Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 20: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 12267 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 20: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #195
With respect to key defenders, IMO that mid-season draft should've been viewed as something to fill short term gaps/deficiencies....not pick a speculative type for the medium to long term. I know nothing about Jordan Boyd but would've thought we had his "type/size" reasonably covered and that a third tall was a better option given Marchbank was done. If/when one of Weitering or Jones goes down, as happened a few weeks ago, we have nobody to fill that gap...especially with McDonald also injured.

Those mid season picks were bizarre.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #196
With respect to key defenders, IMO that mid-season draft should've been viewed as something to fill short term gaps/deficiencies....not pick a speculative type for the medium to long term. I know nothing about Jordan Boyd but would've thought we had his "type/size" reasonably covered and that a third tall was a better option given Marchbank was done. If/when one of Weitering or Jones goes down, as happened a few weeks ago, we have nobody to fill that gap...especially with McDonald also injured.

Agree, 6 month contract plus the carrot of a future contract for the best state league kd you can find V a mid sized hb/wing… I know what my pick would have been.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #197
If Ben had no internal drive i doubt he'd be running around in the VFL desperately trying to get another chance. I hope he comes good. At his height there is still plenty of time up his sleeve.

Yes, there’s no question about his drive and the time factor.  However, there is a question about our player development ... again.

Ben is performing consistently in the VFL and is an important part of what has become a pretty solid defence.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #198

It’s hard to fathom the thinking behind the selection of Boyd.  Perhaps there simply wasn’t an AFL-standard KPP available.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #199
It’s hard to fathom the thinking behind the selection of Boyd.  Perhaps there simply wasn’t an AFL-standard KPP available.
Yes, and as a player it looks like Boyd could become another Stocker but an even better kick, so I suppose they decided not the waste a pick on a low percentage chance that some speculative tall might come good.

Some of it will no doubt be dependant on what the long term plans are for players like Doc, Stocker, SPS, Williams, Martin, Carroll, Cottrell, Williamson, Kemp, etc., etc.. We talk about what might be their best positions or alternative positions, but we just do not know how that will evolve, the club we assume must already have a plan.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #200

I thought about this a little bit.

Boyd posesses what appears to be elite kicking skills.

Thats a great start.  We need midfield depth, so if Boyd can release Stocker/williams/saad to the wings and midfield, then we can trade an underperforming young player for draft picks, and stockpile for the future whilst hanging onto the kids that are actually important for us now and still have some upside (I dont see how all of Dow, SPS and Lochie O Brien stay on the list, and you can include a few people in that equation who havent really fired a shot yet).  

It means we get to future proof, also today proof as Boyd could be seen as a more ready to go player and we can see how he fits in socially this season (too bad he broke down).

The Key position players are a bit different.  They are more interchangeable when you start talking depth options, and we have our first choices in each rank.  We filled a young ruckman need in the Volleyballer anyway, so we werent going to pick up a ruck that could help us now, and future proof.

The noises we are and have been making from a list management perspective seem very much in a improve now, with an eye on the future, and I think by mid year the club came to terms with the fact that we werent really going to trouble the competitors this year and decided to look to building for next year.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson