Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 20 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 4546 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 20 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #60
Pies tend to score most from their defensive chains, unlike most flag sides who do it from their forward chains. Voss got it right applying alot of frontal pressure to the Collingwood defence shutting out their ability to score from defensive chains. Port did it last week too but went away from it when 21pts ahead at 3/4 time. We stayed true to what put us in front in the first place and put the game out of reach. Sides will learn from us last night.

In Collingwood games this year they have been no.1 for accuracy in front of goal, their opponents, on the day itself, have been 18th time and again. Means they are getting the ball into the 50 easily without alot of pressure but their defence is pressuring their opposition. We reversed it.

Amazing when you're running hard, committed, opening the game up how much better ball use is. Most of the "butchers" at least become silk.

Reply #61
When was the last time we won 6 on the trot... including the top 2 sides!!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #62
Its a team on a mission now
The determination and professionalism to dot the the i's and cross the t's was remarkable and still have great players to come into the team.

Reply #63
Said it before on here....Martin is low possession, high impact....and we probably have to accept that going forward....and a pretty smart player IMO. He's hitting the scoreboard regularly for us, along with Motlop, and now Owies too that he's back in the side. The spread of goalkickers over the last 6 wins has been really impressive.

Reply #64
Re Acres disposal, I’m not fussed.
I think it’s nothing more than muscle fatigue, to cover the km’s and get the possessions you’re going to spray a couple.

Anyone else annoyed by Howes sleeve last night ?
I think Docherty picked him out in the first Q with a pinpoint pass, I recon he thought he was a teammate.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #65
When was the last time we won 6 on the trot... including the top 2 sides!!

Not this century.

Reply #66
Re Acres disposal, I’m not fussed.
I think it’s nothing more than muscle fatigue, to cover the km’s and get the possessions you’re going to spray a couple.

Anyone else annoyed by Howes sleeve last night ?

I think Docherty picked him out in the first Q with a pinpoint pass, I recon he thought he was a teammate.

I can only speak for myself, but I had no issue with it. Some of those Pies players have tatts covering their whole arm, and I think at a distance they would look dark much like Howe's sleeve. As an aside, Howe is a great player. I'd happily have him.

Reply #67
Great win but I think the standout for me in the form turnaround has been Luke Sayers telling the Mathieson’s to pi55 off after being an embarrassment to the club in the rooms after our lowest form. Since those poker machine blackmailers couldn’t get there way and immediately sack Voss we have gone from strength to strength  in solidarity. You could see in the rooms tonight we are a club again united with some belief. From the top down to the boot studded we are a team.

There is a new generation of Carlton supporter being influenced by the likes of football people like Brian Cook and not the money people like Pratt and Mathieson who were on the Board but have moved on.

Reply #68
There's not much of Hollands but gees he gets to where the ball is going and he is going to be a helluva player over time.  Gets to so many contests - often when he seeingly can't - and when he starts winning these he is going to be an extremely valuable player.  Very defensive minded and gets back as defensive cover for a winger.

Others have commented on the woeful umpiring but the high fend from DeGoey on MacG was very average and although it may have cost 50m and a goal, the square up shoulder charge really underlined the tone....a real F you, we're not going to be intimidated moment.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #69
Travelling home on the tram after the WCE game I was chatting to some Richmond supporters after asking them if they thought Richmond might finish ninth this year they asked how I thought we go against the Pies with all our injuries. I told them it wouldn't matter who we picked as long as they gave 100% we would be too good. My show of confidence confused them and made them think that Carlton was a big show this week. I wasn't really telling them, the truth but that is how the game panned out. A full strength Collingwood against an understrength Carlton but it didn't make any different.
It will be interesting how the narrative goes. The loss was good for Collingwood. If they had kicked straight the result may have been different. Carlton caught them unawares and they will be ready for this next time. Can the umpires give Collingwood even more rubbish free kicks. The big question for me is of the two teams who has the most room for improvement. Would Silvagni, Kennedy, McKay, Boyd and Cerra playing a complete match make us a better side or is there more improvement in Collingwood?
To me Collingwood have a lot of deliverers and finishers but not a lot of ball winners. They intercept mark and get the loose ball and then take off but they don't win the ball as such. Keep the game tight and don't give them the ball and because they in front of the ball you can get them on the rebound on turnover. Carlton has shown the blue print it will be interesting if other sides follow.
I thought that the team and intent was fabulous and the tackling was ferocious. My only concern was that Hollands and Kemp struggled against the size of their opponents but I do not question their endeavour.
We have to keep this mindset going. Carlton in the past could have beaten Collingwood and Port Adelaide and then go out and lose to St Kilda, Gold Coast and the Giants. Our destiny is in our own hands.

Reply #71
Not this century.
13 in a row in 2000.

After that, 6 from 7 in 2015 (yes, 2015) is the closest.

Reply #72
On Hollands.
He's putting together an outstanding season, including a solid return from injury. He looks to be learning and growing each game and his courage is beyond his years/size.
Recruiting appears to have been spot on in adding some quality run. Binns also developing well. I'm impressed they can kick on both sides. This should be a requirement and ongoing focus IMO.

Off topic I know... Compare that recruiting to LOB and Dow. Not to mention the pre-draft investment we made. Let's not even think about the Samo Fisher draft. Just shows how important nailing early picks are when you're rebuilding.

Anyway, Hollands should be very pleased with his journey so far. I'm hoping it will be a fulfilling and long decorated career in navy blue.

Go Blues.
Cue Mr Russell.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #73
Crippa charged with rough conduct q4 on Quaynor. Cant say I saw that.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #74
Plead guilty, cop the 2k and move on.....   next?