Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 4 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle in Adelaide (Read 2990 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 4 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle in Adelaide

Reply #30
A consistent home and away team needs stability and understanding your roles.

TDK has been great in the ruck -  looks much more battle hardened now and winning more tackles and clearances..and hit outs than last year. I don't think he is in good form its his natural growth and no one knows where his ceiling is just yet. Lets find out where that is and we will never find out if his rhythm is disrupted.
Agreed, he is not in good form yet but his confidence is growing and form should improve with confidence.

If anything it's an even bigger positive because he is finding ways to have influence even if he isn't dominating. In particular his 2nd Efforts and Body work are up on previous seasons, which makes it possible to put the brakes on opposition while making life just a little easier for Cripps and our other Mids.

One of the biggest things rucks learn with experience is where to be and when, putting themselves in just the right position to leave space for team-mates while hindering opponents. Kreuzer was always good at it, Gawn is exceptional, it happens 5m or 10m away from where the ball is to force opponents to deviate in a chase or be delayed closing space.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
I reckon Tom De Koning is in career best form.  I think that's largely due his greater opportunity to stay involved in the game this season.

From a statistical viewpoint, most of his numbers are significantly higher, particularly hitouts, tackles, metres gained, inside 50s and rebound 50s, and his disposal efficiency is much higher.  He is ranked 6th for hitouts.

The thing with Tom is that we really don't know how good he can be.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #32
For me good form in the ruck isn't just about personal stats, it's about stopping opponents from getting similar results. It's always been one of my arguments against some of our alternative 2nd ruck options, because despite doing OK themselves they aren't able to restrict their opponents, they let opponents of the leash.

So for me a ruck in very good form dominates and supresses opponents, at the moment TDK is playing well but for me he is mostly breaking even with his direct opponents.

Don't get me wrong, he's playing well, and going head to head with very good rucks like Gawn and Nankervis, when he puts them to the sword like they have done to him in the past that's when he'll be at his best.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #33
Not sure TDK is going that great....didnt think he dominated vs Nth and his opponent Xerri who could be described as awkward at best matched him in the ruck and was better in the clearances and contested work. Think both of them took one mark for the game each....
Im not paying TDK a zillion a year based on that effort and imho he is a tad overrated for what he delivers....I preferred his game when Pittonet would spend the first half softening their opponents up and TDK would take over later in the game and be more dominating....

Reply #34
Not sure TDK is going that great....didnt think he dominated vs Nth and his opponent Xerri who could be described as awkward at best matched him in the ruck and was better in the clearances and contested work. Think both of them took one mark for the game each....
Im not paying TDK a zillion a year based on that effort and imho he is a tad overrated for what he delivers....I preferred his game when Pittonet would spend the first half softening their opponents up and TDK would take over later in the game and be more dominating....
I think the other thing to think about in this equation is how beneficial it has been for Harry to be the support ruckman - he gets to escape the smothering that happens in the forward line, get some disposals and make an impact - and I reckon his forward work has improved because of that.  If we run TDK and Pitto, Harry probably stays stuck in the forward line.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #35
I think the other thing to think about in this equation is how beneficial it has been for Harry to be the support ruckman - he gets to escape the smothering that happens in the forward line, get some disposals and make an impact - and I reckon his forward work has improved because of that.  If we run TDK and Pitto, Harry probably stays stuck in the forward line.

Fair points Tonyo...Harry has benefited from his holidays from the forward line and seems happier with himself which has made us a better team so far. I still think there is a place for Pittonet in a horses for courses sense and Im still unsure on TDK and how he will go rucking the majority of every game for the entire season. Be a good test for TDK vs Jackson from Freo who has been playing better with Darcy missing  and I'll be watching with interest how he and Harry handle the workload.

Reply #36
IN
Brodie Kemp
-
OUT
Caleb Marchbank (Injured)

Reply #37
HTF Fantasia keeps getting a game is beyond me.  The photos must be incriminating.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #38
HTF Fantasia keeps getting a game is beyond me.  The photos must be incriminating.
I don't think he's been all that bad, albeit his possession count has been low, he definitely has a touch of class when he gets his hands on it. You also need to look at who he is keeping out and I'm not sure anyone is knocking the door down ATM. This will definitely change in the coming weeks as Martin, and Motlop become available.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #39
Both of those need to come back via the seconds.  No automatic selections.  No passengers.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #40
Both of those need to come back via the seconds.  No automatic selections.  No passengers.
Martin is quality but fragile, I wouldn’t wast any games he can play in the seconds unless he needs to find fitness, but I agree with your sentiment in general.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #41
One thing we should not overlook, is that from a team point of view, two of our best performances last year (v Swans and Melb in Sept) it was the Pittonet / TDK combination that worked for us. It should not be discounted when the time is right.

Reply #42
Horses for courses playing 2 rucks it's that simple, no need to complicate it. TDK is the No 1 ruck,  Pittonet only comes in when TDK injured or the opposition demands it. TDK' s next phase of development is to learn the skills that Gawn has which someone mentioned. I.e when you don't have the ball, block, shepherd, clear a path for the smaller players  Kreuzer was very good at this,  played like a ruck rover when the ball hit the ground. Very team oriented and smart. TDK yet to learn these aspects of the craft IMO.

Reply #43

I think he's playing a selfless role, has football nous a plenty and is playing a position that isn't going to rack up stats.  Boyd and fantasia both were in a position to have a rush of blood and try score a goal but lowered their eyes and spotted up a team mate closer and in better position to score resulting in goals. 

I'd wager he's a leader in our forward line too where there are a lot of players who haven't had a proper mentor so willing to let him do that.

So far he hasn't been stellar but he hasn't really done much wrong either.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #44
Let's hope captain Crippa is quick to recover after the baby Koda arrival.
Wonderful news for Mr & Mrs Crippa.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.