Skip to main content
Topic: The EV thread (Read 9630 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The EV thread

Reply #45
As the article said, its hard to make sense of those figures without more data, but there is a couple things seem to be at play.

People selling used EVs are taking longer to sell, and they are averaging a lot less value compared to the others. This to me suggests that these ones for sale are put up at an overinflated price, which is why they are not selling. They eventually have to drop the price to below what they'd expect, just to cut their losses. Which makes sense with the data as a possible reason.

However, it also states there is very limited data (thus supply) of used EVs on the market. That SHOULD mean that a lack of supply yields an increased in demand and thus drives prices up....not down.

Ultimately, the only scenario that makes sense is that people simply do not want used EVs. You which would think that it would have to be at least in part due to their 'scrap value' after 10 years when the battery life is suggested to be next to useless.
The people who can afford new cars don't keep cars until they die, they just churn them over and upgrade to the newer models every 2-3-4 years.
The people who can't afford new cars, want something that they can rely on for the long term. It appears EVs are not that and people are voted with their wallet.

Or the relative newness of the tech and most people’s ignorance of the pros and cons of that tech means that at the moment people are conservative when looking at a second hand ev and that’s not unreasonable.
They’ve got a wait and see mentality.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #46
Unless you are a conservationist and wanting to do your bit for the environment you wouldnt buy an EV in terms of saving money, the initial expense and depreciation just dont make it viable.
Saying all that, the best selling car in the world in 2023 was the Tesla Model Y.....
https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/tesla-model-y-ev-was-the-worlds-top-selling-vehicle-in-2023-144311/

re: Second hand EV's..its all about the tech especially in modern cars and in 3-4 years you expect change and no one is going to pay big money for old tech with emphasis on old battery technology. EV's to the average punter are still an experiment especially the cheap Chinese variety and I can see a lot of EV's ending up as scrap rather than becoming 2-3 owner cars like we have been used to in Australia over the years..

Reply #47
For most Tesla buyers it's the hope of one day being chauffeured around, it has little to do with the environment, the environment is just an excuse!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
For most Tesla buyers it's the hope of one day being chauffeured around, it has little to do with the environment, the environment is just an excuse!
Standard MO for lefties. Find some BS that suits a narrative and latch onto it. Forget science, facts, stick to the BS and she'll be right mate.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #49
Aside from a prius are there any other ev's old enough to be sold second hand?   I would have thought most ev owners would be "new" owners ergo very few would be for sale second hand and the ones that are would be "like new".

Either way I'd buy an ICE vehicle if you weren't sure.  They'll be here for 20 more years at least IMHO.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #50
Aside from a prius are there any other ev's old enough to be sold second hand?   I would have thought most ev owners would be "new" owners ergo very few would be for sale second hand and the ones that are would be "like new".

Either way I'd buy an ICE vehicle if you weren't sure.  They'll be here for 20 more years at least IMHO.

Not an unreasonable comment, certainly better than “I don’t like Greta”
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #51

I think that your point about most EV owners not wanting to sell their new cars is right Thry. Leased vehicles might be different and fleet vehicles will be coming on to the used car market regularly.

Government fleet vehicles are replaced after three years or so.  There will be thousands of ex-government HEVs in private ownership and many hundreds of ex-government EVs entering the used car market.

The sale of ex-government vehicles has always been part of the strategy to increase the number of EVs in private ownership.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #53
In the USA the used EV market is also trivial, they tend to be scrapping EVs for parts as a more profitable option over reselling.

I presume that process is largely driven by Tesla putting a huge premium on genuine spare parts.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
In the USA the used EV market is also trivial, they tend to be scrapping EVs for parts as a more profitable option over reselling.

I presume that process is largely driven by Tesla putting a huge premium on genuine spare parts.

Who are you claiming is doing the scrapping ?

The US has been actively anti ev until Trump was kicked to the kerb, and by reports most of their ev (like Europe) are expensive and poor quality.
Really not sure why anyone would use ev and USA in the same sentence.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #55
Who are you claiming is doing the scrapping ?

The US has been actively anti ev until Trump was kicked to the kerb, and by reports most of their ev (like Europe) are expensive and poor quality.
Really not sure why anyone would use ev and USA in the same sentence.
The USA was still Tesla's biggest market in the most recent survey, but I believe it is predicted China will pass it this year.

In the USA there is a rapidly growing EV wrecking sector with most of it happening on the US West coast, I believe some of this is also being driven by the laws of various states like California.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #57
You're being mischievous @ElwoodBlues1:D

We all know that EVs are ultra-green, earning back their carbon credits many times over long before they are dumped as eWaste! ::)

I wonder what rating the EPA would give that site if the state government suddenly decided to dig a tunnel under it? :o

An OS business associate was showing me his new home last week, lovely engineered stone floors and benches. I mentioned that stuff was safe in his home but had been banned in Oz due to dust in workshops. He just laughed. You see his main gig is making SolarPV and he said he knows Australia is overloaded with warehouses full of old panels piling up on the promise of recycling. He said in his area the potential residues for old SolarPVs mean they are rated more toxic than the engineered stone!

I have to wonder what is really in a battery, I know what is supposed to be in them, but there is likely a huge difference between the theoretical and reality.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59
Just what we need, another option to muddy the waters.