Skip to main content
Topic: Welcome Oscar McDonald (Read 3539 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Welcome Oscar McDonald

Reply #30
How so?
@flyboy77

I watch a fair bit of VFA, VFL and TAC Cup, I had great hopes for Ben.

You'll even find past posts on here of me touting the glowing terms he was described in by former school footy coaches like Luke Hodge.

But for all that, and I concede he started at an unlucky time, he just hasn't shown it. I can't even state his intensity reached the level of laconic. There's a reason he never got that AFL chance, he didn't earn it and never really looked like it. Macreadie and even O'Dwyer had him covered, one was busted and the other most on here label a spud or stable pony!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
@flyboy77

I watch a fair bit of VFA, VFL and TAC Cup, I had great hopes for Ben.

You'll even find past posts on here of me touting the glowing terms he was described in by former school footy coaches like Luke Hodge.

But for all that, and I concede he started at an unlucky time, he just hasn't shown it. I can't even state his intensity reached the level of laconic. There's a reason he never got that AFL chance, he didn't earn it and never really looked like it. Macreadie and even O'Dwyer had him covered, one was busted and the other most on here label a spud or stable pony!

Bingo!

If he really had strong potential one of the other 17 clubs would have snapped him up, even as a rookie! But crickets and tumbleweeds for Ben. The kid simply might have other interests in life he'd rather pursue than footy.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #32
Bingo!

If he really had strong potential one of the other 17 clubs would have snapped him up, even as a rookie! But crickets and tumbleweeds for Ben. The kid simply might have other interests in life he'd rather pursue than footy.
Playing twos for the Swans who need some KP depth with Alir going to Port, you never know could be J. Silvagni vs B Silvagni later in the season...wonder if Jo and SOS might have the odd elbow jab watching that game?😄

Reply #33
Another point of interest is that there is a young key defender who is a F/S Candidate for us this year. His name happens to be 'Whitnall'. That is all I know of him at the moment, except that he will be playing for the Knights.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #34
Another point of interest is that there is a young key defender who is a F/S Candidate for us this year. His name happens to be 'Whitnall'. That is all I know of him at the moment, except that he will be playing for the Knights.
Nepotism is rampant in the TAC Cup level, there is too much money in the game now days, they all want a slice and ability has little to do with getting some of the gigs. They don't even pick balanced squads, they prioritise the desires of the AFL parent clubs. The old boys network has become so rampant they've sh1t the nest! Expect the F&S to get kiboshed by the AFL very shortly, they've already signalled this might happen and I expect it's now a certainty.

PS; The reason this nepotism is becoming such a problem is because it's endemic, so you are judging F&S picks against other F&S picks none of whom deserve to be there!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35

There was an article on the afl website about father sons......brothers....cousins etc
Listed about 50 players.

We had Whitnall, playing chb from memory.
I think there was a Gleason, the third silvagni, mckay and Hogg as options.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/559913/archer-silvagni-lockett-famous-names-galore-in-21-draft-class

Whitnall playing for the Calder cannons, not knights

Reply #36
There was an article on the afl website about father sons......brothers....cousins etc
Listed about 50 players.

We had Whitnall, playing chb from memory.
I think there was a Gleason, the third silvagni, mckay and Hogg as options.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/559913/archer-silvagni-lockett-famous-names-galore-in-21-draft-class

Whitnall playing for the Calder cannons, not knights

That would be nice.  The Knights are a great bunch, but they seem to churn out more also rans.  BT will get onside with him.  He just loves to talk about the Calder Cannons Football Factory.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #37
He's an upgrade on Callum Moore but still a lemon IMO.

He should be in the VFL all season, if he plays in the seniors, then we are in serious trouble.

Very useful for depth in case of an injury run, like now. Need 32 players, 22 plus depth who are decent at least, to be a highly competitive unit. He's that depth. Can fill a hole in defence in case of injury, or even forward and send Casboult back, as well as pinch hit in the ruck. Sometimes a 2nd chance is what some need, like Butler last year.

