Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Promise AFL Rd21: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 6867 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Promise AFL Rd21: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #15
Whe  I say I'd ruck cripps, he be as #2 ruck...and wouldn't be jumping at centre bounces. He be grounded and use his body.

He already does this in the same way Hawkins does for the cats - takes the f50 throwins and grabs it out of the ruck to have a ping at the goals.

Do the same around the ground and instead of trying to get boot to ball, get a quick handball into space where we can run onto it.

Reply #16
Whe  I say I'd ruck cripps, he be as #2 ruck...and wouldn't be jumping at centre bounces. He be grounded and use his body.

He already does this in the same way Hawkins does for the cats - takes the f50 throwins and grabs it out of the ruck to have a ping at the goals.

Do the same around the ground and instead of trying to get boot to ball, get a quick handball into space where we can run onto it.
Fair enough on the F50 ping at the goals stuff, better Cripps than Harry whose ruckwork is what I would describe as dainty at best...

Reply #17
Fair enough on the F50 ping at the goals stuff, better Cripps than Harry whose ruckwork is what I would describe as dainty at best...
Wouldn't you want and be better off having Cripps roving those F50 stoppages in Betts absence?

I think if Cripps is inside F50 for a stoppage and we ruck him, that is a stoppage win for the opposition!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
Wouldn't you want and be better off having Cripps roving those F50 stoppages in Betts absence?

I think if Cripps is inside F50 for a stoppage and we ruck him, that is a stoppage win for the opposition!
We've been doing it all year already...or have you not noticed.

There is no need to rove the ball off the ground in a pack of 12 blokes if you have the ball in your hands already! Its not rocket science.

Reply #19
We've been doing it all year already...or have you not noticed.

There is no need to rove the ball off the ground in a pack of 12 blokes if you have the ball in your hands already! Its not rocket science.
Most of that earlier in the season was Casboult with Cripps roving, in Casboult's absence whenever De Koning or Pittonet aren't there to push forward it's mostly been BigH rucking stoppages. The "all year" you refer to is basically since De Koning has been solo rucking, and even then it's only been some stoppages that Cripps has tried to ruck.

When Cripps and BigH have rucked inside F50 they've been barely effective, so we are stopping an A-Grade stoppage player from doing what he is good at to be a C-Grade ruck option.

So, I think having Cripps do that ruck work is a negative, I'd rather see SoJ ruck and have Cripps rove to it.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
Most of that earlier in the season was Casboult with Cripps roving, in Casboult's absence whenever De Koning or Pittonet aren't there to push forward it's mostly been BigH rucking stoppages.

Aren't there? Or designed not to be there.

Better to have a big ruck (or 2) forming the wall for a long kick on the way out, and get it in the hands of someone who can use it better if they do get it.
As i said, Geelong use the tactic and they have some of the fittest rucks in the game, yet they've been using Hawkins in the same role for years.

Reply #21
Aren't there? Or designed not to be there.
That is irrelevant, it's not what is being discussed.

We are debating Cripps to ruck or Cripps to rove, not what the other rucks or KPPs do.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
That is irrelevant, it's not what is being discussed.

We are debating Cripps to ruck or Cripps to rove, not what the other rucks or KPPs do.

So if Cripps is rucking, its because our other rucks are not. Do i need to draw you a diagram?

The question is are our other rucks NOT rucking by design....i say yes.
Reason - Geelong have been doing the same thing for years.
Result - Goals.

Reply #23
I’m just wondering if our unpredictable 22 have had a good look at AFL Predictor and have worked out that if results go the way they should (including us winning), we will be in the 8 come next Monday?!?!

Reply #24
I’m just wondering if our unpredictable 22 have had a good look at AFL Predictor and have worked out that if results go the way they should (including us winning), we will be in the 8 come next Monday?!?!
I just did this...
https://predictor.squiggle.com.au/
after putting in the Port result.

We ended up 11-11 and in 7th the first iteration!

Reply #25
Who would have thought after round 19 we would be on the same wins as Richmond! 😀

Reply #26
So if Cripps is rucking, its because our other rucks are not. Do i need to draw you a diagram?
None of the other makeshift ruck options can do what Cripps does at a ground level stoppage, that is probably the key point.

Having Cripps ruck and leaving others to rove / ruck rove the stoppage is like shuffling everybody into their less than best position. I can't see a massive benefit having Cripps ruck over SoJ, McGovern, BigH or whoever else we have inside F50 at the time given we may have no rucks at all.

In fact I'd be keen for BigH to be coached to ignore the tap and try to draw one or two frees while rucking, as he is very likely to kick goals from a free anywhere inside the F50 arc. I think that is more analogous to Hawkins rucking than anything other scenario.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27
Ruck no-one and have an extra on the ground. Saw it in the women's semi final when they lost a ruckman before half time and the extra on the ground worked a treat. Don't do it all the time to remain unpredictable but do it often.

Reply #28
Win and we're possible be in the 8. Will sit in the 8 for 2 hours as we are first up on Saturday with a win. Then we need Dogs to beat Essendon, North to beat Richmond and Brisbane to beat Freo. Then we sit in the 8 at the end of the round.

Reply #29
Ruck no-one and have an extra on the ground. Saw it in the women's semi final when they lost a ruckman before half time and the extra on the ground worked a treat. Don't do it all the time to remain unpredictable but do it often.

Yep agreed, being unpredictable is probably the best option.
The Force Awakens!