Skip to main content
Topic: Ashes 2019 (Read 56719 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ashes 2019

Reply #90
Thinking it was a light issue. We opened with Siddle and Lyon. Probably why we batted so long.

It was far more than odd fly .... it was bloody stupid.  Should have just blasted whatever we could muster.

When Siddle opened I had an online tête-à-tête with a mate last night, my mate claiming this is where not picking Starc bites us on the ar5e. But I pointed out, Starc might get 2 for 10 off 3 overs, but he could also be 0 for 30 at stumps and leave The Poms with only 320 runs to get tomorrow. 385 in a day versus 350 is a world of difference on a degraded pitch!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #91
Get in there Aussies
Well played.

Margin flattered the poms.
We had a large number of those terrible decisions go against us.

The opener was lbw on 11.
Warner not out
Pattinson not out

Still prevailed comfortably

Bring on lords

Reply #92
Roy, Denly, Butler...not sure the English have figured out its test cricket and these one day players dont belong. How Ali keeps getting a game is beyond me.
Full credit to Smith, kept us the game and given the pressure he was under it was a wonderful batting display, also was the defacto captain.
Matthew Wade was the surprise batting at 6, didnt expect that and Travis Head has become a very reliable player.

Onto Lords, cant see us making many changes...Poms need to make about 5...

Reply #93
Our players that get paid to make runs with the bat in the higher order need to be more composed and score more consistently. That can’t have Smith, Siddle and Wade carry the side making most of the runs. Not saying it was a huge problem in this test, but our upper order don’t set a good platform for a decent score often enough.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #94
What a turnaround from 8 for 122!

We’ll played ????????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #95
That'll shut up the booing from the Poms. 

Reply #96
That'll shut up the booing from the Poms.

You're winding me up are you! :o

What's the equivalent of booing at Lords, nasty tennis claps?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #97
Steve Smith -what a bat.

And let's not forget the balding GOAT....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #98
You're winding me up are you! :o

What's the equivalent of booing at Lords, nasty tennis claps?

Never been one to count my chickens (test cricket in particular) but one up in the series, it was some karma after their rag newspapers suggested life bans for Warner and Smith but did nothing about Atherton.

Anyway, great to see Lyon making Moeen Ali look like an idiot.  On HIS pitch 

Reply #99
Steve Smith -what a bat.

And let's not forget the balding GOAT....

Imagine if they actually selected some extra in form players around them, instead of carrying half the squad they would be boosting it?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #100
Our players that get paid to make runs with the bat in the higher order need to be more composed and score more consistently. That can’t have Smith, Siddle and Wade carry the side making most of the runs. Not saying it was a huge problem in this test, but our upper order don’t set a good platform for a decent score often enough.

They all made runs in the 2nd dig bar the openers and even then Warner was unlucky trying to withdraw the bat but still catch the edge. First innings was pretty poor though. Hopefully we aren't 8/122 too often.

Reply #101
The interesting thing when you line up the 2 sides today it feels to me like the Aussies have a much stronger and more balanced squad. This will count for a lot in a 5 test series.

One way to think about it is on Sunday when the English selectors sit down to pick their side for the 2nd test, if the Australian 'bench' was available almost all of them would be walk up starts to the English team. Right now Hazlewood, Starc, Harriss, Carey & probably Labuschange would all get into the English 11. Root and Stokes are the only test quality batsmen in form, and Broad is there only bowler who threatens on a flat deck.

Archer is going to have to do something amazing to get them back into the series as without Anderson or a half decent spinner the bowling is too thin. 

Reply #102
They all made runs in the 2nd dig bar the openers and even then Warner was unlucky trying to withdraw the bat but still catch the edge. First innings was pretty poor though. Hopefully we aren't 8/122 too often.

Given quite a few of our dismissals were not out if we had appealed, I suspect we won't have that sort of luck two tests running and England won't get a run like that again this series.

Fancy having all that luck go your way and still losing, ............ it must be devastating!

The Force Awakens!

Reply #103
Given quite a few of our dismissals were not out if we had appealed, I suspect we won't have that sort of luck two tests running and England won't get a run like that again this series.

Fancy having all that luck go your way and still losing, ............ it must be devastating!

Think they will change their attack up a bit...my tip is Joffra Archer and Jack Leach in for the injured Anderson and out of form and favorite Lyon bunny in Ali.
Archer is a good bowler, real quick and accurate as we have seen in the BB and WC so given Anderson didnt bowl I think runs will be harder to get as the attacking but loose Stokes wont bowl as much and Ali wont be playing.
Leach is a left arm orthodox spinner and will be selected for Smith imo as his type are about the only bowlers that Smith seems to struggle with at times, Leach is your old county pro
and while no threat of running through a team will be harder to get away.
Also think they might ease Bairstow's load and allow him to play as a batsman only and bring in Ben Foakes who is a good keeper and very decent hard hitting batsman...Butler might go out.
Reckon they will go with Roy again as they dont have many opening options and when he is on he is very destructive but he doesnt come across as test material to me and they might give Denly one more game.
Tells you something when we have Smith at No 4 doing Bradman like stuff and the English have Denly at 4 who averages around 23 in test cricket.....
Reckon the Poms will be better at Lords but it would be a big surprise to me  if they win....I think we will stick with Siddle and Pattinson and refuse the temptation to play Starc.

Reply #104
I think well avoid Starc because we won, but I suspect if we'd lost we would bring him straight in.

Which is why I think they'll bring in Archer even though his Test Match durability is just as questionable as Anderson.

The risk is that Archer breaks down and they lose another test, if that happens I suspect Trevor Bayliss is a goner!

Pattinson, as much as I like him, bowl poo! But I agree, I think Pattinson's secure for now which is a bit sad for Siddle, given Siddle's batting basically helped win the test! How Siddle didn't end up with 3 or 4 wickets is a dead set mystery of sport, he was all over them like a rash and couldn't hit a stump, find an edge or luck an umpire's call!
The Force Awakens!