Skip to main content
Topic: Australia's Health Revolution (Read 1673 times) previous topic - next topic

Australia's Health Revolution

If you're a little overweight, have a family history of Type 2 diabetes, or have been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, Michael Mosley's new series, Australia's Health Revolution on SBS, is well worth watching.

The first episode gave me a wake up call and I'll be doing my best to eat healthier food and do a little more exercise.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: Australia's Health Revolution

Reply #1
If you're a little overweight, have a family history of Type 2 diabetes, or have been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, Michael Mosley's new series, Australia's Health Revolution on SBS, is well worth watching.

The first episode gave me a wake up call and I'll be doing my best to eat healthier food and do a little more exercise.

Good stuff, David. We watched the Mosley series from the UK a while back... he's a beaut and sticks to plain language but with thorough science.

We live a 'keto lite' kinda lifestyle/diet. Meat and veggies. Occasional sweet/carb treat... last night, home made pizza. But most of the time carb and sugar free - the only fruit is berries. Plenty of complex carbs - veggies. I lashed out some time ago and bought an electric meat grinder/sausage maker. Great investment... make my own pies in an almond flour base and loads of exotic sausages. Next is a smoker for home made salamis. Needless to say, our blood sugar and cholesterol levels dropped. Important to get plenty of fibre though (veggies). Love it that aged cheeses are good on keto... mmm, cheese.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #2
Carbs are the killers .. they all turn to sugar once ingested.  More meat, chicken, fish, above ground veg and no fruit (other than berries) potato, pasta, no sweets (save for 90% dark chocolate) and definitely no bread.

... and sadly, no beers unless the carb labels are at near zero

That's the guts of it.  Low Carb, high fat (LCHF)

Reply #3
I don't have diabetes, thankfully so far, but when I had a health scare a couple of years back the first thing the dietitian told me was everything you read on the internet is pretty much bullcrap, good diets are conditional on age and no one formula suits all at any time or forever.

She told me when people get older a lot cut out protein and other sources of allied fats and it's the worst thing they can do, as you get older you need lean protein and the right mix of fats to keep your heart and other organs healthy. It's a different mix to kids or 30 year olds. The first time I went to her to get advice to lose weight she told me I wasn't eating enough, and I had to change the mix and eat more lean protein. My family didn't believe me! When I talked to my doctor about her advice he said all the latest research says it's true, but the food and health industry is built on ideas from decades ago and will take years to catch up with the latest research. It sounds like @Baggers‍ has found the correct balance for the appropriate time of life, and really it's not about cutting something out it's about good quality, variety and the right mix.

PS; Since I was educated about this, I've come across several people who have basically cured themselves of diabetes just by making these changes under a doctors supervision. In the past they would have told you it is impossible, now it's almost the preferred solution, but it does take some willpower.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
...and of course, daily moderate exercise. If not a long walk for us, I hit the weights hard, but nothing silly re straining back, knees, shoulders etc.

Reply #5
...and of course, daily moderate exercise. If not a long walk for us, I hit the weights hard, but nothing silly re straining back, knees, shoulders etc.

Do you have a foam roller? I started using one recently and it has made a big difference. It does hurt, but that considered, the pain is definitely worthwhile. It is all the sitting we do now that is the problem.

Reply #6
Do you have a foam roller? I started using one recently and it has made a big difference. It does hurt, but that considered, the pain is definitely worthwhile. It is all the sitting we do now that is the problem.

That's a great tip, thank you, Squire. I'll give it a lash... anything to help these poor shoulders, knees and lower back from playing up!

Reply #7

Definitely add in some resistance training. Do everything to maintain (or build) some muscle mass over time too. Keeps you strong, and more muscle = more calories burnt.