Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 0 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 2786 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 0 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #75
Agree....Lions had no excuses, we were down on key troops and they were at their fortress where they usually win....no premiership for Brisbane this season and he will be looking for a job at seasons end imo.

A bit early to write off Brizvegas.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #76
Its interesting with those players being high quality automatics most weeks but the smaller lineup with extra pace vs Brisbane seem to work well and that quartet would make us a lot slower and probably alter Brisbane's tactics.

I reckon they'd add some pace to our lineup EB.  Even Weiters has got a bit of toe.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #77
Didn't think we were going to win going into the game and was certain we were going to lose 15 minutes into the second quarter. I had started watching Midsummer Murders rather than Gabbasummer Murders. I am almost convinced the team and the Club may have turned the corner.
Winners win because they win. It is a cultural thing. To some extent it doesn't matter who is out there but whether they are going to have a go and not give up. After the Elliot debacle I spoke to David McKay and said what I wanted was a team that had a go. It didn't mean that much in the short term whether they won or lost as long as they had a go. Since the 20 odd year since the changeover I am not sure this has been the case. I didn't think the players were having a go before the demise of Elliot as well.
Well done Young and Kemp on holding those two key position posts allowing McGovern to be creative off half back. Well done Saad for playing a close checking game on Cameron which isn't his natural game. Well done to Jack Carroll his game was a revelation.
What I had wanted was for us to really turn up and make a contest of the game. Playing Brisbane at the Gabba and without seven players who could be in our best 23 I thought we would be up against it and after watching the practice match against Melbourne and our past record of being satisfied with mediocrity, I really had my doubts. Obviously after watching Melbourne Thursday night it is clear practice match form is not a good guide. That first quarter and a bit where we couldn't lay a tackle was a worry but once the initial pace went off and the humidity started making the conditions more slippery which suits our style of game, the players really turned it around.
I said before the game that Brisbane defence can be scored against which turned out to be so in the third quarter, but I also think they are more of a team of individuals than the other top sides and I also think that the enjoy handing out the little whacks and back handers in match but tend to take umbrage when other sides respond and they seem to lose concentration and go off script. They have been in the finals the past five years without making an impact so clearly something is wrong.
Watching Carlton in the 60's under Barassi and in the 70's under Jezza was great because they would always fight. The 1970 Grand Final and those third quarter blitzes don't just come about. They are built on the foundations of earlier seasons. We may have the opportunity to do something special.
Finally a big shout out to the hoards of Blues Brothers in the stands. They give our Club a point of difference.

Reply #78
Agree. Fantasia's smarts and disposal in tight were influential. Owies was probably our only 'not quite up to it' player.
Hollands, whose tireless work; defensive work, was terrific... however, he's got to become less fumbly and surer with his hands.
Crippa, Cera & Hewett were outstanding. Really well supported by Chugga and J Carroll - who looked like he belonged. Announced himself.
Good to see Cunners going in hard with his body at times when required.
Entire back-line deserves plaudits. (Pleasantly surprised by Young. Kempy tough and hard).
TDK's work was great. Hard at it. 2nd/3rd efforts, terrific.
H... silenced the glib and shallow critics in the best way possible.
Fogarty... tougher than a cat's head. Valuable. When he tackles someone, they remain tackled.
47pt turnaround speaks for itself about belief, persistence, endeavour, pressure and connection... when we bring our 'brand.'

Kinda feels like a 'bonus' 4pts considering where we played, conditions and an elite opposition. Go Blues!
Agree with that except dunno about Cunners. Has speed and is very skilful especially his finishing however, he just seems to me to play the game in a way that matches his demeanour. Quiet, enigmatic sometimes lackadaisical and shows very little emotion. I like to think he makes us better, but I'm not sure he actually does.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #79
Agree with that except dunno about Cunners. Has speed and is very skilful especially his finishing however, he just seems to me to play the game in a way that matches his demeanour. Quiet, enigmatic sometimes lackadaisical and shows very little emotion. I like to think he makes us better, but I'm not sure he actually does.

