Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Promise AFL Rd21: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 6849 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Promise AFL Rd21: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #75
Murphy looked very slow last week and got caught with the ball pretty much every time he got it....a nice goal at the end was about all. If it gets him to 300 then so be it....I reckon he's earned it over the journey. I think Eddie is only a bee's away from 350??

Reply #76
Murphy looked very slow last week and got caught with the ball pretty much every time he got it....a nice goal at the end was about all. If it gets him to 300 then so be it....I reckon he's earned it over the journey. I think Eddie is only a bee's away from 350??

I don’t begrudge Murph his 300 but I have to agree that he does look to have slowed up a lot. I looked back at some of his early games for us recently and he looked pretty damn good back then and the comparison with today is stark. Eddie though, afaic at least, can still conjure up some magic on occasions.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #77
The way Eddie has performed this year he looks like he could go to 400.  He deserves to be that and an icon of the game.

At the time I was on the fence of letting Adelaide have Eddie, and by the end of it, was happy to see him gone, but Ill put my hand up and state that this decision was possibly the worst we have made as a footy club in the last 30 years (that is a massive statement in itself). 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #78
The way Eddie has performed this year he looks like he could go to 400.  He deserves to be that and an icon of the game.

At the time I was on the fence of letting Adelaide have Eddie, and by the end of it, was happy to see him gone, but Ill put my hand up and state that this decision was possibly the worst we have made as a footy club in the last 30 years (that is a massive statement in itself). 
x2
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #79

Well Thry, we have certainly made some doozies over that time but, you're right!  If it's not the worst decision, it has to be very close behind.

The only saving grace is that Eddie would probably have retired years ago if he had stayed with us.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #80

Eddie himself said he needed to go.
He was drinking heaps and on his way to depression (if not already there).
The fresh start gave him new life and new love for the game.
Then he was able to come back and it happened again, got a 3rd lease of life.

Had he stayed, he wouldn't have been the same player, and wouldn't still be playing.

Reply #81

Had he stayed, he wouldn't have been the same player, and wouldn't still be playing.

This is true, or maybe he would have left a few years back when the rebuild started and ended up somewhere where he could have won a flag.

Or maybe, he would have hit his 400 game milestone with Carlton, Yaz and Garlett might not have gone off the rails, and we might have won a flag with malthouse.

Who knows?  This what if game has many answers, but the one thing that I can be certain about is that with the benefit of hindsight that was a shocking call.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #82
This is true, or maybe he would have left a few years back when the rebuild started and ended up somewhere where he could have won a flag.
Never going to win a flag with Malthouse! He tore the guts out of the club after the gains Ratten had made.
That’s why we had to start from scratch

Or maybe, he would have hit his 400 game milestone with Carlton, Yaz and Garlett might not have gone off the rails, and we might have won a flag with malthouse.

Who knows?  This what if game has many answers, but the one thing that I can be certain about is that with the benefit of hindsight that was a shocking call.

Reply #83
Sorry fat thumbs didn’t mean to post

Reply #84

That’s an interesting reflection on life at CFC.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #85
The entire '30' thing is just between the lugholes. So often what really good players lose in a yard of pace they make up for with footy smarts.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #86
Personally, I reckon this is our most important game of the year. As I mentioned previously, this is the chance to break a pattern which can only result in stepping up a notch. But we must bring what we did last week, and more, and win well. My worry is the motivation. Last week we had huge motivation - the horror story of the week prior. Against Rottingwood there was the motivation of SOJ/SOS/Serge and a traditional rival.

Our primary motivation to win this one is discipline, leadership, intensity and sustained excellence, a commitment to ourselves, the jumper, to our team mates. The secondary motivation is to keep our slim finals chance alive which keeps high importance in our next game.

Seeing how the orange team responds to their debacle of last week will also be of interest. We should expect their best.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #87
Injuries haven't been that unkind?

2 games ago we didn't have a key forward on the park, and we are playing jack silvagni as relief ruck for at least 4 matches now.

Our list might be smaller than it was last week, but that doesn't mean we haven't 17 names on it less than 2 weeks ago, even if some of them did play last week.  Harry wasn't exactly running last week whilst on the park.
Harry missed one game where structurally we fell to pieces.
Levi, Murphy, Pittonet, Setterfield, McDonald, Gibbons, Marchbank, McGovern. All seconds players. If the club is using injuries to these guys as an excuse, I suppose that tells you why we are where we are.

Reply #88
Levi, Murphy, Pittonet, Setterfield, McDonald, Gibbons, Marchbank, McGovern. All seconds players. If the club is using injuries to these guys as an excuse, I suppose that tells you why we are where we are.

I suspect that it was more a case of poor structure to start with than falling to pieces.  Our lack of KPP depth presented a challenge to the coaches and they weren't able to meet the challenge.

I don't think the club has brought up injuries as an excuse, it's supporters who do that.  More to the point, most of the players you mention, if fit, would press for selection at most clubs.  We are were we are because we lack depth and the coach and his assistants are too easily wrong-footed by circumstances and opposition tactics.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #89

When you lose all key forwards and all ruckmen and are left with SOS in the ruck and Owies at full forward you don't think that's relevant at all?