Skip to main content
Topic: Ashes 2019 (Read 52987 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ashes 2019

Reply #45
Red ball and white ball cricket are alot different. Carey averages 29 in first class cricket. Paine averages 35 in Test Cricket.

Who would he replace?

I don't give a stuff about red vs white ball cricket primarily because people lump T20 in with ODI, I think the difference between ODI and Test is greatly overstated and all the genuinely likely candidates can bat 50 overs in either version which is nearly a ton up!

Bancroft, Head and Paine are lucky to still be in the squad as far as I am concerned. I suspect Paine will continue to get the nod regardless of form because of ACB desires to build an image and not much else.

While I wasn't a fan of Khawaja in the ODI, I'm for him in the test arena as long as he bats reliably, I don't care about his run rate. I think we need him and Smith to anchor the innings.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #46
I don't give a stuff about red vs white ball cricket primarily because people lump T20 in with ODI, I think the difference between ODI and Test is greatly overstated and all the genuinely likely candidates can bat 50 overs in either version which is nearly a ton up!

Bancroft, Head and Paine are lucky to still be in the squad as far as I am concerned. I suspect Paine will continue to get the nod regardless of form because of ACB desires to build an image and not much else.

While I wasn't a fan of Khawaja in the ODI, I'm for him in the test arena as long as he bats reliably, I don't care about his run rate. I think we need him and Smith to anchor the innings.

There's a huge difference difference between Test and ODI. Saying you don't give a stuff about it is showing a real lack of knowledge. Techniques are different, seam on the ball different, field placings are different and not restricted, tactics are different. How do your not know that?

Bancroft has done enough, no one else you can say is better, some maybe equal. Led our runs scorers in South Africa. Maybe you think Carey should opening the batting...lol  Head led our runs scorers against India so it's plain stupid to say he's lucky as it stands right now, and Paine averages 35 in Test Cricket. Carey will likely end up better with the bat than Paine eventually, not with the gloves, but he needs to average better than 29 in first class cricket before he gets in ahead of Paine. Paine is a much better actual keeper, you know, the position they are vying for.

Still haven't said who Carey replaces? All you've done is mention a pile of names who you think is lucky.

Reply #47
Techniques are different, seam on the ball different, field placings are different and not restricted, tactics are different. How do your not know that?

The seam being different is a complete urban myth started by players trying to make a case to use their preferred brand of ball, it was debunked by the manufacturers years ago with all first class makers stating the only difference between first class cricket balls is the colour of the dye used. If you use Duke first class balls they are all the same regardless of colour, same applies to Kookaburra first class balls.

(When WSC originally started there was an issue because only one supplier made white cricket balls so the brand could change with the change of colour.)

It's no kiddy cricket!

Carey batted through the ODI World Cup is mostly a classic manner, he wasn't leveraging field placings and kept the ball on the ground for the bulk of his innings.

The issue of tactics means jack crap when a classical batsmen is in good form! Now if you made the same comments about cross bat hacks like Warner, Finch or Maxwell that is a different argument, but Carey is as correct as any batsmen on the planet!

As a batsmen/keeper Carey can replace any of Bancroft, Head or Paine, even Wade, take your pick!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
Lot of faith being shown in Khawaja, Wade and Bancroft.   I hope that faith is justified.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #49
Warner fails.

1/12.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #50
The other sand paper man gone. Feeble stroke.

2/17
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #51
 >:( Very brittle

Reply #52
... and Usman falls ....

Reply #53
Warner...continues his woeful record in England. 

Bancroft..... Langer loves his "mental strength".  I thought he  in was in the side to make runs?  Needs to show something very fast.

Khawaja.... Most over rated Oz bat I can think of since..... Graham Woood.   One innings of substance in the last two years.  Why do we keep rushing this bloke back from injury?  Why?   I just don't get it.  Is it because he bats in a pretty manner?  

Reply #54
Warner...continues his woeful record in England. 

Bancroft..... Langer loves his "mental strength".  I thought he  in was in the side to make runs?  Needs to show something very fast.

Khawaja.... Most over rated Oz bat I can think of since..... Graham Woood.   One innings of substance in the last two years.  Why do we keep rushing this bloke back from injury?  Why?   I just don't get it.  Is it because he bats in a pretty manner?

Bancroft had done nothing to be in the team IMO....apart from be another Langar pet from WA.
I guess Cummins will have to save the day again.

Reply #55
Yep. Token Western Australian representative.  Inexcusable dismissal from a so called opener.  

Absolutely staggered why we keep going back to Khawaja.
 Has under delivered for ten years.  He just gets out in such soft ways.   It's test cricket:  make them get you out not throwing it away nicking off to crap.

Reply #56
Stokes and Ali took the foot off our throat late in that session.   Dunno how much fuel Broad and Jimmy have in the tank.

Reply #57
Stokes and Ali took the foot off our throat late in that session.   Dunno how much fuel Broad and Jimmy have in the tank.

I think Woakes will do a lot of the hack work, Stokes is a good cricketer but rates himself a bit too much and can bowl a bit of carp when he gets carried away.
Reckon Anderson will be 4 overs at a time only. Broad has surprised me, thought he was retirement material after seeing him out in Aus last time.
Ali is just rubbish IMO, dont know how he gets wickets or remains the teams No 1 spinner(roller), maybe I am a biased Aussie but getting out to him is a crime IMO, hope they bowl him
for a long spell after lunch.

Reply #58
Seriously EB!

Stokes' head is so far up his own butt it's laughable....he'll never be any good at test level.

Ali - yep, joke.

Jimmy and Broad - last hurrah? They'll make the pitches to suit these two...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #59
Seriously EB!

Stokes' head is so far up his own butt it's laughable....he'll never be any good at test level.

Ali - yep, joke.

Jimmy and Broad - last hurrah? They'll make the pitches to suit these two...

Fly, I rate Stokes, as a kid stood up to Mitch Johnson bowling@150k and made good runs, is a great gully field and his bowling can be handy, he is smart Ar$e for sure
but he can play decent cricket and while he averages only around 34 at test level he seems to make runs when it matters and I'll be glad to see the back of him
when the Poms bat.