Skip to main content
Topic: RIP Queen Elizabeth II (Read 5574 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RIP Queen Elizabeth II

Reply #15
What could a 73 year possibly have to offer as king?

Completely out of step with modern society.  Should bypass Charlie and go straight to William.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #16
RIP Queen Elizabeth. She has been an impressive monarch who will be hard to replace.

I hope Charles III will be better than the 2 previous models. Charles I got his head removed through stupidity. Charles II may have been the 'Merry Monarch', but he was always a political stoolie for his French cousins. Not being able to provide an heir is also a black mark in a family business. That leaves Charles plenty of opportunity to make the third chance the success.

In April I discovered I was Queen Elizabeth's 6th or 7th cousin, I don't remember which. That was pretty weird: I don't consider myself very special at all. I'm an even closer relative to Princess Di, but ...
Just a piece of trivia.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #17
I find myself in two minds re Charles. I've watched docos that feature his very real commitment to progressive environmental change, as you sight here. Then I hear interviews with Diana's former 'man servant' or whatever the heck he is called, sighting the abysmal treatment of Diana, in effect just a vehicle for some heirs to the throne. Time will tell re Charles, meanwhile I'll go off and argue with myself about him as King.

I'm fairly neutral on the monarchy. I'm not fussed if they retire tomorrow, or if they're around for another thousand years. There's certainly a part of the population that follows them with keen interest. They seem both uninteresting and inoffensive to me.

As to Charles and Di, I suspect there's only two people who really know who did what to who, and one of them is gone. There's plenty of scuttlebutt from supposed insiders. Who knows ? I never followed it much, but they both seemed pretty unhappy, and they won't the first nor the last couple who stuffed up their first marriage.

Reply #18
Maybe so but I'm saying you probably won't get a receptive audience just at the moment amongst the uncommitted.

Strangely Charles is probably in tune with a lot of views expressed on here with regard to a range of things like climate change.

We'll agree to disagree on Charles.
Personal opinion on climate change are great, but what kind of impact can you expect him to have? 1000's of scientists around the world get shouted down by redneck flat-earthers and billionaires.

As for popular opinion and a receptive audience, i agree with you. Some might say 'too soon' and so be it.
People can take i whichever way they want to take it and if certain people want to take offence at that and be disgusted and/or embarrassed thats their choice.

Ultimately, it's me pointing out that the queen took us as far as we could hope for in every respect, but the only way is down from here. It'd be a sign of respect IMO if we ended our allegiance in line with her rule and went our separate ways from here.
It's like a champion retiring after winning a flag. Its all down hill from here, why do it to yourself?

Sometimes you need something like this to push you into the next phase or to give you the motivation to follow through with something you've been putting in the too hard basket.

Its like when i talk about changing the way the AFL fixturing and ladder works to make things better Some people take it for what it is. Other negative nancy's project their insecurities onto my thoughts without actually giving them the time of day and attempting to understand them. Berate me for 'ignoring history' and refusing change rather than seeing if change is something that can make things better.

Revisit this in a year and see if the rest of the room has caught up with me.

Reply #19
What could a 73 year possibly have to offer as king?

Completely out of step with modern society.  Should bypass Charlie and go straight to William.

But that’s not how a hereditary monarchy works.  It’s Charles or nothing.

Interestingly, the first bretwaldas (pre-eminent kings of what became England) were chosen by an assembly or parliament.  Hereditary monarchy is not only anachronistic, it’s a product of despotic tyrants trying to secure their offsprings’ future.

Charles is probably more in step with modern society than Will but both are well behind Harry.  He seems to understand that the monarchy has no place in 21st century society, other than bringing in tourist $$s.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20
We'll agree to disagree on Charles.
Personal opinion on climate change are great, but what kind of impact can you expect him to have? 1000's of scientists around the world get shouted down by redneck flat-earthers and billionaires.

As for popular opinion and a receptive audience, i agree with you. Some might say 'too soon' and so be it.
People can take i whichever way they want to take it and if certain people want to take offence at that and be disgusted and/or embarrassed thats their choice.

Ultimately, it's me pointing out that the queen took us as far as we could hope for in every respect, but the only way is down from here. It'd be a sign of respect IMO if we ended our allegiance in line with her rule and went our separate ways from here.
It's like a champion retiring after winning a flag. Its all down hill from here, why do it to yourself?

Sometimes you need something like this to push you into the next phase or to give you the motivation to follow through with something you've been putting in the too hard basket.

Its like when i talk about changing the way the AFL fixturing and ladder works to make things better Some people take it for what it is. Other negative nancy's project their insecurities onto my thoughts without actually giving them the time of day and attempting to understand them. Berate me for 'ignoring history' and refusing change rather than seeing if change is something that can make things better.

