Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW R9 - Carlton vs Gold Coast @Ikon - Sun 5:10pm (Read 2108 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW R9 - Carlton vs Gold Coast @Ikon - Sun 5:10pm

Reply #15
Which brain dead FW was in charge of the decision on both teams jumpers for today?

We were stopped from wearing our Indigenous round jumper last week and it was significantly different to the GWS jumper in colour and tone  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
We were stopped from wearing our Indigenous round jumper last week and it was significantly different to the GWS jumper in colour and tone  ::)
And they a lot that this week? Terrible decision.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
Exactly.

First thing i thought of. Why did they stop us last week, and allow it this week?! Pathetic.

In any event, good win by the girls. Jumped out of the gate early, ensured they didn't get blown away in the arm wrestle in the middle, and ran away with it in the end.

3 in a row.

Reply #18
If there's one part of the game the AFLW team does better than their AFL counterparts, it's singing the club song  :)

Great win by the girls, and Darcy, particularly after the Suns got back into the game and put us under pressure.

How good were Breann Moody's runs?  She reckons that she is the fastest of the group and, once she gets into her stride, I suspect that she is.

Jess Good's improvement is remarkable.  Well done Shaun Hampson, and Jess for putting in the hard work of course!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #19
If there's one part of the game the AFLW team does better than their AFL counterparts, it's singing the club song  :)

Great win by the girls, and Darcy, particularly after the Suns got back into the game and put us under pressure.

How good were Breann Moody's runs?  She reckons that she is the fastest of the group and, once she gets into her stride, I suspect that she is.

Jess Good's improvement is remarkable.  Well done Shaun Hampson, and Jess for putting in the hard work of course!
Bree Moody put her hand up for the grand final sprint a year or 2 ago, but never got a call back about it. Instead, Jess Hosking got a gig out of nowhere.

The talls at the club have really come on.
Clearly Bree Moody has performed at an elite level this year after AA nod last year.
Jess Good in her first year is performing above expectations.
Paige Trudgeon was a train on player last year and i think has played every game and is rock solid in defence (kicking needs work though)
and although she hasn't got a game yet, Imogen Milford kicked 3 in the VFLW last week in her first year on the list.

In the 'gulf' of Harris and Downie, we've done pretty well with our no-name replacements.

Reply #20
Good to have the girls win, and win well. Pity we were as ordinary as we were at the start.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #21
Good to have the girls win, and win well. Pity we were as ordinary as we were at the start.

R1 vs Collingwood (loss by 19) - 6th
R2 vs Geelong (win by 14) - 12th
R3 vs Brisbane (loss by 35) - 3rd
R4 vs Kangas (loss by 30) - 4th
R5 vs Adelaide (loss by 39) - 1st
R6 vs Fremantle (loss by 42) - 5th
R7 vs St. Kilda (win by 48) - 13th
R8 vs GWS (win by 18) - 11th
R9 vs Gold Coast (win by 30) - 9th
R10 vs Melbourne (? ? ?) - 2nd

We are 8th.

That sets a very clear picture if you ask me.
We are not a top 6 side. Our only losses have come against the top 6 sides.
We have beaten everyone below us that we've played.

If we had've played West Coast and Richmond instead of 2 of the top 6 sides, and won like we'd be expected too, we'd be in the finals.

With such a (potentially) uneven draw, these things are bound to happen.
I think they did the wrong thing by getting rid of the conferences. When you cannot play everyone, its the fairest way.

Reply #22
Every team in the 6 (bar 1) has thrashed us. And the only 1 that hasn't thrashed us is Melbourne and we play them in the last game. If we can beat them, it would be fair to think we could have made it if we'd started better. If not, it would be pretty hard to complain about missing finals. 

Reply #23
Every team in the 6 (bar 1) has thrashed us. And the only 1 that hasn't thrashed us is Melbourne and we play them in the last game. If we can beat them, it would be fair to think we could have made it if we'd started better. If not, it would be pretty hard to complain about missing finals. 
Don't think we will even be in the hunt next week - but I would love to know what the plan is to get under Tayla's skin...... and if pushed, she is likely to uncork one.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #24
The AFLW is a different competition to the men's comp. I know a woman footy player (not at AFLW or even VFLW level) who is a big supporter of women's footy and Carlton's AFLW team too. Her sentiment appears to be pretty typical of AFLW supporters: they'd prefer to see the competition become stronger more than their own team winning. She was happy to see Harris go elsewhere and bore her absolutely no ill for doing so. AFLW supporters are happy to see players from their own team move to other teams if that makes the competition stronger. This is a bit foreign to us as we see those players as traitors. But I think you'll find there's very little antipathy towards Tayla Harris from Carlton players or the bulk of the supporters of our AFLW team.

If the last game were a do-or-die effort for us to get in the finals, maybe some players would do what it takes to put Harris off her game. But when we're fighting it out for a position outside the top 6, I don't think they'd go there, especially if all they manage to do is to provoke her into getting suspended.   

Reply #25
I'm not complaining about missing finals, we wouldn't win one of we did. I'm just highlighting the inequality in the fixture. That is, a team that has been largely thrashed by finals teams could have actually made it if the fixture was slightly different. To counteract that, the conference system that was in place solves that issue. This is doubley highlighted by the fact that the afl was basically hand-picking games/opponents at a moments notice due to covid.

TBH, we ended up better than I expected us off the back of our abysmal off-season.

Reply #26
I don't disagree with that. My post was completely written before I saw your post after pressing submit and the system invited me to review it. I thought they were pretty consistent but different enough to continue with the post. As it turned out, we had a tough draw.

Given more teams are coming into the AFLW comp, they really need to do something to reduce the inequalities in the draw, especially if they're not going to play more than 10 rounds.

Reply #27
Did anyone see the incident Prespakis was sanctioned for?

I vaguely recall a bit of a push and shove, but if it's the incident that I recall then the sanctions must surely go both ways as the Prespakis was retaliating to being hit.
The Force Awakens!