Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 22: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 5290 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 22: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #45

Didn’t Butters get Saad in the last q as well?
Yep...as Shawny said got him high, Newman should have retaliated earlier and his teammates should have tackled Butters with extra intensity everytime he got the ball to teach that kid its coming back with interest if you want be a sniper.

Reply #46
Butters is a ***t and somebody will sort him out. Surely the football world has taken note of his antics by now?

What really concerns me EB is that our kids are OK,  it's that middle tier of blokes who have just fizzled out.   Fisher, Williamson, LoB, SPS have just given us nothing for what 4-5+ of "development" ?   De Konig has stagnated,  then chuck in senior blokes who are underdone and giving F all (moneybags,  Chuck,  Casboult).  We're pushing sh1t up hill with what we put out on the park today.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #47
Missed the first Q, switched on to see the boak free, the down the ground free and then Charlie get front on smashed, and thought “nope, know where this is going” and took up the offer from the little one to play barbies.  I think i pulled the right reign

The boak free is the worst decision I have seen in a long time

Reply #48
Has anybody watched Teague's presser ?

Reply #49
Positives - Durdin, looks to be a player. We got another game into Stocker, TDK, Dow, Kemp, Honey and Charlie, who, BTW back would be killing him as Alir had two hands planted in it all night.

Umpiring was fair, until they realized that Port was behind, how Boak got the free kick for a dangerous tackle when it was his momentum that took him over and Fantasia took a massive dive when Stocker gave him a forearm after he kicked it, but Butters punches two players one after he kicks the ball to the head which send Saad off holding his jaw and nothing call is beyond me, but as I've always said it's very easy to give a free kick to the team that's supposed to win.

Today showed the lack of imagination Teague has as coach. McGovern has played back before, when we were under siege, he should have been swapped with Kemp to give Weiters and Plowman a chop out with a big senior body. TDK looked spent but no Casboult to take a bit of pressure off in the second half.

Murph could have gone down and clocked Butters for his gutless punch to Saad, but alas no.

This was always going to happen, as most, if not all of the assistants would have been told by now that they don't have their job next season, so their hearts not in it. I'm guessing that Teague would have been told by now, especially after challenging the club, ask Malthouse how that worked out for him. But if the unlikely does happen and Teague keeps his job, what sort of assistant coach would we get? As the industry knows that Teague is a dead man walking, so no coach would want to come and be cleaned out at the end of next year. BTW I feel sorry for Teague, he is just not cut out for a head coach roll, and by taking over after Bolton he lucked himself into the job.

Negatives - We've got one more game left, let's just hope that Covid shuts next week down and we can write this train wreck of a season off.

Sayers must get this club in order, MLG has done a good job off the field, but the next coach must be a hit within two seasons or their will be carnage.

Reply #50
Butters is a ***t and somebody will sort him out. Surely the football world has taken note of his antics by now?

What really concerns me EB is that our kids are OK,  it's that middle tier of blokes who have just fizzled out.   Fisher, Williamson, LoB, SPS have just given us nothing for what 4-5+ of "development" ?   De Konig has stagnated,  then chuck in senior blokes who are underdone and giving F all (moneybags,  Chuck,  Casboult).  We're pushing sh1t up hill with what we put out on the park today.

Bit rough on TDK.   He is 20 games in trying to jump over blokes that are 150 plus games.    He doesn't have the physical strength to play that role yet and just gets worn down.

Should be the 2nd banana at this stage.

Reply #51
Bit rough on TDK.   He is 20 games in trying to jump over blokes that 150 plus games.    He doesn't have the physical strength to play that role yet and just gets worn down.

Should be the 2nd banana at this stage.
Agree on TDK.
He hasn't stagnated, he has just (basically) completed his first full season.

People get their expectations confused with reality.....both in terms of individuals and the team.

Reply #52
Also I think we are all forgetting because of his ego but hello SAYERS, the new messiah, has been there since Ratten days!!! He has been on the board this whole time.

I expect that a whole heap of sweet screw all will change, he has been part of the problem.

Reply #53
Why did I think we would get smashed today?  Port have big bodies where it counts.  We had no real tall forwards - Charlie is 3 games in after a couple of years out, Cas is still injured (it seemed) and never been a great player anyway.  Losing Jones upsets the balance in the backline.  Not having Cripps is a big body.  TCK isn't big enough to take on Lycett.   I had said to my wife that a good result will be 12 goals.  Port aren't a team to have Honey, Durdin, Kemp make a debut at once.

The first quarter and a bit to get 22 up was pretty exciting, although we were still 2.6 at 1/4 time.  We got the jump on Port.  Keeping the way we were playing was going to be impossible.  The commentators mentioned Wines/Boak, someone like that going into the middle, which helped them turn things around.  Who did we have in our team that we could flick around to make a difference on the ball?  We barely had enough to get four in the centre bounces.

What would the cohesion of that team be?  We can play the same style with our best 22 on the ground, but the skill level is lower, so it can't work as well.  We all know that we don't have great depth.

Missing Harry, Cripps, Pittonet (against the bigger bodies), Jones, SOS has to make a difference to the side - they give structure and or effort.

