Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 19: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 14542 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 19: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #30
Looking at the stats and North's 3 main mids had 22 clearances between them. Our entire struggled to get that many. That tells you almost all you need to know. If we are not getting use of the ball, then we're always under pressure, and that makes you look slow.
Then, when we get the ball, who is there to kick to? Nobody in the forward half to take a contested mark.
It is disappointing to see so little energy, but no team is going to win when they can't get the ball out of the middle.

I hope H and Charlie are ready for next week. We need something down forward.
What we are going to do in the ruck, I don't know. TDK is the future, but he needs someone with the strength to compete with the giants. And we don't use him well around the ground. He should be getting 10 or 11 marks per game, if we kicked it to him reasonably. We don't tend to look for him enough.

It has made we wonder all year why we haven't promoted Crocker. He has shown a lot in the VFL. Granted he is no giant, but can't we learn how to pass a ball to a leading forward? We did it for Pearce and it worked brilliantly. Or have out coaches forgotten that?

I like Teague, but when we don't turn up so often, and when get out-coached like we were today, then it makes his position pretty difficult.
I'd also be looking to trade out some of the players. Although a new coach might make a difference there.

We have a lot of improvement in us, but it is about time we started showing some of it. There isn't a lot of excuse now not to play guys like Honey, etc. But until we show up, I don't know if they'll want to play.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #31
It was pretty obvious one team went out there to play like cocky millionaires (take hangers, kick flue banana dribble goals and not do one basic thing right). The other team did the basics right (especially after qtr time), worked hard, ran two ways for each other and created opportunities by exploiting to the maximum the zero pressure we applied. I'm not worried about losing against another bottom side like we are (anyone who thinks we aren't is kidding themselves), its how we lost.
We are miles off being a good side, sadly.

The captain and senior players should be setting the tone on field. A lot left to be desired in that dept imho.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #32
Looking at the stats and North's 3 main mids had 22 clearances between them. Our entire struggled to get that many. That tells you almost all you need to know. If we are not getting use of the ball, then we're always under pressure, and that makes you look slow.
Then, when we get the ball, who is there to kick to? Nobody in the forward half to take a contested mark.
It is disappointing to see so little energy, but no team is going to win when they can't get the ball out of the middle.

I hope H and Charlie are ready for next week. We need something down forward.
What we are going to do in the ruck, I don't know. TDK is the future, but he needs someone with the strength to compete with the giants. And we don't use him well around the ground. He should be getting 10 or 11 marks per game, if we kicked it to him reasonably. We don't tend to look for him enough.

It has made we wonder all year why we haven't promoted Crocker. He has shown a lot in the VFL. Granted he is no giant, but can't we learn how to pass a ball to a leading forward? We did it for Pearce and it worked brilliantly. Or have out coaches forgotten that?

I like Teague, but when we don't turn up so often, and when get out-coached like we were today, then it makes his position pretty difficult.
I'd also be looking to trade out some of the players. Although a new coach might make a difference there.

We have a lot of improvement in us, but it is about time we started showing some of it. There isn't a lot of excuse now not to play guys like Honey, etc. But until we show up, I don't know if they'll want to play.
We were demolished and bullied in the middle of the ground and around the ball pretty much all day. H, Charlie, Kernahan, Lockett, Dunstall and Ablett Snr combined wouldn't have made one iota of difference today.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #33
The captain and senior players should be setting the tone on field. A lot left to be desired in that dept imho.

Totally agree

Reply #34
Agree
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #35

That's a big issue. Culture isn't strong enough. Don't fix it and we talk about this in 20 years.

Reply #36
That's a big issue. Culture isn't strong enough. Don't fix it and we talk about this in 20 years.
Said the same thing 20 years ago!

Reply #37
We can't even cobble together a "senior" group.  And F off Murphy, you don't deserve the 300.  You can join him Russell

Reply #38
But laj, you keep telling us that we're so close. Go on, give us a laj stat. Here, I'll get you started... If Murphy had 500 possessions we would have won....

Ok, now you go... 🤣
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #39
But laj, you keep telling us that we're so close. Go on, give us a laj stat. Here, I'll get you started... If Murphy had 500 possessions we would have won....

Ok, now you go... 🤣
There it is.   ;D

Reply #40
We need a new focus on selfless leadership. There is a disturbing element of ‘look at me, I’m a star’ in the team - without mentioning names. Start by fixing that and go on from there. I’m confident it would pay dividends.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #41
Lets be honest, we've been NM's bitches for a long time, we have only beaten them 6 times in the last 20. They take great pleasure in giving it to us, its ingrained in them, has been for a long time.

Didn't we get the win last year?
I don't subscribe to the effect of ancient history. I do acknowledge the disruption this year related to injuries and the review though. Nevertheless, today's performance was dismal aside perhaps 1 quarter.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #42

Ok, now you go... 🤣
No, I don't. Do your research. That isn't me. I know it is hard for your pea brain, if you even have that.

Only turns up when we lose. Just detestable and weak as piss. Has to be better humans around. 

Missed you the last few weeks. We must've gone well. Says everything about you.

Reply #43

Ok, now you go... 🤣

You have had a bad day.   The Blues were terrible.   Things can get any worse then.....

Reply #44
We need a new focus on selfless leadership. There is a disturbing element of ‘look at me, I’m a star’ in the team - without mentioning names. Start by fixing that and go on from there. I’m confident it would pay dividends.

Accountable, uncompromising leadership is what we need.  Peer pressure. Players don't buy in they cop it from there mates.