Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 20: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 12405 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 20: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #60
What a change from last week! Could not believe what I was seeing and unfortunately probably couldnt enjoy it as much as kept expecting the capitulation to come - but it didn't! so happy for them, felt like they were proving a point to the naysayers.

Reply #61
LOB better reproduce that form for the rest of the season, otherwise i fear it may be too little, too late.
By the far the best game he's ever played. He actually looked like an AFL player. I'm not sure he's ever really looked like a VFL player before.

Dow on the other hand continues to take things up a notch. He has performed to AFL level for half the year now. Looks like the player we'd always hoped he could be.

Speaking of needed more time to develop......perhaps we should afford our coach a similar luxury.
As you and I noticed in game the pressure was low and almost practice game like so it was easy to deliver the footy and get a kick.
I saw Plowman take a few bounces and stroll through the middle of the ground with no pressure for example.
So I'm not getting convinced about LOB until I have seen more of him in more highly contested games... But what he showed was promising and I'd keep him in the team for the remaining games along with Honey...

Reply #62
LOB was never going to be able to prove he could play unless we gave him games.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #63
That last kick into F50 is the most important kick in footy, and LoB landed three or four. There are plenty of players who would have stuffed those kicks last night. Well worth a spot on the list IMO.

Reply #64
I think the spuds in the post game presser asking the stupid questions should be required to speak their name just before they ask the question, so that the public knows who they are!

When the ask a question, if they haven't already introduced themselves, if I were Teague, before answering I ask, "Sorry who is this I'm speaking to?"

Teague could even open the presser by politely asking them to please call out your name before asking the questions!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
Football is far too much between the ears!!! Last week mentally thrown by the fact the we had no forward line and saw no reward for effort… and checked out!  This week the big target is back, Charlie returned to play the perfect decoy up forward, we kick straight in the first quarter and .. …. there you go!!!
Do not underestimate the energy and excitement Charlie brought to the team this week, another reason why he HAD to play. He is a much loved member of the group and his positivity is infectious.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #66
That last kick into F50 is the most important kick in footy, and LoB landed three or four. There are plenty of players who would have stuffed those kicks last night. Well worth a spot on the list IMO.

I think the debate (ifever there was one) of Cottrell or LOB is dusted now.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #67
I think the debate (ifever there was one) of Cottrell or LOB is dusted now.
If you could combine Cotts' engine/desire and LOB's left peg, what a player.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #68
As you and I noticed in game the pressure was low and almost practice game like so it was easy to deliver the footy and get a kick.
I saw Plowman take a few bounces and stroll through the middle of the ground with no pressure for example.
So I'm not getting convinced about LOB until I have seen more of him in more highly contested games... But what he showed was promising and I'd keep him in the team for the remaining games along with Honey...

And duly turned it over IIRC. I beg to differ re pressure, I thought it was on for a fair bit of the game. Why is it that when we win everyone thinks it was bruise free or suggesting the other team lost as opposed to us winning? Fact is, we went hard, kicked straight and dominated the ops.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #69
Random thoughts

A lot of the skill of a player like O'Brien has to do with the quality of the opposition.
If we're on top, O'Brien has a bit more time and is able to produce those quality disposals.
Under pressure and they're not likely to be so accurate.

When a group is playing as a team, and supporting one another, your fringe players always look a whole level better.

Jack Silvagni is more in the mould of his grandfather than his dad.

Our blokes are making it a bit hard for a board that's a bit indecisive about the coaching position...There's a good chance they'll be screwed whatever they do.

@ Kruddler...You could have made a bit of money betting on our games in the last two weeks. ;)
I actually thought they played close to each other last night resulting in tight contests. What I mean by this is we normally try to get out wide to runners, I think our patterns where a lot tighter last night. Thoughts?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #70

And duly turned it over IIRC. I beg to differ re pressure, I thought it was on for a fair bit of the game. Why is it that when we win everyone thinks it was bruise free or suggesting the other team lost as opposed to us winning? Fact is, we went hard, kicked straight and dominated the ops.
We played well but we need to judge players when the heat is on more and we dont get blinded by front running players who only perform when the rest of the team is performing. I like players who stand up when we are struggling and I need to see that from LOB and a few others before I would be calling him over the line.

Reply #71
Late to the party again but a great win last night. Just a pity they got a few cheap goals at the end....we should've really put the foot on the throat and thrashed them by 10 goals...but a win is a win.

Really encouraging to see the form of blokes like Dow, O'Brien and Honey. LOB's kicking was a feature and although he didn't get tonnes of the ball, he was very efficient with his kicking and set up a few goals, as did Dow....as did Honey. It was great to see Honey get a couple himself after dishing a few off. Really impressed with his game and he looks like a smart footballer who is a really good kick.

I liked the fact Williamson got forward and kicked a couple of goals but somebody needs to tell him he's not Dustyn Martin. He tried the fend off 3 times and got caught holding the ball each time. Probably doesn't help that he's so one sided but keep it simple and dish it off if you can't get onto your left.

Charlie had a relatively quiet game but who cares...he got through which is the main thing and the fact he was out there seemed to give Harry a bit of a spark too...but again, he missed a couple of easier ones and could've had 7 on the night.

As for Walsh, what more needs to be said....now he's hitting the scoreboard as well.

Last but not least, Silvagni.....he looked buggered in the third quarter but willed himself to every contest and actually got the centre clearance on a number of occasions after contesting the hitout. He probably won't get votes last night but that was an inspiring performance to battle on the way he did.

Next week...I'd be giving Kemp a run to replace Newnes. And if McGovern is fit, then sneak him in there too.

Murphy got a cheap goal on the siren but is limping to 300...he got caught with the ball nearly every contest after he came on.

Reply #72
Fortunately I didn't have the opportunity to see last weeks game and I have had no incentive to watch the replay. Having Charlie and Harry up forward gives us some structure while Honey and O'Brien gave us real running power. With the likes of SPS, Fogarty, Cunningham, Setterfield and Cottrell out of the side for form injury or balance, and the likes of Kemp, Ramsay, Carroll, Durdin, and Philps coming through, I quite like where our mid-field is going. I liked Cripps' game. He embraced being an inside mid dishing the ball out, he had a physical presence around the ball and he was the leader. I thought Walsh had one of his most impactful games yet I didn't have him in my votes. Williams seemed to play on Hill and he held him well and kicked a couple of goals. It was probably his best game. We kicked 1. 9. against Geelong and we kicked 10. 1 against St.Kilda last night. It is amazing how kicking goals change a game. Jack Silvagni might become our most important player. He is a guy who can do whatever job he is asked to do. Jones was fantastic. He stepped up when Weitering was in trouble, helped stabilise our defence and enabled Weitering to get on top of King. The best thing about last night's result, besides keeping our slim finals chances alive, is that it has totally destabilized Hawthorn. Not sure what the media is going to write and talk about this week after last night's effort.

Reply #73

Absolutely G2C!

Our blokes made it look like there was little pressure because they took the game on and exploited the errors that our pressure created.  We played a demanding, high risk, high reward game style and we weren't able to maintain the same level of pressure in the last quarter.  When we win convincingly, it's not because the opposition doesn't apply pressure.  It's because we absorb their pressure and apply more ourselves.

It was interesting that Murphy couldn't pick up the tempo of the game and was crunched every time he contested.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #74
We played well but we need to judge players when the heat is on more and we dont get blinded by front running players who only perform when the rest of the team is performing. I like players who stand up when we are struggling and I need to see that from LOB and a few others before I would be calling him over the line.
Agree, but for you to see him, they need to play the poor bastard. Confidence and belief through a feeling of belonging is an amazing thing.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th