Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 0 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 2723 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 0 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #90
I reckon they'd add some pace to our lineup EB.  Even Weiters has got a bit of toe.
Not sure I agree DJ......I reckon the one area JW can be found out is with a quicker player who leads well.

Reply #91
I can't see them sacking Fagan if he gets another top 4 finish.
Miss the eight (and that's pretty unlikely) and he'd be gone.

Reply #92
I can't see them sacking Fagan if he gets another top 4 finish.
Miss the eight (and that's pretty unlikely) and he'd be gone.
Been there since 2017 as coach ......have built a decent list, cant win at the MCG, think his contract runs out in 2025.
Cant see him lasting that extra season if they dont win the flag, most media scribes have them as favourites which creates extra pressure too..

Reply #93
How many clubs sack a coach after a top 4 finish for performance reasons.

I know we do :D
But others???

Reply #94
I think Fagan is still good with the group, I wouldn’t move him on.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #95
Attacked? Hardly. And sorry but it is nonsense to suggest there are separate rules for a particular player.
nonsense.

Stars get different treatment.  Everyone knows it, they get a discount at the tribunal and they get away with things others can't because the afl likes the star factor.  Some of them get harshly done by, in contrast.  Not sure why it is but it's very subjective and everyone knows it. 

When the umps were blowing heavily Brisbane's way they built a 46 point lead. 

They are capable of influencing results.  They evened it up a bit later on with them giving us a lot of leeway late in the game.

Just because you disagree with a sentiment doesn't make it nonsense, and dusty got away with head high contact fend off's for most of his career.  It wasn't until eds larynx that people noticed.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #96
Not sure I agree DJ......I reckon the one area JW can be found out is with a quicker player who leads well.
In terms of closing speed Weiters is OK, high acceleration is very different for different players, the combination of being elite in both is as rare as rocking horse sh1t.

One of the reasons I do not want BigH rucking is that he has above average acceleration and also good straight line top speed. He can create a gap and run down opponents. People seem to not give the rarity of one player of 200cm with both of those attributes enough respect. The one way we can diminish his career and wreck our huge advantage is have him busted up by a Nankervis or Goldstein type.

On our D50, one of the reasons McGovern has worked so well is that he has that high acceleration combined with good reach and overhead capacity. In combination with Weiters they are every bit as good as May and Lever, and as yet our lot haven't been a defensive duo for half as long.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #97
Its interesting with those players being high quality automatics most weeks but the smaller lineup with extra pace vs Brisbane seem to work well and that quartet would make us a lot slower and probably alter Brisbane's tactics.
I think you have to include agility in the acceleration and speed combination to understand how we clawed back that result on Friday, if I said Weiters lacked one area it would be agility, but he is not alone for blokes that size, which is lucky for Charlie Curnow.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #98
I just re-watched the game and I think it's clear we were at our best when TDK rucked with BigH as high forward and Charlie deep or wide. Then we have the luxury of the odd change up, but not so many rotations as we become predictable / systematic.

As I see it, when BigH rucks not only do we put him at risk, but Charlie then has to deal with extra KPD numbers. But when BigH gets mobile as a forward he draws players far enough out of F50 that they can't flood back onto Charlie, provided we move the ball fast enough. When BigH rucks Charlie loses that leveller, things might be different if Martin returns, but some weeks it will be horses for courses and we will go smaller or taller accordingly.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #99
Watching the game again Doc got 6 kicks in the 2nd qtr  with a stuffed ACL and meniscus. Sometimes they hurt but sometime times you feel no extensive pain. No wonder they were shocked when they found the extent of his injury.

ACL's are overrated...lol.

Reply #100
Agree with that except dunno about Cunners. Has speed and is very skilful especially his finishing however, he just seems to me to play the game in a way that matches his demeanour. Quiet, enigmatic sometimes lackadaisical and shows very little emotion. I like to think he makes us better, but I'm not sure he actually does.
Cunners reminds me Houlihan, very skillful and seems to have heaps of time but also very laconic, almost lazy looking.
That's what classy players can look like.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #101
Cunners reminds me Houlihan, very skillful and seems to have heaps of time but also very laconic, almost lazy looking.
That's what classy players can look like.

Yes, the comparison with Hoops is probably a lot closer than mine with Gibba.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #102
Agree. Fantasia's smarts and disposal in tight were influential. Owies was probably our only 'not quite up to it' player. - Looked good and assured in traffic. First real game in over 12 months I think. Can only get better if he can stay on the park.
Hollands, whose tireless work; defensive work, was terrific... however, he's got to become less fumbly and surer with his hands. - Agreed. Has a big heart for the contest and has no fear.
Crippa, Cera & Hewett were outstanding. Really well supported by Chugga and J Carroll - who looked like he belonged. Announced himself. - Long time coming for Carroll. Should get a few more games this year. Was highly touted when we picked him up.
Good to see Cunners going in hard with his body at times when required. - Agreed and if he kicked straight could of had 3 goals at least.
Entire back-line deserves plaudits. (Pleasantly surprised by Young. Kempy tough and hard). - Agreed. Held it together and Young looked back to his best from 2 years ago. A real bonus if he can keep the form up.
TDK's work was great. Hard at it. 2nd/3rd efforts, terrific. - Kruzer MK 2.
H... silenced the glib and shallow critics in the best way possible. - Agreed
Fogarty... tougher than a cat's head. Valuable. When he tackles someone, they remain tackled. - The one that stood out to me was the tackle on MCINERNEY. Had some help but i don't think he needed it.
47pt turnaround speaks for itself about belief, persistence, endeavour, pressure and connection... when we bring our 'brand.' - Wife's  birthday on Friday so we were out and saw the first half on the big screed. Was about to throw my beer at the screen but thought second off it and drank it instead. Kept an eye on the score when we got home and was rapped they got up after thinking we had no hope in hell of winning.

Kinda feels like a 'bonus' 4pts considering where we played, conditions and an elite opposition. Go Blues!

Reply #103
Watching the game again Doc got 6 kicks in the 2nd qtr  with a stuffed ACL and meniscus. Sometimes they hurt but sometime times you feel no extensive pain. No wonder they were shocked when they found the extent of his injury.

ACL's are overrated...lol.

Assessment for ACLs are overrated!

I had my own experience of rupturing my ACL, torn meniscis, and some other damage. Physio said ACL's ok, here's the exercises and off I went. A year later (pain, ltd sleep etc), my only option was a total knee replacement.

Doc will have the best care available and continue to be a leader. I'd love to see him pull on the guernsey again 🤞
If anyone can. Doc can
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #104
I think you have to include agility in the acceleration and speed combination to understand how we clawed back that result on Friday, if I said Weiters lacked one area it would be agility, but he is not alone for blokes that size, which is lucky for Charlie Curnow.
The player I have seem him struggle with is Larkey from Nth Melbourne who doesnt attempt to wrestle in the goal square which is Weiterings forte but leads up the ground and doesnt mind taking his shots from further out as he is an excellent converter.