Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 10965 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #45
It was a weak and insipid display EB from a supposed senior player.  I'd rather play short than include him ....

A massive waste of a draft pick.

Reply #46
 Just get rid of the three letter acronyms, LOB and SPS, next week and we'll be looking a lot better.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #47
Just get rid of the three letter acronyms, LOB and SPS, next week and we'll be looking a lot better.

What about mcg?

Reply #48
What about mcg?

Not sure about that one. I think if the first two are fixed maybe we can handle the third?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #49
Same old, same old.

Twice we allowed a succession of unanswered goals... the first succession effectively being the difference (4 in a row end of first qtr from Tiggers)... does that seem familiar. No different to last year.

You can only go by what we saw last night. And we saw the same 'promising', 'brave', 'competitive' unit that we saw most weeks last year. Same old, same old.

When in the 2nd qtr we led by 2 goals, we couldn't build on that lead... it does not seem to be in our culture - ruthlessness. Instead, from that moment on we kicked 5 gls, to the Tiggers 11 gls.

No way do LOB and SPS deserve to be selected again for next week. Fogarty was serviceable, but we need a lot more convincing.

So, we have obvious personnel problems and still have concentration/focus issues, culturally.

The thrashing we got out of the middle was embarrassing. Who's the midfield coach? Also, delivery to the forward line was appalling from the usual suspects. Saad's skills by foot should be studied by other players.

Yes, I know it is only R1. Yes, I know we played the Tiggers. But, 'Catch-up Carlton' was on display, again... giving sides a burst of unanswered to goals to effectively win the game... but, by golly, we are great at showing character to 'catch-up' and almost win - it's still there.

It's as if by having exactly the same coaching group we are expecting things to change!

There will be no proof of progress for this group until we win at least 5 games in a row, against bona fide opposition WITHOUT, a lapse (which allows the opponents to kick somewhere between 4-7 unanswered goals - apologies for the repetition on this point).

Next week?

Kennedy for SOJ.

Williams for LOB.

Martin for SPS.

And who goes out for Eddie?

As a side note, notice how with Cotchin out, how Dusty (and others) took it on himself (themselves) to do even more to cover for the loss of his/their skipper... it's in the culture at TiggerLand.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #50
It was a weak and insipid display EB from a supposed senior player.  I'd rather play short than include him ....

A massive waste of a draft pick.
Cap.. You don't have to have massive talent to be effective. Cottrell is limited but gives you max effort, Dusty and Reiwoldt would still have won the game for Richmond because they are better than anything we have in their respective positions but having 22 players all attacking the ball hard will get you finals with the talent we have.
Richmond bludged off our mistakes and punished us everytime. Aarts is probably their weakest player, didn't do a lot but with few mistakes. Our weakest were poor with plenty of mistakes and turn overs..

Reply #51
Shawny and I saw it ... that weak as Pi55 seton leaving the chasing to Saad for the man he let get away.

We should have traded him in 2020.  He just doesn't care.  Disgraceful.  Get rid of him and it'll be a guaranteed improvement.  Too harsh?  Nup.
Doesn't know the meaning of the word 'desperate' and rarely chases with any intensity.

Reply #52
Credit to Oscar Mcdonald, gave us something and is better than I thought.Competes well and plays like it matters, deserves to be in the 22 next week and was a handy pickup.
Again its about competing well and less about talent, he is no world beater but puts himself in and gives effort.

Reply #53
I copped a lot of flak for my 'negative' comments in regards to lob pre game and during the game.

How many of you are thinking he deserves a game next week?

If yes, how many of you said yes simply because you think he needs more time in the 1s to get a good run at it.

Anyone left? I'd like to hear your reasoning.

Reply #54
Very disappointed with our centre-square work.  Nankervis smashed Pitto, and hence they doubled our clearances.  No wonder they got 75 inside 50s - 19 of them came directly from centre square bounces....
Too true - Pitto is good around the ground but not so good in the centre square ruck contests.

Reply #55
Too true - Pitto is good around the ground but not so good in the centre square ruck contests.
I was providing stats to the contrary last year.

His hit outs to advantage stats were elite. Better than Gawn and Grundy in that area.
Only freak athletes (like nic nat) had better in that area....but offered less elsewhere by comparison.

Reply #56
I copped a lot of flak for my 'negative' comments in regards to lob pre game and during the game.

How many of you are thinking he deserves a game next week?

If yes, how many of you said yes simply because you think he needs more time in the 1s to get a good run at it.

Anyone left? I'd like to hear your reasoning.
He wasn't good, but neither were a bunch of our other kids including Fisher, they looked panicked when carrying the football. Fogarty gets a pass for the whole season, yet he looked more composed than Fisher, LOB, SPS, Dow and a bunch of others.

Having said that, I can't say Doc, Saad or Plowman were particularly better across the 4 quarters, Saad looked scratchy early, but they were also effective in other ways because they find a way to impact the contest.

The old blokes were pretty good under pressure, sMurph, Newnes, Ed ven Cripps who is not really a great kick, a couple of times they too looked bad, but mostly that was because of their target sitting back waiting for the footy rather than attacking it.

Our tall blokes had the fumbles, except for McDonald all our talls either couldn't hold on, juggled or ran under the footy. Fans might not think the juggling is a big deal, but it is because even when it comes off it momentarily stops momentum. We looked like deer in the headlights, part of this is because Nthmond get away with some horrendous tactics, they hardly ever get pinged for punching blokes in the ribs or head, we saw it multiple times. Jones, Casboult, Pittonet had shockers, Big H was ordinary despite clunking a few and he could have easily clunked 3 or 4 more and had an extra 3 or 4 goals, if not for the fumbles.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #57
I was providing stats to the contrary last year.

His hit outs to advantage stats were elite. Better than Gawn and Grundy in that area.
Only freak athletes (like nic nat) had better in that area....but offered less elsewhere by comparison.
Who you achieve it against makes a difference, Nankervis was supposed to be underdone and rushed back from pre-season injury due to Nthmond's spate of injured talls, Nankervis didn't look to be moving very well, had trouble bending over to pick up the footy, and yet he's ripped Pittonet a new one! It should have been a Nil-All draw at worst, but it wasn't we lost that battle resoundingly.

@kruddler PS: I don't think you mean stats this time last year, this time last year Pittonet didn't play! Kreuzer and Casboult rucked, didn't Kreuzer get injured in Rnd 1?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #58
One of the things we like to see as each new season starts is that little flash or glimmer where a player will do something we haven't seen him do before.
It's an indication that they've taken a step forward since the previous season.
A couple of slick passes and a bit of speed in a rundown chase by Silvagni is an example.
Jack looked set for a good year and hopefully that shoulder injury isn't as bad as has been suggested.

The problem for players like Dow, O'Brien and even SPS, is that over the seasons we haven't really seen that change to a new level.
You could take last night's performance and there wouldn't be a lot of difference to any of their games in their previous years.
They tease with an adequate (sometimes even good) performance now and then but it's often in a low pressure game.

We need to see that extra spark (many of us believe it may be there)....but it's becoming less and less likely it will occur.

Reply #59
I think the game will evolve in coming weeks, this pace under the new rules isn't sustainable, teams won't be able to recover if they keep playing at that intensity week after week. Every week would be like a GF.

If they try to keep playing like this we'll probably see runs/bursts of wins and losses from teams, the season will be a rollercoaster of fatigue versus recovery.

The long term solution is for coaches to find some new match day tactics, but don't hold your breath on that one!
The Force Awakens!