

We don't have that inner drive to consistently play with intensity every week. We did it for a few weeks after the bye but the motivation isn't there to keep doing it. External motivation was there, a shot at the 8, but the problem is the players have to care enough.

Reminded me of the Gold Coast game in 2012. Had to win to make the finals and we showed a complete lack of effort. Stamped Ratten's papers, something we have paid for ever since. We need to get to the root of the problem in the club otherwise nothing is fixed. We will continue to waste year after year.

Reply #20
The best leaders have always said, "The buck stops with me."

Could be an interesting week at PP.

I couldn't really tell you what the best leaders have said. If Teague goes to Liddle and tells him "the buck stops with me" then Liddle should properly fob him off with something like "you're very noble, but I have no time for martyrdom or stupidity. The buck stops with the actual source of the problem, not with yet another sacrifice to to the footy Gods. Now get back to work and stop talking cr@p."

Reply #21
For mine, at the strength and conditioning coach.

Too many injuries.....despite being somewhat overly cautious with blokes like Kemp and Curnow who have been fit and training form months.

I think that's part of it.
We seem to have a few too many of those lighter frames that get pushed aside in the physical contests.

One of the commentators was saying before the game that in the competition this year, if you're just the slightest bit off in terms of effort and pressure you're in a bit of strife.
There was a point early on in the game where we applied some terrific forward pressure and the commentators made special mention of it...the effect of that was that it gave us a clear point of contrast for the lack of pressure later in the game.

It was disappointing, but it's probably time now to draw a line under the season.
While the chance of finals, however unlikely, was still there it probably delayed some of the tasks that we need to get done in preparation for 2022....games for youngsters, clean-ups, minor ops etc.
Let's get it done and get ready for a good solid off-season.

Reply #22
i thought we were competitive in the first half. Some early scoreboard pressure would have helped. Not sure what happened after half time. Blah.
It was pretty obvious one team went out there to play like cocky millionaires (take hangers, kick flue banana dribble goals and not do one basic thing right). The other team did the basics right (especially after qtr time), worked hard, ran two ways for each other and created opportunities by exploiting to the maximum the zero pressure we applied. I'm not worried about losing against another bottom side like we are (anyone who thinks we aren't is kidding themselves), its how we lost.
We are miles off being a good side, sadly.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #23
Covid did us a favour... none of us could be at the ground to sit through that spiritless 2nd half.
I turned it off early in the 3rd, I would have got up and left if I as at the ground.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #24
even if harry played today ,we would have lost (1 player) north play that quick running modern football that was my concern going into the game that we can not match teams that play in this manner it has being happening for years . We play this stupid long u12 bomb into f50 opp just run it out . Teague needs to change this but maybe it is to late for him . Roos supporters would be so proud tonight not by winning but the system they have works ,beat eagles in perth ,our system is F...k.d

Reply #25
The irony is not lost on me.  We lost two players that do a lot more without the ball than with it in betts and Williams before half time and then we fell to pieces.  Each miss in the first half contributed to the belief slowly leaving the team.  Had we kicked even 4.3 to quarter time instead of 2.5 it would have made a big difference. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #26
If your not fit enough you don’t chase…

If your not strong enough you don’t tackle..

If your mentally soft you will struggle…

I’ve been saying all year that MR Russell and co need replacing.

As for the mental side of it I put it down to to many nice coaches holding the kids hands.
I know, old school, back in my day.

Unfortunately we can’t replace the dead wood because of the injuries.

I can hear the coach now, we need all our reserve players in form before we bring them in. Roll our sleeves up. Get back to basics. BLA FARKING BLA BLA

Reply #27
It was pretty obvious one team went out there to play like cocky millionaires (take hangers, kick flue banana dribble goals and not do one basic thing right). The other team did the basics right (especially after qtr time), worked hard, ran two ways for each other and created opportunities by exploiting to the maximum the zero pressure we applied. I'm not worried about losing against another bottom side like we are (anyone who thinks we aren't is kidding themselves), its how we lost.
We are miles off being a good side, sadly.

Nutshell.

Reply #28
I read an article with Curnow during the week and in it they said if we win all 5 games we’ll be in the 8 and he said yeah we’re just looking to reset for next year and finishing strongly will hold us in good stead for next year - or along those lines. Was not talk to me of a team that was busting to win all our remaining games to make the 8 at all.

we did the same last year.

Is it a case that if everything’s not going 100% right, we write off the season rather than cracking in Ebert damn game? Seems it to me. And that pisses me off!

Every game offers the opportunity for another player to stand up, to make more of their game, to announce themselves to AFL yet here we are still a possibility to make the 8 and being that crap. Inexcuseable!

Reply #29
Nutshell.
Lets be honest, we've been NM's bitches for a long time, we have only beaten them 6 times in the last 20. They take great pleasure in giving it to us, its ingrained in them, has been for a long time.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th