Skip to main content
Topic: 2021 Review: What have we learnt about our team? (Read 3044 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2021 Review: What have we learnt about our team?

Reply #15
Yet we do Cookie. We set high expectations and fail. Year after year. That to me is the greatest failing of the club.

That's is a big issue. Straight away Sayers puts the next coach under pressure saying he expects finals.

There are some supporters who are the same hence they are quick to want to sack a coach.

Reply #16
That's is a big issue. Straight away Sayers puts the next coach under pressure saying he expects finals.

There supporters who are the same hence they are quick to want to sack a coach.

And so it goes on and on and on.... and here we sit 20yrs later.
Do other clubs constantly set such expectations and create undue pressure from day 1?
Do other clubs have a more realistic understanding of the capacity of their list?
Is the cohesion between football and non-football departments better?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #17
Out of interest what do you think you could get for Plowman at the trade table?
Completely depends on who you are trading with.

Did you expect to end up with a 1st round pick from Henderson trade?
Did you expect to end up with a 1st round pick from Tuohy trade?
I'd rate Plowman as more important to our team than both of them were.

Reply #18
He’s not soft but he is an ordinary player, who regularly panics and makes poor decisions on the field and has below average skills and pace. He’s got no currency on the trade table whatsoever for very good reason.

I’ve heard all the arguments that his selflessness allows others like Saad and Jones to freewheel, but the harsh reality is that no top 8 team would even entertain the thought of Plowman on their list.

Plowman would be around a 3rd rounder IMO......not KP and to the casual observer wouldnt look that good seeing the quality
of players he plays on and the goals kicked on him.
As others have suggested he is worth more to us who know the level of responsibility he has each week. He has his issues but we dont have that Vlastuin/Grimes type player/s who you can play on those inbetween types that are hard to match up on.

Reply #19
Agreed Elwood.  At a pinch, a second rounder.  But I'd keep him

Reply #20
I was his biggest fan but he was embarrassing thus season.   He needs to win a lot more one on ones and make a lot less fatal (= coughs up goals)  mistakes.  Went to ground and pushed out of marking contests far too easily and that is unlike him.    A couple of years ago he was very hard to score on,  in 2021 he was a shell of the player he was. Long term I reckon Kemp will take his spot.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #21
I was his biggest fan but he was embarrassing thus season.   He needs to win a lot more one on ones and make a lot less fatal (= coughs up goals)  mistakes.  Went to ground and pushed out of marking contests far too easily and that is unlike him.    A couple of years ago he was very hard to score on,  in 2021 he was a shell of the player he was. Long term I reckon Kemp will take his spot.
Plowman had an ordinary year this year, no doubt about it. But he will get the job as long as there is nobody better at the job. Maybe we can find one, but he will take a year or two to replace Plow.
If we get a better defensive structure in 2022, I expect Plow to play better. We have talent in defence, but they don't play like the team defence you see at Melbourne. If they did, nobody would be complaining.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #22
He’s not soft but he is an ordinary player, who regularly panics and makes poor decisions on the field and has below average skills and pace. He’s got no currency on the trade table whatsoever for very good reason.

I’ve heard all the arguments that his selflessness allows others like Saad and Jones to freewheel, but the harsh reality is that no top 8 team would even entertain the thought of Plowman on their list.

Fourth in the John Nicholls Medal last season and I reckon he'll be in the top 10 this season.

It would depend on which teams need a steady, third tall defender but you would have to be looking at a second round pick and a player ... not that we'd want to trade Plowman.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #23
Fourth in the John Nicholls Medal last season and I reckon he'll be in the top 10 this season.
3rd the year before that.

Some hack called Sam Walsh finished 4th that year.

Reply #24
I want to know how/why we trash new recruit when they come to Princes Park...

Dees - lever and May playing like solid A graders.

Port  - Aliir. Gun (even if Weiters was beaten and robbed)

Brisvegas - Neale, Daniher, Lyons even Robbo years back went to a new level. Important contributors.

We have Brackets, Williams, Martin (arguably Saad at times this year and throw in Marchy) - if not side lined, playing on 1 leg or struggling for form.

Have any of them (Saad aside) had a decent injury free run at it?

That group's output alone is enough to determine the outcome of many a close game....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #25
I want to know how/why we trash new recruit when they come to Princes Park...

Dees - lever and May playing like solid A graders.

Port  - Aliir. Gun (even if Weiters was beaten and robbed)

Brisvegas - Neale, Daniher, Lyons even Robbo years back went to a new level. Important contributors.

We have Brackets, Williams, Martin (arguably Saad at times this year and throw in Marchy) - if not side lined, playing on 1 leg or struggling for form.

Have any of them (Saad aside) had a decent injury free run at it?

That group's output alone is enough to determine the outcome of many a close game....
Those players have consistent long term injury problems. They miss a 3rd of the season usually.. Marchbank is a write off.
If he was a horse he would be at bunnings in a bottle in the wood glue section..

Reply #26
really concerned about defense ,weits,30 yr old jones,williams thats about it ,rest are just fill ins.

Reply #28
We have learnt our midfield is crap and have addressed it appropriately. I think Teague has done an outstanding job with Harry and Weitering. It's up top Vossy to get that midfield humming and keep Harry and Weitering at elite levels