Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2022b - R7 vs Saints - Friday night (Read 2322 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW 2022b - R7 vs Saints - Friday night

Time to get back onto the winners list and salvage something from this season which has been both unlucky, and dissapointing.

Saints have been struggling of late, but they should still go in favourites.

Lets see what Half and the gals can go this week.

Re: AFLW 2022b - R7 vs Saints - Friday night

Reply #1
It’s good to see Brooke Walker back from her rugby commitments.

Her run should help our transition and her tackling might shake up a few Saints.  Hopefully, she’ll adjust to the tempo without too much trouble.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2
Hopefully, she’ll adjust to the tempo without too much trouble.
I was quite surprised how lacking in aerobic capacity she was last time she returned from a similar hiatus, so I don't expect much.

I suppose you can't escape match fitness, no matter what you've been doing.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
I was quite surprised how lacking in aerobic capacity she was last time she returned from a similar hiatus, so I don't expect much.

Its true, you can run as many suicides and middle to long distances as you want, but in the cut and thrust of short sharp breathes, bracing for contact, chasing tail, there is a certain mental and physical toll that playing games takes out of you that is difficult to prepare for without a competitive hitout.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #4

The running patterns in the two games are very different.  I’m hoping that Brooke and our fitness people will have addressed that.

On a related topic, I heard an interesting discussion with Kez on the wireless.  It seems that some teams are obtaining a competitive advantage through extra training.  The agreement specifies training times and anything beyond that is effectively unpaid overtime.  The discussion covered individuals taking on extra training on their own initiative and mandated extra sessions.

Apart from anything else, it reinforced my impression of Kez as a very articulate, intelligent and perceptive young person.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
The running patterns in the two games are very different.  I’m hoping that Brooke and our fitness people will have addressed that.

On a related topic, I heard an interesting discussion with Kez on the wireless.  It seems that some teams are obtaining a competitive advantage through extra training.  The agreement specifies training times and anything beyond that is effectively unpaid overtime.  The discussion covered individuals taking on extra training on their own initiative and mandated extra sessions.

Apart from anything else, it reinforced my impression of Kez as a very articulate, intelligent and perceptive young person.
This is something that occurs in the NFL.

There is a set amount of time off clubs must give players. A limited amount of pre-season training that can occur (some with and somewithout pads). Some of the training is optional.

However, every year, players get together in their own time and do some training by themselves. Usually you'll see QBs and WRs put in some time together to get their route patterns/timing in sync.
Essentially its the players association having too much power. So players are forced to train themselves outside of the regular facilities.

Given how professional (read barely professional) the AFLW is i'm not surprised that teams doing this are getting a leg up.

As for Brooke Walker.
At least she is fit now. Probably carrying a few extra kg's compared to her normal AFLW playing weight so hopehully she doesn't 'blow up' early as a result.
(She's talked about the difficulty of gaining and shedding kg's between sports in the past).

Reply #6
late change
Lee out.
Plane in

Reply #7
26-2 at half time, showing some total dominance for a change.

Good to see.

Unfortunately, its largely the same old crew leading the way, Moody, Peterson, McKay, Hill and Laloifi.
Skepper has got to be our best pickup in the off-season/draft period....but she still needs some work.

Vescio started down back.
Pound playing forward again.

Bit of a swap the 'forwards and backs' trick.

Need to put the foot on the throat from here and try and claw back some of our %.

Reply #8
Jess Dal Pos puts in a fair effort for goal of the week. Pound unlucky moments before that being touched on the line would've pipped it.

20 - 1 - I50s in that quarter.

Complete domination.
Nic Stevens has been a non-event with 1 possession in 3/4's. Wonder if she is regretting that decision now.

Reply #9
Pound goes ok up forward 👌
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #10
Pound goes ok up forward 👌
A couple weeks ago, she was really struggling i thought.
The move up forward has reinvigorated her.

Could say the same thing about Vescio.
Still waiting for Darcy to get that same spark though.

Reply #11
A real drop off 4q, until the last 5 mins. Good signs lifting to finish strongly.
9th position believe it or not.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #12
I think that the swap of ends for Darcy and Gab has really paid off.  Gab has had her share of the footy as a defender but Darcy just hasn't got near it in the forward line.  Tonight Darcy did get the footy and that really provided a lot of support for Mua and our other defenders.  Gab just kept on putting in and got her reward on the scoreboard.  She is a smart footballer and knows how to make the most of her opportunities at either end of the ground.

I like the look of the team with the four big girls.  Serena and Taylor didn't have a huge impact but the Saints had to put a lot of defensive effort into them.  Bre and Jess pretty much did as they pleased.

Brooke's first game back was OK.  She tackled with intent and got a some decent disposals away while not really playing at her best.

I think that Harf would be pretty pleased with the team's effort tonight.  That's the brand of footy that will trouble teams in the eight and give us a sniff of finals' action.

Reply #13
As mentioned by Moods in the pre-game, they really tweaked their game plan going into todays game to be more aggressive/offensive. It showed.

Of course the opposition allowed that to happen.

Be a big 3 weeks coming up. Before tonights game, our next 3 opponents were 7th, 8th and 9th. Which is ideal if we wanna try and steal a finals spot as it will come at the expense of 1 (or more) of them. We'll have 3 '8-point-games' in a row.
Still....those 2 draws will hurt us as we could be comfortable in the 8 if they were 2 wins.

Whatever happens from here, i'm not sure we'll do much damage in the finals. We are a 2nd tier team at best. But anything is possible on any given day.

Reply #14
As mentioned by Moods in the pre-game, they really tweaked their game plan going into todays game to be more aggressive/offensive. It showed.

Of course the opposition allowed that to happen.

Be a big 3 weeks coming up. Before tonights game, our next 3 opponents were 7th, 8th and 9th. Which is ideal if we wanna try and steal a finals spot as it will come at the expense of 1 (or more) of them. We'll have 3 '8-point-games' in a row.
Still....those 2 draws will hurt us as we could be comfortable in the 8 if they were 2 wins.

Whatever happens from here, i'm not sure we'll do much damage in the finals. We are a 2nd tier team at best. But anything is possible on any given day.

You're probably right, but the team we had on the park tonight would scare most of the contenders.

We had some big bodies, a lot of endeavour, plenty of run and relentless pressure.  If we make the opposition worry about what we're going to bring to the contest, we're in with a chance.