Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs Hawthorn in Launceston (Read 27220 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs Hawthorn in Launceston

Reply #150
I'm thinking they'll give Charlie one more week to be fully fit and maybe bring in Kennedy with either Polson or O'Brien going out.

I don't care about his fitness, it's his form that doesn't justify a selection!

Having said that a thread somewhere did report that his work rate was high despite being ineffective.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #151
Agreed LP....never seen him drop so many marks as in these early rounds.

Silvagni would be desperately unlucky to miss out after his game last week....he worked hard up and down the ground and put his body in. We'll need that again this week.

Reply #152
I don't care about his fitness, it's his form that doesn't justify a selection!

Having said that a thread somewhere did report that his work rate was high despite being ineffective.

Tend to agree. He's fumbling everything at the minute. Might have a bit to do with lack of continuity. Hard to push him in at the expense of the guy who just kicked 3 and is our most effective backup ruck.

Reply #153
I'm thinking they'll give Charlie one more week to be fully fit and maybe bring in Kennedy with either Polson or O'Brien going out.

On the Garlett point, said it all along, he's not a defender at AFL level.

EB, what are your thoughts on a player, if any, that we might take in the mid-season draft....we have one pick available from memory? You wouldn't pick someone for the sake of picking someone but if it addressed a specific need. There's a young bloke playing for Perth in the WAFL (same team that Sydney Stack has come from) called Michael Bennell. Slightly older but has produced some electrifying stuff. Not a high possession player but regularly kicks 2-4 goals. He's actually not a small forward as he's nearly 6'2" but is absolutely deadly around the goals and has real speed.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/michael-bennell-produces-clanger-against-swan-districts-bc-6028555863001

And note the Duke is coaching Perth presently!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #154
Tend to agree. He's fumbling everything at the minute. Might have a bit to do with lack of continuity. Hard to push him in at the expense of the guy who just kicked 3 and is our most effective backup ruck.

Some will read the irony of me boosting Levi, but it's clear we need a backup ruck playing besides Kreuzer, and we cannot carry an out of form KPF in addition to two rucks.

Note the Dawks have named Ceglar in addition to McEvoy, they'll be using one of those two to drop back in front of McKay and McGovern, nothing is more certain. If McKay, McGovern, Kreuzer and Casboult are in form in addition to Cripps, Jones and Weitering, it untenable for any opposition to only run a single ruck against us. A solo ruck would be dead in the water by 1/2 time.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #155
Yep fly....looks like he's been in a good paddock too. But Perth are 4-0 for the first time in a season since 1978 (their last GF appearance!) and he's got them playing some good footy. I think Bennell would be pretty handy....he'd probably have games where he'd hardly touch it (like yesterday) but still end up with a couple of goals (like yesterday). He has freakish skills and is a beautiful set shot on goal.

The other one I was advocating for a spot was Jye Bolton who is in sensational form again and leading most media awards in the WAFL again this year. But he's a smaller/inside midfielder who's not overly quick but gets lots of it.

Reply #156

On the Garlett point, said it all along, he's not a defender at AFL level.

EB, what are your thoughts on a player, if any, that we might take in the mid-season draft....we have one pick available from memory? You wouldn't pick someone for the sake of picking someone but if it addressed a specific need. There's a young bloke playing for Perth in the WAFL (same team that Sydney Stack has come from) called Michael Bennell. Slightly older but has produced some electrifying stuff. Not a high possession player but regularly kicks 2-4 goals. He's actually not a small forward as he's nearly 6'2" but is absolutely deadly around the goals and has real speed.

Good question Surfie, to be honest I havent thought too much about it....my guess it would be a VFL player who the club know a bit more about and that SOS
would see more often  Type....?...most obvious is probably a small/medium quick goalkicker, you can also never have enough mids and perhaps a running defender with pace who uses the ball well.
They would also need to be in good form and be AFL ready IMO, this is a draft where you want a readymade who can fix a hole on your list through injury or lacking a certain type of player.

Sam Fisher is an obvious choice, club knows him, no re housing/settling in time(see Bennell), could play straight away.
Cory Gregson(ex Geelong) playing in the SANFL is a clever small forward goalkicker and seems over his injuries, while he isnt in the VFL he is a known quantity
and could play straight away.

Reply #157
Yep fly....looks like he's been in a good paddock too. But Perth are 4-0 for the first time in a season since 1978 (their last GF appearance!) and he's got them playing some good footy. I think Bennell would be pretty handy....he'd probably have games where he'd hardly touch it (like yesterday) but still end up with a couple of goals (like yesterday). He has freakish skills and is a beautiful set shot on goal.

The other one I was advocating for a spot was Jye Bolton who is in sensational form again and leading most media awards in the WAFL again this year. But he's a smaller/inside midfielder who's not overly quick but gets lots of it.

Big fan of Bolton too - not sure we need him though?

He'd need to be taking the spot of   Dow or Setterfield type?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #158
Many of our current list have already experienced a win over the Dawks, so early predictions of our demise this weekend might be premature!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #160
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/curnow-in-limbo-but-extra-tall-forward-line-is-no-problem-bolton-20190426-p51hho.html

There are a lot of naysayers, this won't work, that won't work, too many talls, too many rucks, too many defenders all of it unfounded.

I have to admit I have my doubts, but mostly around picking players of a type ahead of players in form.

If the players are in good form, then the whole scenario changes and just about anything can work!

Just being curious about the thoughts of forum members. After last week's McKay game, what if the running man role was reversed between McKay and Charlie, an inform McKay seriously looks like he could rotate through this role without trouble. It might be just what Charlie needs!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #161
Lebois is still not selected in the twos

He’s done a hammy!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #162
Agree Fly....I was advocating for Bolton as a very late pick in the draft last year but given how we've gone so far through the middle he's probably not exactly what we need right at the minute with Setterfield still to come back into the lineup.

Reply #163
There are a lot of naysayers, this won't work, that won't work, too many talls, too many rucks, too many defenders all of it unfounded.

I have to admit I have my doubts, but mostly around picking players of a type ahead of players in form.

If the players are in good form, then the whole scenario changes and just about anything can work!

Just being curious about the thoughts of forum members. After last week's McKay game, what if the running man role was reversed between McKay and Charlie, an inform McKay seriously looks like he could rotate through this role without trouble. It might be just what Charlie needs!

We'll put 22 talls in there then and see how that works. Not hard to work out that 4 talls forwards just exposes us when the ball hits the ground, and the ball will be on the ground very often. It's too many. Only way Io want all 4 playing is if they put Charlie in the midfield otherwise leave one out. Against GC McKay looked a lost soul with 4 talls forwards there.

Reply #164
We'll put 22 talls in there then and see how that works. Not hard to work out that 4 talls forwards just exposes us when the ball hits the ground, and the ball will be on the ground very often. It's too many. Only way Io want all 4 playing is if they put Charlie in the midfield otherwise leave one out. Against GC McKay looked a lost soul with 4 talls forwards there.

If you have 22 talls, with some that can move like Cripps, McKay and Charlie when they are in form, it's not going to be an issue.

I think the idea you can have too many of one type is highly over-rated, Leigh Matthews said he want a team of 22 Koutafides yet Kouta had some significant deficiencies in parts of his a game.

Horses for courses is a much better policy, with form based selection taking priority over a type!

Formulaic selection and coaching is a long term tactical dead end, it's what brought MM undone! No matter how good your plan, if the opposition know it they will bring you undone!
The Force Awakens!