Skip to main content
Topic: AFL 2023 Preliminary Final Carlton vs Brisbane Pre Game Prognostications (Read 29055 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL 2023 Preliminary Final Carlton vs Brisbane Pre Game Prognostications

Reply #105
Hollands kick to Doc was almost perfect, Doc's positioning was good and his kick to the top of the square was as good as you get, Weiters taking on the kick to Hollands was even better.

They had no time to go slow, go any slower and the defenders flood back.

Fans seem to be oblivious to the fact that alongside Acres in the square was McGovern and Kemp, that's about as big of a roll of the dice as you will get!

De Koning wasn’t far away.

Although Charlie had gone behind the ball, he was on the mark for Lever’s kick.  Acres was just outside the protected zone and sprinted towards Lever when the ump called play on.  That pressure affected Lever’s kick and enabled the spoil that ended up with Viney kicking on his right foot to Weitering.

Acres drifted across half forward, then sprinted to the goal square.  Fritsch tried to get to Acres but Guv forced Fritsch to go with him.

Minutes earlier, Acres was crunched when he went back with the flight at half back.  That play resulted in the inside 50 that ended up with Lever.

That’s three critical acts at both ends of the ground from a bloke with a busted shoulder.

Take a bow Sheriff 👏
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #106
Fans seem to be oblivious to the fact that alongside Acres in the square was McGovern and Kemp, that's about as big of a roll of the dice as you will get!

And the past day or so I've been pondering a sliding doors moment - had the ball travelled from Doc's boot on a slightly different trajectory, the Supporter's favourite whipping boy - Mitch McGovern - might well have ended up Carlton's greatest hero of the 21st century.

Either way, his act of protecting Blacres back to allow the mark is something that should be applauded by all.

Reply #107
Acres went forward to essentialy hide, he was clearly in pain after his last contest.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #108
I'm expecting a totally different game to our two finals so far, I'm thinking this is going to be more of a shoot out or certainly a more attacking game.
If we lower our eyes I think we will present more options than Brizvegas will.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #109
I think the MC have some big calls to make.

I won't be surprised if some analysis shows a correlation between the absence of Hollands and the drop off from Charlie / McKay. As much as I think Motlop has improved and is a goal kicker / finisher, I'm not sure his part of the bargain is more important than the ground Hollands covers and the way Hollands uses the footy.

Owies selection is now self-determining, if he's fit he's going to be selected, he's a terrific football brain with an A-Grade work ethic. A lot of discussion went around what the media tried to paint as an "Owies brain fade" in the goal square incident. If you flip that perspective you come to the conclusion that in that moment this bloke had time to assess the situation and offer up a "Joe the Goose" for a team-mate, it's not Owies fault Charlie switched off, what do coaches always say, "Never turn your back on the footy!" But that event does also tell us about the teams selfless nature, Owies offered a level up for favours previously done, and Charlie expected nothing in return!

I'm torn about who goes out as Martin and H come in, but I'm certain Martin and H come in if fully fit.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #110
Sounding less likely that Payne will be available for Brisbane....unless they're talking it up as a "tactic". Regardless, Voss sounded pretty sure, assuming he's fit, that McKay will come straight back in, along with Martin.

Assuming Acres and Docherty are right to go, we're pretty much at full strength other than Williams and Silvagni. As much as I'd love JSOS in the team, he's missed too much footy now to risk bringing him back. The Pitto/TDK combination has worked really well in the first two finals....both were huge last week in different ways and nullified Gawn's overall influence.....along with TDK's two goals.

Safe travels to all you east coasters heading up to the Gabba for the game.

Reply #111
The keys to the game for us:

Lincoln McCarthy, Charlie cameron and Zac Bailey.  We struggle with these types the most and McCarthy in particular tends to be very efficient.  

Beyond that, last week mccluggage went off for an extended period and Brisbane's scoring dried up.  He was back on after a short hiatus but during that time port were able to score and brisbane couldn't find a way forward.

These guys have had our number for years.  Atone for the aforementioned and we have every chance.

Brisbane are a team stacked at every line with talented players and im not going to be overly worried about what happens if we don't win.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #112
Sounding less likely that Payne will be available for Brisbane....unless they're talking it up as a "tactic". Regardless, Voss sounded pretty sure, assuming he's fit, that McKay will come straight back in, along with Martin.

Assuming Acres and Docherty are right to go, we're pretty much at full strength other than Williams and Silvagni. As much as I'd love JSOS in the team, he's missed too much footy now to risk bringing him back. The Pitto/TDK combination has worked really well in the first two finals....both were huge last week in different ways and nullified Gawn's overall influence.....along with TDK's two goals.

Safe travels to all you east coasters heading up to the Gabba for the game.
TDK is getting better each game too, has heaps of upside to come.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #113
TDK is getting better each game too, has heaps of upside to come.

De Koning’s in the airrrrrr.
Everywhere I look around.
De Koning’s everywhererrrrrr.
Leaving bodies on the ground.

Robbie has become quite an astute observer of our game.  Tom is hitting the packs … hard!

I just hope he doesn’t take out any of our players.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #114
The kick from Hollands was better than the broadcast angle showed, the Melbourne player was never really in the hunt for the footy, metres away in fact, and if he'd made contact with Doc it could easily have been a 50m for late contact.

Mate, i was at the game right behind it. I could see it all unfolding before it happened.

I'll reiterate, docherty had a good 5m on his opponent leading towards the wing. When the ball arrived there was no 5m.

It was only for the stupidity of the dees defender that allowed docherty to take off and go. Not Acres kick, not Dochertys brilliance. Both were adequate, but a simple spoil or even a slow jog to be the man on the mark, and we don't win that game.

Ironically there was a similarly big moment in an NFL game a few years ago with my team the vikings coming out on top from an almost identical situation - both in terms of the 'mark' and the state of the game. They called it the Minneapolis miracle and its gone down in history of when of the best moments in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJzpoj_NxqQ

Reply #115

just hope lions players have already won the game in dressing rooms " gabba fortress, red hot Fav , car players banged up " we come out and do a Vo Rogue

Reply #116
The keys to the game for us:

Lincoln McCarthy, Charlie cameron and Zac Bailey.  We struggle with these types the most and McCarthy in particular tends to be very efficient.  

Beyond that, last week mccluggage went off for an extended period and Brisbane's scoring dried up.  He was back on after a short hiatus but during that time port were able to score and brisbane couldn't find a way forward.

These guys have had our number for years.  Atone for the aforementioned and we have every chance.

Brisbane are a team stacked at every line with talented players and im not going to be overly worried about what happens if we don't win.
Rayner has been very good in the past few weeks too and seems to have matured, can take a good mark, is a strong unit and long kick for goal. Never thought much of Daniher or Hipwood but its those other smaller/mid sized players that concern me more.

Reply #117
Lions have declared Gunston is available for selection, but much like Jack Payne, will wait until Thursday to make the decision.

Reply #118
Hollands kick to Doc was almost perfect, Doc's positioning was good and his kick to the top of the square was as good as you get, Weiters taking on the kick to Hollands was even better.

They had no time to go slow, go any slower and the defenders flood back.

Yeap, and McGovern did a nice job of pretending to go for the mark without interfering with the Melbourne player.

Reply #119
Lions have declared Gunston is available for selection, but much like Jack Payne, will wait until Thursday to make the decision.

It’s almost 5 weeks since Gunston last played.