Skip to main content
Topic: Ashes 2019 (Read 57113 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ashes 2019

Reply #240
Where Warner got it right last Test he just played straight down the line and if it swung he missed it. Went back to being hesitant last night and nicked it.

Reply #241
England almost did Australia a favor knocking out Smith at Lords. It brought in Marcus Labuschagne making our batting so much stronger.

Reply #242
Where Warner got it right last Test he just played straight down the line and if it swung he missed it. Went back to being hesitant last night and nicked it.

He was simply lucky it was doing so much.
He struggles in England.
Can't deny that

Reply #243
I was listening to the radio when Warner got out, and the English commentators remarked that Warner was 'clearly not in good nick this series'.

That is a load of rubbish, as Warner is in the best 'nick' of his career, seeing as that's about the only shot he has played consistently in this series.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #244
The reality is Warner has never been good against good seam or swing bowling. He's quite good at dealing with pace and bounce, but sideways gets him time after time.

People talk about some previous tour in which he scored, but they neglect to highlight that the various cricket boards change the specification of pitches and balls each series to suit their own attacks or batting line ups. It's not clear at all if in those earlier series Warner had to deal with much sideways movement.

I think he has missed a trick, he's trying too hard to bat for the long innings, a bit like Joe Root. I think Warner should go out there and bat like it's an ODI and if he gets set he's then got the opportunity to continue. That way he is at least likely to get a few decent 30 to 50 run starts!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #245
Reality...Broad is bowling well to Warner, he looked finished in Aus but has regained some pace and on English wickets is hard work as he is swinging/seaming the ball every match
and knows his craft. Warner is a fine player as his record suggests but the bowlers are dominating this series and only Smith who is an eccentric talent and Marnus loose bus change are able to graft and build an innings. Warner has the twice the talent of the gritty Marnus but grafting and grinding isnt his go, doesnt help either that his two partners in Bancroft and Harris cant get the ball of the square either and dont hang around long enough to rotate the strike and get Warner away from Broad.

We are well positioned with runs on the board and Smith in charge, the pitch is flat and at the end of the day we can take our time as England have to win the series
and we can hang in and draw these next two tests if we have to. Stokes cant keep saving and winning games for England and Archer looked like he couldnt be bothered
stretching the muscles in the cold weather and was at half rat power.

Reply #246
Reality...Broad is bowling well to Warner, he looked finished in Aus but has regained some pace and on English wickets is hard work as he is swinging/seaming the ball every match
and knows his craft. Warner is a fine player as his record suggests but the bowlers are dominating this series and only Smith who is an eccentric talent and Marnus loose bus change are able to graft and build an innings. Warner has the twice the talent of the gritty Marnus but grafting and grinding isnt his go, doesnt help either that his two partners in Bancroft and Harris cant get the ball of the square either and dont hang around long enough to rotate the strike and get Warner away from Broad.

We are well positioned with runs on the board and Smith in charge, the pitch is flat and at the end of the day we can take our time as England have to win the series
and we can hang in and draw these next two tests if we have to. Stokes cant keep saving and winning games for England and Archer looked like he couldnt be bothered
stretching the muscles in the cold weather and was at half rat power.

X2. Good summary EB.

All we have to do now is draw.

As for David Warner, he would be in any other test side in the world if he was available to them.
He does struggle in England but they still worry about him.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #247
X2. Good summary EB.

All we have to do now is draw.

As for David Warner, he would be in any other test side in the world if he was available to them.
He does struggle in England but they still worry about him.

I would disagree.

He strikes me as a very divisive type, even discounting sand paper.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #248
Wade showed why he won't be in the side going forwards.  Idiotic stuff.

Four left handers in the top six... All on thin ice.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #249
Without Smith (and young Marnus) we would be laughable....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #251
Steve Smith is NOW the highest test run scorer in 2019.

4 innings

Reply #252
Well, that'll shut England up for a while.  Trouble is I can only see a draw at this point.

Reply #253
Without Broad and stokes so would England

Agreed.

211 for Smith, now averages 64.64, not quite 99.94 but getting there!

Only the 3rd batsman in history to score 3 or more 200s in Ashes series (Hammond 4, Bradman 8).

Even Captain Paine produced an innings of note.

Now for Starc to show what he can do....
Finals, then 4 in a row!