Skip to main content
Topic: Derryn Hinch going in prison (Read 15054 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Derryn Hinch going in prison

Reply #15
The law is the law - if we don't like it then we should demand change - all for that.

Hinch has taken it upon himself to make the determination himself though as to whether the law is to be followed or not. If he wants to do that then he can live with the consequences i.e. porridge in this case.

It's a Hinch (I'll name names) publicity stunt anyway - yawwwn.  ::)

Hinch is demanding that the laws change, has been campaigning for that for some time. At least he'll let his actions back up the words.

You're damn straight it's a publicity stunt, it brings to the publics attention how inadequate our current laws are where the scum have more rights than the victims.

I think a lot of us have been demanding changes to the law, and when the useless twat Ted Baillieu became Premier he said that he was going to get tough on crime and push for harsher sentencing. What a joke that was.

Our prison system has been overcrowded for more than a decade, which is why pedophiles and rapists continuously get light or suspended sentences. There's nowhere to put them. Then to add insult to injury you've got all of these laws to protect the identities of the sick bastards.

I don't care if Derryn Hinch does get some pleasure out of his martyrdom, the fact is he's doing the right thing and for that I hold him in the highest respect. I wish there were more people like him in the public eye.

Reply #16
+1

Hinch is not going to jail to satisfy his own needs.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #17
More about his ratings IMO.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #19

His ratings are fine cookie he's made a good living has plenty of coin etc. Surely his career will take a hit from spending 50 days in jail.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #20

His ratings are fine cookie he's made a good living has plenty of coin etc. Surely his career will take a hit from spending 50 days in jail.

Mate, if he's got plenty of coin why doesn't he pay the fine and avoid the slammer?  ???

Reply #21

Mate, if he's got plenty of coin why doesn't he pay the fine and avoid the slammer?  ???

Because there's a principle involved.

Reply #22

Because there's a principle involved.

Yes correct.

Cookie your point is a good one but the hit he takes from 50 days off air would be far greater than any positive effect playing the martyr may have for his career.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #23
Sorry guys but I just don't buy Hinch.

Reply #24
Sorry guys but I just don't buy Hinch.

Neither do I but I'm not letting my bias get in the way! :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #26
Derryn, himself, was a victim of child sex abuse and explains much of his anx re sex offenders. And he's a flamboyant journalist. If you're going to rate, you're going to have to 'stand out.' He will benefit more from jail time publicity than simply paying the fine. And that means we'll be hearing lots about him and then lots from him when out of prison. The loot he'll get from his story and subsequent publicity will put him, $ wise, way out in front. His manner still irks me, but his passion for justice I believe is needed; very needed. Not enough like him in that respect... especially in our limp attitude to social justice.

But there's a bigger issue here which NAVY MAVEN articulated really well.

We have a right to be outraged by injustice and we should express that outrage. It's an outrage that is too easily quietened in today's distraction obsessed culture.

Sexual crimes are especially vile... and so are the sick creatures who perpetrate them. One of the main ideas of incarceration is to PROTECT innocent citizens... hell, they don't even have to be innocent! And our legal systems are failing, grandly in this area. There's an Irish family, forever, now, living in grief because a sick individual was allowed back on the streets too early... and there are many others.

And it goes even further! How many sick bastards running major organisations get away with all manner of crime? Hell, one of the most influential nations on the planet wanted to impeach a President for lying about having his stalk smoked by an intern yet a pile of refuse lied to the same nation about WMDs which ended in 100,000s of people dying!  :-X So much more I'd love to write about that (and have in other more appropriate forums). :-X

In one respect, thank the gods for the Hinches, Pilgers, Moores etc. We need much more courage in journalism today... just look at what another pile of refuse is getting away with (Abbott and his 'secret men's club of running govt.') at present. Mm, yes, went on a bit... touched a nerve.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #27
Very good post Navy Maven .

A pity there aren't more public figures out there with the guts to name and shame these grubs like Hinch  has done .
50 days in the nick to save hundred grand . I can see the value in doing that .
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #28
The law is the law - if we don't like it then we should demand change - all for that.

Hinch has taken it upon himself to make the determination himself though as to whether the law is to be followed or not. If he wants to do that then he can live with the consequences i.e. porridge in this case.

It's a Hinch (I'll name names) publicity stunt anyway - yawwwn.  ::)

Hinch is demanding that the laws change, has been campaigning for that for some time. At least he'll let his actions back up the words.

You're damn straight it's a publicity stunt, it brings to the publics attention how inadequate our current laws are where the scum have more rights than the victims.

I think a lot of us have been demanding changes to the law, and when the useless twat Ted Baillieu became Premier he said that he was going to get tough on crime and push for harsher sentencing. What a joke that was.

Our prison system has been overcrowded for more than a decade, which is why pedophiles and rapists continuously get light or suspended sentences. There's nowhere to put them. Then to add insult to injury you've got all of these laws to protect the identities of the sick bastards.

I don't care if Derryn Hinch does get some pleasure out of his martyrdom, the fact is he's doing the right thing and for that I hold him in the highest respect. I wish there were more people like him in the public eye.

Fair comments and I agree, I understand Cookies viewpoint that  Hinch is a self promoting headline seeker but if he is a means to an end then I am willing to look at the bigger issue and overlook Hinch's negatives....
We need to get tougher on these type of crimes and the system has failed.....if it takes Hinch to highlight  these failings in the media then so be it...

Reply #29
Hinch in the nick
let me mind the key !!