In the last quarter, TDK (knackered) half jumped early, the tap that Port got straight to their mid was hilarious it was so easy (not a dig at TDK, just a description).  TDK is cooked for the year.

The commentators mentioned a few outs in the first quarter when we were going well, but forgot about them later and made no excuses (which is the way it should be for them).  Tiges are going great at the moment with their injuries.  WB couldn't handle a forward out.

Who was available that wasn't injured?  Fogarty, Cottrell, Carroll, Parks, Ramsay.  None of whom would have made much difference, or come in ahead of Cas, McGovern - needed some size (that we didn't have against North).  We wouldn't have beaten any team today.

Much has been made of closing the losing margin under Teague, with a generally more attacking game plan.  Every coach has had big losses, where they just can't stop the opposition.

How many games does the core of a  team need to play together to become a good team?  Ours wouldn't have many.

The board is sitting on a report - great that there weren't any spills and take the shine from Murph - I hope that they look at the report, take their time to digest it, then act appropriately.

I really feel for Teague.  Whatever the decision of the board is it is.  For me, how they explain and execute their decision is key.

What toll does it have on players - the coach is surely part of the decision to commit and sign.  Why wouldn't players just play for $$ if there is no commitment by the club.

Reply #54
At this stage you'd have to say TDK is a perfect 2nd ruck who can also be a dangerous tall forward. Probably a bit too early to take the reigns as 1st ruck. Still a bit light and lacking a bit of endurance. Seriously fought hard today though. That Lycett is a pr1ck.

Reply #55
Can't help but wonder what our best team, all fit would play like. It's the stuff of imagination... sadly.

B   Nic Newman   Jacob Weitering   Caleb Marchbank
   Zac Williams   Liam Jones   Adam Saad

M   Sam Docherty   Patrick Cripps   Zac Fisher

F   Jack Silvagni   Charlie Curnow   Jack Martin
   Eddie Betts   Harry McKay   Tom De Koning

R   Marc Pittonet   Matthew Kennedy   Sam Walsh

I   Mitch McGovern   Paddy Dow   Liam Stocker
   Josh Honey      

We just have to find a fitness guru capable of keeping half of them on the park.

Emergencies: Ed Curnow   David Cuningham   Will Setterfield
Lochie O'Brien   Levi Casboult   Jack Newnes
Michael Gibbons   Lachie Fogarty   Tom Williamson
Brodie Kemp   Sam Petrevski-Seton   Matt Owies

Reply #56
While I never expected a win the effort today surely proves that the players have well and truly given up on the coach and expect him gone at seasons end. To tell you the truth it's not surprising. I can understand we're undermanned and we can't sustain the intensity they we showed for 1.5 quarters but by the same token he shows bugger all in coaching nous or creativity. Once again when the tide started to turn we were getting smashed at the centre clearances but lo and behold Murphy is in there? Seriously, why? FFS give Stoker, Durdin, Honey or even Kemp 5 minutes and see how that goes. No friggin idea. Why was Levi being played forward? No match fitness, can't kick a goal to save himself but could at least give our backs a chop out. McGovern is pretty much in the same boat as Levi. What the hell, there is so much wrong with this team you could spend hours dissecting it. I really am disillusioned with the CFC at the moment. Can't see a change in the coach, regardless of the replacement, making much of a difference. We have a board that is completely out of touch of the basic fundamentals of what WE the Carlton tragic's are are about. Hell most of them weren't even born when we were going to games as kids during the great days. It is just so depressing.
Thanks Murph. All the best. Appreciate all the years you were our only shining light when we were a lost worse than this (Hard to believe after today).
All the best David. Remember you winning a B&F when we were seriously CR@P and you were fearless and deserved it. Unfortunately you are coaching in an era of soft c@Cks. Individuals that don't have an understanding or appreciation of the club.
3 weeks ago I suggested that we were finishing off the year like 2020. 1 win in the last 5 and it looks like history is repeating itself. Heaven help us next week. I'm serious. If we can take a forfeit l'd have it.

Reply #57

Reckon there will be a few list changes Prof as well as the coach. We have a tight cap and will want to be active in trade week so I can see a few of those mid tier/fringe types cut.
TDK looks tired, still a thin kid and by half time he runs out of gas given he has no decent support. Port have improved, we needed our best team on the park to compete and it was hard to watch after half time. We are stuck with some of those overpaid, underperformers with long term deals so it's up to the coach new or old to get them earning their keep.

Reply #58
At this stage you'd have to say TDK is a perfect 2nd ruck who can also be a dangerous tall forward. Probably a bit too early to take the reigns as 1st ruck. Still a bit light and lacking a bit of endurance. Seriously fought hard today though. That Lycett is a pr1ck.
To be a dangerous tall fwd (albeit part time), he will have to work on his kicking. He also needs to work on this tank as he is getting outworked after the bounce or ball up. He is only a kid still andl needs time, as suggested ideally he would still be a no 2 but given our plight, he has been thrown to the wolves so to speak.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #59
Has anybody watched Teague's presser ?
Yes. Seemed relatively upbeat despite the thrashing, looked more broken last week. When asked if the margin would hinder his chances of retaining his job, he said it didn't help. Praised the 1st qtr effort but then dropped away.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time