Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 20: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 12396 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 20: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #45
Wgaf.
Putting on record now. Samo is SMART with the ball. We just could not use him as such.

Don't shoot the messenger ... it was on the C7 broadcast

Reply #46
LOB
21 disp at 80%
24 pressure acts
4 goal assists
6 score involvements
6 inside 50s
5 marks
2 tackles
389 m gained
He and Dow delivered some bullets tonights, well done young man.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #47
Apart from having a forward line - the main difference between this week (and all of our poor games or parts of games) is that the players made a concerted effort to run with intensity to pressure opponents with the ball and to pressure opponents in a position to receive a hand pass - instead of trying to corral an opponent without pressuring him or cruising along and hoping the opponent trips over his boot laces (e.g. SPS). 

When the game seemed out of their reach (part way into the last term) we relaxed (maybe relapsed would be more accurate) or fatigued into a lesser intensity and the 'Aints started to deliver the ball with ease just like the Kangas did last week - most decent AFL footballers can kick to advantage if you allow them to run free.

Reply #48
Probably the first time I can recall LOB making a good contribution - excellent ball use (which was the story when he was drafted) but also put serious effort into restricting his opponent. 

Ditto Paddy Dow, who has discovered (or possibly rediscovered) how to deliver the ball by foot and is not getting caught with the ball like he used to - it seems that he now has the strength to break tackles and keep his feet to pass the ball by hand despite being tackled.

Maybe they both just needed to develop more slowly than your average first round draft picks.

Reply #49
SOS
25 disp
9 tackles
1 goal
6 clearances
Fair nights work

Don't forget his hitouts 😜
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #50
Ruckmen are overrated.
It's not ruckmen that are overrated, it's taps that are overrated! ;)

You measure good rucks by what they do one tenth of a second later. :D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #51
How good is it to wake up after a win on a Friday night no less.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #52
Difficult game to assess, sure we were much better than last week,  but you only play as well as the opposition let you.  That mob have all our problems - including patchy effort levels, and as a result,  they looked very average.   It's easier to look good when it's a game with far less heat in it, you've got more time to execute.  Very happy for the win and solid games from many players, just need to see it against better opposition, every week.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #53
Football is far too much between the ears!!! Last week mentally thrown by the fact the we had no forward line and saw no reward for effort… and checked out!  This week the big target is back, Charlie returned to play the perfect decoy up forward, we kick straight in the first quarter and .. …. there you go!!!

Reply #54
Such a different side since the bye. And loving it.

I'm wondering if The TT has thrown out parts of his one-dimensional, offense focus strategy and replaced it with a much stronger emphasis on defense / accountability. Or was told to. Either way... it's working and he is seeing he has a group that can do defensive stuff very well. If he has changed course since the bye, and embraced change - defensive respect and focus, all credit to him.

Perhaps, also, The TT learned not to fear blooding newbies. Honey and LOB were quality contributors, dare I say it seems some good development has gone on there? Bravo O'Keefe & Power. Now to keep it up, and build further. Those early goal assists from Honey were fckn gems. The by foot delivery skills of LOB into the forward line were, in very sophisticated terms... sh1t hot.

Impressive the turnaround from last week, doubly impressive it was player driven.

SOJ proved that you need not be quick over the grass as a midfielder if you've got a high footy IQ and a ticker as big a Phar Lap.

M Kennedy has earned a new contract. His grunt work in the middle was great stuff.

Fantabulous to see Willo get a couple of sausages. I like it that he takes on opponents, yes, coupla stuff ups doing this but he'll learn.

Reward for effort on the scoreboard works wonders.

Now for the real test... winning against the GCS when we're expected to. This could well be the game that determines The TTs future, if it hasn't already been determined.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #55
Probably the first time I can recall LOB making a good contribution - excellent ball use (which was the story when he was drafted) but also put serious effort into restricting his opponent. 

Ditto Paddy Dow, who has discovered (or possibly rediscovered) how to deliver the ball by foot and is not getting caught with the ball like he used to - it seems that he now has the strength to break tackles and keep his feet to pass the ball by hand despite being tackled.

Maybe they both just needed to develop more slowly than your average first round draft picks.

LOB better reproduce that form for the rest of the season, otherwise i fear it may be too little, too late.
By the far the best game he's ever played. He actually looked like an AFL player. I'm not sure he's ever really looked like a VFL player before.

Dow on the other hand continues to take things up a notch. He has performed to AFL level for half the year now. Looks like the player we'd always hoped he could be.

Speaking of needed more time to develop......perhaps we should afford our coach a similar luxury.

Reply #56
Honey and LOB were quality contributors, dare I say it seems some good development has gone on there? Those early goal assists from Honey were fckn gems. The by foot delivery skills of LOB into the forward line were, in very sophisticated terms... sh1t hot.

SOJ proved that you need not be quick over the grass as a midfielder if you've got a high footy IQ and a ticker as big a Phar Lap.

100% agree ... and Charlie's goal was a complete delight.  And when Harry's on he is ON !

Reply #57
 Random thoughts

A lot of the skill of a player like O'Brien has to do with the quality of the opposition.
If we're on top, O'Brien has a bit more time and is able to produce those quality disposals.
Under pressure and they're not likely to be so accurate.

When a group is playing as a team, and supporting one another, your fringe players always look a whole level better.

Jack Silvagni is more in the mould of his grandfather than his dad.

Our blokes are making it a bit hard for a board that's a bit indecisive about the coaching position...There's a good chance they'll be screwed whatever they do.

@ Kruddler...You could have made a bit of money betting on our games in the last two weeks. ;)

Reply #58
Really enjoyed watching that and seeing our young brigade showing very positive signs of development and Charlie easing back in.  The Saints hit back hard at the start of the 4Q but we were very professional in the way we steadied and went on to a solid win. Excellent confidence building effort from team and coaches imo.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #59
Unbelievable result. I'm still pinching myself this morning. looking forward to watching a replay of the game as I was on the gas last night and couldn't really appreciate how good everyone was.
Unbelievable. Did not think we had a hope in hell even with Charlie and H in.
Stunned.