Reply #38
To clarify in which TAC team Lance Whitnall played as a junior,  the following biography is courtesy Bluesuem.org
cheers Ab

Lance Whitnall

Career : 1997 - 2007
Debut : Round 1, 1997 vs Essendon, aged 17 years, 220 days
Carlton Player No. 1013
Games : 216
Goals : 348
Guernsey No. 8
Last Game : Round 22, 2007 vs Melbourne, aged 28 years, 10 days
Height : 192 cm (6 ft. 2 in.)
Weight : 100 kg (15 stone, 10 lbs.)
DOB : 23 August, 1979
Captain: 2007
All Australian: 2000
John Nicholls Medal: 2006
Leading goalkicker: 1998, 1999, 2000
Rising Star Nominee: Round 1, 1997

An often brilliant, yet much-maligned key forward who captained the Blues in the last of his eleven seasons at Princes Park, Lance Whitnall was born with rare skills, an astute football brain, and a bulky frame that was prone to stack on extra kilos during the briefest of layoffs. His battles with his weight were well-publicised throughout his time at Princes Park, often drawing scathing and ill-informed criticism. The facts are that Whitnall was more than a worthy captain of the Carlton Football Club, and his career record stands comparison with all but the very best of the Blues’ on-field leaders.

Lance came to Carlton with an impressive football pedigree. His father, Graeme Whitnall, played 66 matches for the Blues between 1974 and 1981, while his grandfather Noel had a long and distinguished career in country football. As a youngster, Lance played as a junior with outer-suburban Lalor. From the age of 14 he was remarkably mature in both mind and body, and this translated to dominance on the field. By 1995 he was centre half-forward and captain of the Victorian Under 16 state team, and a year later was a star in the Northern Knights side that won the TAC Cup Under 18 Grand Final. Carlton then drafted him under the father/son rule, and by Christmas 1996, Whitnall was the new custodian of Carlton’s number 8 guernsey. Nicknamed “Banger” at first, then “Big Red” or simply “Red” because of his hair colour, he didn’t lack confidence or self-belief.

Reply #39
To clarify in which TAC team Lance Whitnall played as a junior,  the following biopsy is courtesy Bluesuem.org
cheers Ab

The debate was not about Lance, but his son coming through ;)

Reply #40
The debate was not about Lance, but his son coming through ;)

Ah!!..have now re-read your quote .....yes thank you!   

A young Whitnall "could" have some potential given the football background of father, gradfather & great grandfather.
Ab

Reply #41
To clarify in which TAC team Lance Whitnall played as a junior,  the following biography is courtesy Bluesuem.org
cheers Ab

Lance Whitnall

Career : 1997 - 2007
Debut : Round 1, 1997 vs Essendon, aged 17 years, 220 days
Carlton Player No. 1013
Games : 216
Goals : 348
Guernsey No. 8
Last Game : Round 22, 2007 vs Melbourne, aged 28 years, 10 days
Height : 192 cm (6 ft. 2 in.)
Weight : 100 kg (15 stone, 10 lbs.)
DOB : 23 August, 1979
Captain: 2007
All Australian: 2000
John Nicholls Medal: 2006
Leading goalkicker: 1998, 1999, 2000
Rising Star Nominee: Round 1, 1997

An often brilliant, yet much-maligned key forward who captained the Blues in the last of his eleven seasons at Princes Park, Lance Whitnall was born with rare skills, an astute football brain, and a bulky frame that was prone to stack on extra kilos during the briefest of layoffs. His battles with his weight were well-publicised throughout his time at Princes Park, often drawing scathing and ill-informed criticism. The facts are that Whitnall was more than a worthy captain of the Carlton Football Club, and his career record stands comparison with all but the very best of the Blues’ on-field leaders.

Lance came to Carlton with an impressive football pedigree. His father, Graeme Whitnall, played 66 matches for the Blues between 1974 and 1981, while his grandfather Noel had a long and distinguished career in country football. As a youngster, Lance played as a junior with outer-suburban Lalor. From the age of 14 he was remarkably mature in both mind and body, and this translated to dominance on the field. By 1995 he was centre half-forward and captain of the Victorian Under 16 state team, and a year later was a star in the Northern Knights side that won the TAC Cup Under 18 Grand Final. Carlton then drafted him under the father/son rule, and by Christmas 1996, Whitnall was the new custodian of Carlton’s number 8 guernsey. Nicknamed “Banger” at first, then “Big Red” or simply “Red” because of his hair colour, he didn’t lack confidence or self-belief.

Absolutely. I saw him play for the Knights.
Live Long and Prosper!