A bit like Bryce Gibbs!

Vossy wouldn't have Cuners in the team if wasn't working his butt off but he does give the impression that he's cruising.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #80
A bit like Bryce Gibbs!

Vossy wouldn't have Cuners in the team if wasn't working his butt off but he does give the impression that he's cruising.
Sort of like Gibba, he showed emotion when he played. Cunners gives nothing. Make no mistake, when he is on, he oozes class and I reckon that's the main reason he's in the side.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #81
Harry's a +200cm lightning fast KPF who takes contested marks in F50 when the heat is on, late in the game when TDK was rucking and we wanted to put heat around the footy he was even roving the stoppages at speed to bring a physical presence.

But after the game his first comment when asked about rucking was his shins are sore, and sore shins are a pre-cursor to a knee(PCL) and even a minor PCL will smash acceleration.

Like Cripps use him in the F50 at throw ins and ball ups, but the centre square stuff send chills down my spine, the benefit is so small and the risk is so high!

We will divide up ruck duties across the season, there will be weeks when pace isn't the priority issue, and it was clearly the issue last finals and last night, we even mentioned it in the pre-game thread that some of the selections can be explained by a need for pace. Other weeks we'll want size or strength around stoppages or a ruck option that floats a kick behind or into D50 which Pitto does far better than others.

So it mostly depends more on opposition strengths and weaknesses, more than our own, as we now have depth we can leverage. We won't become formulaic, because if we do we are predictable and that is the worst thing an AFL team can be.

Nothing helps a key forward more than having a run on the ball occasionally. Nothing like getting away from multiple defenders and getting your hands on the ball running about on your own. Needs to wear pads around the shins if rucking. Daniher does a great job as 2nd ruck for Brisbane. If you can have an extra runner going round that's a bonus. Better than having someone with fewer touches that can just win a few tap outs.

Reply #82
I reckon the game was very well umpired last night. I thought we got the rub of the green and the ball bounced our way quite a few times also.
Adam saads drag in holding the ball was a gifted goal and he wasn't the one dragging it in.  Neale has a separate set of rules, and our boys get pinged a lot for stuff others get away with. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #83
Adam saads drag in holding the ball was a gifted goal and he wasn't the one dragging it in.  Neale has a separate set of rules, and our boys get pinged a lot for stuff others get away with. 
Im not suggesting mistakes don't get made, they happen every week, human error. I think last nights game was good from an umpiring perspective. The bold bit is utter nonsense.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #84
Im not suggesting mistakes don't get made, they happen every week, human error. I think last nights game was good from an umpiring perspective. The bold bit is utter nonsense.
No it's not. You disagree with it.  Nonsense is the way you've attacked someone else's opinion you disagree with.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #85
No it's not. You disagree with it.  Nonsense is the way you've attacked someone else's opinion you disagree with.
Attacked? Hardly. And sorry but it is nonsense to suggest there are separate rules for a particular player.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #86
Adam saads drag in holding the ball was a gifted goal and he wasn't the one dragging it in.
I think the problem is too many umpires, the more umpires they have the wider the decision variation from event to event.

When Saad was pinged, if it's the event I recall, the umpire was guessing. Why, because the umpire who made the call was directly behind the players and couldn't see which player dragged the ball back.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #87
Watching the replay and see Neale's dog acts that others have referenced.
- dumping Saad outside of play was aggressive and unnecessary
- held Kennedy in a chicken wing to stop his influence, then pushed him into Crippa's lega. Simply dirty deeds..
- his "what about me" gesturing to umps was most unbecoming
Respect dwindling for mine
- q2 pulling the ball back in under a Crippa tackle ignored by a nearby umpire!!!
Sheesh
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #88
Cameron is a sh$t kick for goal
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.