Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Promise AFL Rd20: Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 7103 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Promise AFL Rd20: Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #30
Prime time Friday night slot! I can hear the howls of derision now from others about how we stunk it up.....again.

If, (and when ;)) we win on Friday night, the media will have to stand up and take notice. Not make judgements based on 2nd hand opinions and highlights that the majority of the media do nowadays.

Its exposure that we don't usually get.
Lets make it work for us.

Reply #31
Wonder which Carlton will turn up. Will the media pounding and criticism get us up or will we just turn up and go through the motions. Hard with the injury list.

What is totally ridiculous is if we were to win then beat the Gold Coast the week after we'd very likely sit in the 8 (do trek to Adelaide to play Port the week after which will put paid to that). That would do the media's head in...haha. We don't deserve to be at all but that's how $hit others around us are going too. Don't see it happening with both the injury list and player attitude, although the latter changes on a weekly basis. Charlie may play if McKay is out and put Cripps forward again. Not that others, Walsh excluded, are better than Cripps, but played in the midfield they play alot good football, compared to when they are not there. We actually gain quite a bit.

Reply #32
Wonder which Carlton will turn up. Will the media pounding and criticism get us up or will we just turn up and go through the motions. Hard with the injury list.

What is totally ridiculous is if we were to win then beat the Gold Coast the week after we'd very likely sit in the 8 (do trek to Adelaide to play Port the week after which will put paid to that). That would do the media's head in...haha. We don't deserve to be at all but that's how $hit others around us are going too. Don't see it happening with both the injury list and player attitude, although the latter changes on a weekly basis. Charlie may play if McKay is out and put Cripps forward again. Not that others, Walsh excluded, are better than Cripps, but played in the midfield they play alot good football, compared to when they are not there. We actually gain quite a bit.

Charlie needs to play even if Harry plays.
Most teams generally have 2 key forwards.....we had zero last week. Just a couple of midfielders impersonating (badly) key forwards.

Reply #33

Not gonna happen Jim.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #34
Can't believe we're on Friday night. Just sets up for a CR@P weekend. I'd rather play Sunday night games from here on in.

Reply #35
Can't believe we're on Friday night. Just sets up for a CR@P weekend. I'd rather play Sunday night games from here on in.
I did a quick check and surprisingly, we won last year on a Fri night v GC in Rd 13. Sadly prior to that, we beat NM in R18 on the 18 July 2014.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #37

Cripps wont be that effective anyway as his nemesis Steele will be all over him in the midfield....I'd start him forward and go back to
Kennedy as a midfielder who I would play on Steele. Curnow might have to pick up Dunstan who has been playing well...

Reply #38
Cripps wont be that effective anyway as his nemesis Steele will be all over him in the midfield....I'd start him forward and go back to
Kennedy as a midfielder who I would play on Steele. Curnow might have to pick up Dunstan who has been playing well...
While I don't think Steele needs to worry about Cripps and will just get plenty of the ball naturally, I would agree with Cripps going forward. The proviso is he actually stops the stupid wrestling thing he tried last week and just plays as a lead up. Also don't care who Ed tags as long as he tags someone.  This is his best role.

Reply #39
we need to defend as a team for once ,mids get back fill the holes,our club on display on friday night and the team need to respond to that pathetic effort against roos.

Reply #40
I saw something on Pure Footy (either episode 16 or 17) that showed St Kilda is the No3 pressure side since the bye.

Reply #41
I saw something on Pure Footy (either episode 16 or 17) that showed St Kilda is the No3 pressure side since the bye.
And us? 18th?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #42
And us? 18th?

They only mentioned the Saints. They compared their pre bye and post bye rating - I think they were 13th? 18th? and shot up to 3rd.

Reply #43
They only mentioned the Saints. They compared their pre bye and post bye rating - I think they were 13th? 18th? and shot up to 3rd.
When you get a limited set of selective results reported like that, it pays to be cynical because the media tend to cherry-pick stats that support the claims they want to make.

Without knowing who is in or out, if King gets the same run with the umpires he got last time we played, we can't win.

King could basically wrap his arms around Weitering, throw Weitering aside, have zero focus for the footy and make front on contact, and yet still be awarded a mark or free kick!

Back then King wasn't in good form, yet it made the difference, this time he is coming off a 6 goal haul!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
“ Verdict: Curnow to return from two years out of the game, Kemp to be handed an AFL debut and Fogarty to play, with Owies, Betts and Williams going out of the team. - Riley Beveridge”

Generally has good mail.