Skip to main content
Topic: Ashes 2019 (Read 57107 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ashes 2019

Reply #210
Wasted the new ball,  lack a serious fifth bowling option and Stokes was too good.  Sometimes the other mob is just a bit better.

Got carried away when they got rolled for 67.  That's wasn't going to happen twice.

Our bowlers were stuffed and there’s a sameness about the three quicks.  A genuine bowling all rounder would be a huge improvement.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #211
Our bowlers were stuffed and there’s a sameness about the three quicks.  A genuine bowling all rounder would be a huge improvement.

I don't get this at all, moderate or even mild conditions by our standards, players trained better and more professionally than ever before with many support staff. And not one of them capable of enduring bowling stints that blokes like Lillee, Walker or Gilmore would rack up three decade ago in-between a packet of gaspers!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #212
If Paine can't captain a side properly he has no business being there. At 35yo he's not as good as he was with the bat so he's now no value.

Oh, for a Mark Taylor.  The DRS system is still seriously flawed.  It's a match we should NEVER have lost. 

Reply #213
Some thoughts ...

Yep, choked.

Like a footy match where everyone focuses on the last controversial free kick, there were many other moments which proved telling. Always thought we needed another 30 or 40 runs. Labuschagne's run out was just stupid.

I don't have the stats to back it up but are Australia the WORST users of the DRS?  Biggest problem is that Umpires are scared to make a decision.

And finally, ...
"Ben Stokes knocked two men unconscious in a street brawl after flicking a cigarette butt at gay men he mocked outside a nightclub, the prosecution has said at the England cricket star's trial."

So this guy is now a national hero while we are hated and pilloried for rubbing a ball with sandpaper?

Can't wait for the movie, "England. The undeserving."
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #214

A certain leftie may have helped our cause.....known for his ability to pluck wickets out of nowhere and to clean up tails!

Tests aren't about conserving runs, they're about taking wickets.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #215
And let's be honest, but for Paine being Captain, he would be dropped for Carey in a heartbeat.

In an ideal world - ins for 4th Test - Starc, Smith and Carey.

Out - Khawaja, Pattinson and Paine.

Even Carey in for Wade or Head tbh!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #216
I was boosting Carey before the 1st test and people on here bagged me!

I think he looks to have the best all-round game of any batting candidate on the ACB roster.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #217
There was no plan how to handle the situation. 

Paine turned it into a one-day game which is Stokes' forte.  In a partnership of 73 off 62 balls, Jack Leach faced only 17 balls.  They let Stokes milk the strike with no idea how to stop it.  They kept bowling back of a length to a guy who was smashing them over the point and square leg fence - why no yorkers....!!!???? 

And then, they review an LBW shout that pitched so far outside leg that it's even lucky it hit a pad. I was screaming at the tele, 'don't do it' - if I can see it from 10,000 km away how come they can't?

Just plain dumb, and 3 hours of sleep I will never get back.

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #218
There was no plan how to handle the situation. 

Paine turned it into a one-day game which is Stokes' forte.  In a partnership of 73 off 62 balls, Jack Leach faced only 17 balls.  They let Stokes milk the strike with no idea how to stop it.  They kept bowling back of a length to a guy who was smashing them over the point and square leg fence - why no yorkers....!!!???? 

And then, they review an LBW shout that pitched so far outside leg that it's even lucky it hit a pad. I was screaming at the tele, 'don't do it' - if I can see it from 10,000 km away how come they can't?

Just plain dumb, and 3 hours of sleep I will never get back.

Kudos for actually watching it....I was cooked after a 4am finish on saturday morning !....just as well probably, my TV would have had a remote sized hole in it yesterday.

However, we are in the position of being able to bring in fresh, world class fast bowlers...Starc will play next test.  Poms bowlers are going to be flatter with every Test.....if we win the next test then Stokes innings & everything that went on that final day becomes completely irrelevant.  We need to use that as motivation.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #219
Paine could've finished his cricket career, when he retired, with a the legacy as a captain who retained the Ashes on English soil for the first time in 17 years. Through a a lack of composure though it's now possible he could be the man that cost Australia the Ashes through absolute stupidity.

At least he has two Tests to win one of them and still retain the Ashes. He now has to learn from his mistakes.

Reply #220
Kudos to Smith, put the Ashes ahead of a worthless tour match.

I can't believe the hypocrisy of the commentary, claiming Smith has devalued cricket by leaving the field to get meaningful net practise. So Smith demeans the sport they claim.

But the ECB can organise a tour match full of spinners and mediocre part-time medium pacers for Smith to practise against pre-Archer or Broad.

The commentators and the ECB are the hypocrites.

Smith has put the Ashes and cricket in general well ahead of meaningless stats playing against a half-arsed tour match squad full of weekend warriors!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #221
Kudos to Smith, put the Ashes ahead of a worthless tour match.

I can't believe the hypocrisy of the commentary, claiming Smith has devalued cricket by leaving the field to get meaningful net practise. So Smith demeans the sport they claim.

But the ECB can organise a tour match full of spinners and mediocre part-time medium pacers for Smith to practise against pre-Archer.

The commentators and the ECB are the hypocrites.

Smith has put the Ashes and cricket in general well ahead of meaningless stats playing against a half-arsed tour match squad full of weekend warriors!

Smith reportedly lost 3-5 mill being out of cricket for his suspended period and its rumored he has demanded a truckload of money from the ACB if they want to make him captain again..

Reply #222
No way should he ever be Captain.

And he wasn't even a good Captain imo (though better than Paine)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #223
Steve Smith might have lost 3-5 mill from cricket but a $100k investment in the Koala Mattress company has netted him 12 million, looks like he has been sleeping like a baby, who said cheats dont prosper.... 8)

Reply #224
Steve Smith might have lost 3-5 mill from cricket but a $100k investment in the Koala Mattress company has netted him 12 million, looks like he has been sleeping like a baby, who said cheats dont prosper.... 8)

Well done Steve Smith.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.