Skip to main content
Topic: Legends Football League (Read 14275 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Legends Football League

Reply #15
I think it is a bit extreme to compare these girls to strippers though.

Personally, I think women have missed the point. Here is one clear aspect of sport or TV broadcasts that the best male sportsmen in the world cannot hope to compete with. If it is managed well, and doesn't stoop to the low points then I think it is a great opportunity.

The reaction reminds me of Roller Ball in the original days, when that first aired it was all about bikini clad girls not doing very much at all, fluff. Eventually it morphed into a vicious professional sport with heroines and villains like any competitive team sport. Actually it did better in that violent form than the fluffy version, until the goody-two-shoes got their way and banned it due to the violence, apparently good girls don't get blood noses! Of all the things you could have banned it for violence seemed the least likely! Yet for me the irony is the physical aspect of the contest is exactly what they would use to validate it as a real sport!

I find it ironic that one of the loudest critics of the womens football is strongly associated with beach volleyball! The outfits these girls wear are no more or less than that of a beach volleyball player, just with a few added decorations and padding. Actually they probably expose less than beach volleyball player! Womens sport is not without some hypocrisy it seems!

What about the womens hockey? They run around scantily clad with outfits that barely cover their butt, yet nobody complains about it being sexist. As it turns out the hockey outfits were designed by a woman with the assistance of the players!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
What about Netballers in those skimpy shorts? I was explaining to my near 3 year old son the other day that the real aim in life when he gets older is to get into those shorts as much as possible! lol
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #17
If you were cynical it would make you wonder if some of this criticism is just some of those other sports defending their hard won turf!

Look at the triathlon, both sexes are near nude!

What about the Life saving carnivals, wedgies a plenty for the boat crews nobody wants the broadcast banned!

Hey, I don't give a feck, paint the jumpers on the AFL players if they can find a way to do it without adverse health effects!

I rather a year of TV full of shallow opportunistic pseudo-sports than a week of "Big Turkey Slap" or "Next Super Uber Celebrity Dancing with Fools"!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
Never said I had a problem with scantily clad women, and I certainly have no issue attracting attention myself. But don't masquerade this BS as 'sport'.

Would rather go to the strippers where at least they earn decent money for being perved on.

'Masquerading' is a big part of the world we live in. In fact it is a major industry... in all its subtleties. We have many politicians masquerading as leaders, for example!

Sexuality is an intrinsic part of our nature and trying to remove it from sport just won't work... particularly for women - sorry but you're just fabulous to look at, whether playing sport, acting, walking down the street, singing or delivering an inspiring humanitarian speech! And you feel really good too!

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19
Never said I had a problem with scantily clad women, and I certainly have no issue attracting attention myself. But don't masquerade this BS as 'sport'.

Would rather go to the strippers where at least they earn decent money for being perved on.

Hmmm, so at what stage do the Lingerie Footballers drop their lingerie and spread their legs? Must have missed that bit spewing hard!! :))
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #20
I understand the feminist perspective, but these girls are not playing to tear-away clothing. Although I concede the organizers might be trying to promote that perspective in much of the advertising.

I feel extreme reactions do no justice to the cause and only serve to promote the very thing they oppose!

Why not just leave the sport as it stands and lobby for a slight dress code change, but if they do that you must apply the same rules to every other sport so as not to be seen to discriminate!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #21
It's a fad....
It won't last more than a year or two.
A few folk will make a bit of money, but it will eventually go the way of the Bluebirds and the Swanettes.

There's a chance it might morph into a serious competition, with a change in attire...because I reckon it would be a good sport for the ladies to play and enjoy.

Reply #22
Oh old fashion lodsie!  ;D

Reply #23
I understand the feminist perspective, but these girls are not playing to tear-away clothing. Although I concede the organizers might be trying to promote that perspective in much of the advertising.

I feel extreme reactions do no justice to the cause and only serve to promote the very thing they oppose!

Why not just leave the sport as it stands and lobby for a slight dress code change, but if they do that you must apply the same rules to every other sport so as not to be seen to discriminate!

The difference between this sport and the others that have been mentioned that incorporate very little clothing is that the others for the most part have a practical reason for the uniform. I mean beach volleyball for instance (although I probably wouldn't be comfortable wearing that) you can understand why they wouldn't want to wear a whole hell of a lot more. No one wants sand in any more places than it already gets. Likewise triathlon, the less you wear, the easier and better your performance.

With football/gridiron though, there's no logical reason to be wearing a bikini. Most of you guys have played footy I would imagine, I don't know about you but I used to get some amazing bruises on my arms from being tackled, usually by people with grippo on their hands. Now you take off half of the clothes you're wearing and damn that would hurt a lot more.

As for my stripper comparison, I wasn't comparing them to strippers, more the voyeristic intention of the audience.

On the flip side, one thing I'm really happy to see is youth girl AFL alignments with TAC cup teams. Now that's a step in a great direction, where we can develop women to play a high standard of football and it actually be about the football.

Reply #25

With football/gridiron though, there's no logical reason to be wearing a bikini.

Their logical reasoning is money. Most (if not all) blokes would turn on the TV or attend the game and watch it like little humping dogs, which rakes in the mullah!

I personally would not play in that attire, but if those girls want to do so, good luck to them!
Why did the Carlton FC fall? So they could learn to pick themselves up.

Reply #26
I'd play in a mankini.

Reply #27
You are a sad, strange, little man. You have my pity.
Why did the Carlton FC fall? So they could learn to pick themselves up.

Reply #28
It's a fad....
It won't last more than a year or two.
A few folk will make a bit of money, but it will eventually go the way of the Bluebirds and the Swanettes.

Spot on. In the US it's big but then again so are guns!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #29
On the flip side, one thing I'm really happy to see is youth girl AFL alignments with TAC cup teams. Now that's a step in a great direction, where we can develop women to play a high standard of football and it actually be about the football.

So no bikinis for women AFL footballers in the future? :P

Seriously, you are right but such is life. Worry about the things you can control. Women will always be happy to show off their bodies for a little coin and guys will always be happy to fork out some deniro. It's human nature. Testosterone dictates what men think and do. Women will never understand because they don't have enough of the stuff in them to realise what it does.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!