Revisit this in a year and see if the rest of the room has caught up with me.

Yep
Best agree to disagree

Twelve months down the track may be  a more appropriate time to have the discussion.

The fact is that to get a referendum up and running and framed in a way that you can get  a model that will gain general acceptance will take some time.
That was a major problem with the last referendum.
Folks weren't sure just how the model would work and opponents were able to use that confusion to their advantage.

Labor have said they'll work towards a referendum but not in their first term.
Working towards this type of change is not something you push through when you see an opportunity.
That's divisive and would be poorly recieved by many.
That leaves long lasting resentment in a large section of the population.
This is a change you want to stucture carefully and take folks along with you so there is no confusion.

Just finally on someone like the King having an influence on important topics like climate.
I reckon that position gives him quite a platform to talk about and highlight these issues.

Reply #21
RIP Queen Elizabeth. She has been an impressive monarch who will be hard to replace.

I hope Charles III will be better than the 2 previous models. Charles I got his head removed through stupidity. Charles II may have been the 'Merry Monarch', but he was always a political stoolie for his French cousins. Not being able to provide an heir is also a black mark in a family business. That leaves Charles plenty of opportunity to make the third chance the success.

In April I discovered I was Queen Elizabeth's 6th or 7th cousin, I don't remember which. That was pretty weird: I don't consider myself very special at all. I'm an even closer relative to Princess Di, but ...
Just a piece of trivia.
Condolences Crash
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #22
Condolences Crash
To us all. I have hopes for Will and Kate, but people like Elizabeth II are pretty rare.
Unlike most people, she lived up to her House motto: Ich dien. That's German for 'I serve.'
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #23
To us all. I have hopes for Will and Kate, but people like Elizabeth II are pretty rare.
Unlike most people, she lived up to her House motto: Ich dien. That's German for 'I serve.'
A gracious and beautiful human being who indeed served for her entire life as she pledged she would. There will never be another.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #24
Yes, well served and an example to others, King Charles III has a difficult role to fill.

Unlike others here, I actually think this is an opportunity to revisit what the historical monarchy can bring, and by that I mean the Commonwealth. Could there now be a willingness considering what is happening in the world, to look at our common interests, and the Commonwealth play a role in shaping the world?

King Charles III has a golden opportunity to encourage the remaking of the world, or watch it devolve further, imagine for instance a Commonwealth trading block as a starting point, with the goodwill right now opening doors that would normally perhaps not be as receptive to change. I get a sense that many things could be possible right now and over the coming 12 months. There is something to build upon I feel, but whether that happens remains to be seen - the United Kingdom has left the EU, does it look at that again, or take his idea and develop it?

Reply #25
Her Majesty was a remarkable woman.  To serve as she did with grace, humility and poise without complaint for 70 years makes her one of the best leaders the world had seen during the time of the greatest amount of change.

I am ambivalent towards the royal family,  but have seen how they work during visits.   No way you would want to do what they have to.

Difficulties were with family management - Charles & Di, Charles and Camilla (early days), Andrew & Sarah, Andrew generally, Harry etc. This is where the biggest difficulties will lie for the monarchy and then KC III needs to gain respect - in a world that is fast losing any.

Reply #26
Her Majesty was a remarkable woman.  To serve as she did with grace, humility and poise without complaint for 70 years makes her one of the best leaders the world had seen during the time of the greatest amount of change.

I am ambivalent towards the royal family,  but have seen how they work during visits.   No way you would want to do what they have to.

Difficulties were with family management - Charles & Di, Charles and Camilla (early days), Andrew & Sarah, Andrew generally, Harry etc. This is where the biggest difficulties will lie for the monarchy and then KC III needs to gain respect - in a world that is fast losing any.

King Charles says one of his first talks is to reunite the family. Andrew, Harry, Will, Kate, The Seppo. As spf said, I reckon he is just the man to tackle some of the world issues and help shape the future.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #27

100% Captain CRASH. Stoic leaders who are humble yet classy with an unwavering commitment to serve are, as you say, a rarity.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #28
King Charles says one of his first talks is to reunite the family. Andrew, Harry, Will, Kate, The Seppo. As spf said, I reckon he is just the man to tackle some of the world issues and help shape the future.
Andrew needs uniting with a jail cell imho...

Reply #29
So now the AFLW won't acknowledge the passing of a the Queen with a minutes silence in the remaining games because its Indigenous round. One and Free huh? (as long was you aren't a rednec,  male,  or part of the monarchy). And the AFLW players wonder why there is SFA interest in their game. Lack of leadership by the AFL here I reckon.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th