Skip to main content
Topic: Congratulation Sam Walsh - B+F winner 2021 (Read 6310 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Congratulation Sam Walsh - B+F winner 2021

Reply #75
Its all a clear indication of how poor we've been and how few of our highly paid (& arguably talented) players fired a short in 2021. If Plowman & E Curnow are in our top 10 next year I'd say we're in deep trouble.

I'm hoping that we see a good representation of Williams, McGovern, Martin, TDK, Dow, Cerra, Hewett, C Curnow, Cunningham, Honey, Kemp etc in the top 10 next season. Hoping and praying.

I agree, but by the same token, its relatively simple why those guys ARE in the top 10. They play selfless footy. Include Betts in there too.....and Jack.

If you play your role, do the team thing, the coaches like you and as a result award you votes. Its not rocket science.
People keep talking up a big conspiracy theory over the whole thing...forget that....look at who does their role.

Of the top 10, i'd argue that only Cripps (and to a lesser extent Saad) could use a bit of work on improving the 'team' part of their game. All of the other blokes do the little things and play to instruction. Ask yourself how many players 'block' for their teammates. Come up with a list.....i reckon you'd just about come up with our top 10 this year.

Reply #76
Its all a clear indication of how poor we've been and how few of our highly paid (& arguably talented) players fired a short in 2021. If Plowman & E Curnow are in our top 10 next year I'd say we're in deep trouble.

I'm hoping that we see a good representation of Williams, McGovern, Martin, TDK, Dow, Cerra, Hewett, C Curnow, Cunningham, Honey, Kemp etc in the top 10 next season. Hoping and praying.

That's the point. We had so many injuries this year there was zero chance of success. Jack Martin was too 10 in the 2020 B&F but never fired a shot this year. He's one I hope has a brilliant preseason.

Reply #77
I’m hoping all 44 have brilliant seasons.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #78
I agree, but by the same token, its relatively simple why those guys ARE in the top 10. They play selfless footy. Include Betts in there too.....and Jack.

If you play your role, do the team thing, the coaches like you and as a result award you votes. Its not rocket science.
People keep talking up a big conspiracy theory over the whole thing...forget that....look at who does their role.

Of the top 10, i'd argue that only Cripps (and to a lesser extent Saad) could use a bit of work on improving the 'team' part of their game. All of the other blokes do the little things and play to instruction. Ask yourself how many players 'block' for their teammates. Come up with a list.....i reckon you'd just about come up with our top 10 this year.

Regardless of punters criticising our B&F results and bemoaning the recognition of blokes like Ed Curnow and Plowman, the fact is that coaches like players who are selfless and do the team thing.

Ed Curnow and Lachie Plowman will continue to attract coaches' votes for as long as they pull on the boots.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #79

Well said, K. And if I could add my 38c worth...

For starters, I have absolutely no issue with our JNM. None. I think, in the circumstances, the club did a ripper job and I really appreciate the effort they went to, to bring the evening to our screens - inclusion. We became a part of the event. Connection. Bravo.

I cut blokes like Saad, Williams, McGovern and Martin in particular, a fair bit of slack. Why? Injuries and a somewhat confusing game plan which changed during this season. They were trying to fit into a football department that was, let's say, less than ideally run with a number of people in coaching roles not suited to, or not experienced enough, to be totally competent in those roles. Rather than now dwelling on the past I keenly await to see how these blokes (and others) respond to a clearly defined game plan/set of expectations/standards well led, articulated, supported and driven.

Yes, as has been pointed out, it will be a good day when our top 10 includes names like those above. Personally, I remain optimistic and am looking forward to my membership and fronting up in person to games next year.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17