Skip to main content
Topic: Casboult to CHB (Read 17365 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Casboult to CHB

Reply #60
Just logical that Kerr given a shot at being a KPD - he's the right size, reads the plAY AND is a footballer.

Still only 20. He should be (potentially) groomed to be our Steven May (noting the latter is considrably shorter and lighter).

Big enough to take the gorillas.

He's behind McGovern, Big H, Charlie, Levi and arguably TDK too as a key forward.

By the time he matures - say 23, 24, Jones will be goneski.....

Agree...nothing further to add...

Reply #62
Kerr is smaller than many of the other KPD options, but no doubt he has the grunt to go head to head with bigger bodies.

IMHO, it's Kerr's physicality that sees him in good stead, that period he spent rucking at VFL level(while injured) should see him through.

Unlike many fans, I don't want to see Weitering become a gorilla watcher and languishing on the last line of defense, we are not a good kicking side and I think Weitering is quite probably the best kick and decision maker at the club when he's free to do so.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #63
Kerr is smaller than many of the other KPD options, but no doubt he has the grunt to go head to head with bigger bodies.

IMHO, it's Kerr's physicality that sees him in good stead, that period he spent rucking at VFL level(while injured) should see him through.

Unlike many fans, I don't want to see Weitering become a gorilla watcher and languishing on the last line of defense, we are not a good kicking side and I think Weitering is quite probably the best kick and decision maker at the club when he's free to do so.

Weitering has put on some beef but I dont see him being a gorilla minder either, his best role is as an intercept defender....Kerr is more naturally inclined to enjoy the physical contact stuff more
and has a bit of mongrel in his game that you cant teach.
Kerr is 197cm and 97kg now which is very adequate for CHB ....

Reply #64
Weitering has put on some beef but I dont see him being a gorilla minder either, his best role is as an intercept defender....Kerr is more naturally inclined to enjoy the physical contact stuff more
and has a bit of mongrel in his game that you cant teach.
Kerr is 197cm and 97kg now which is very adequate for CHB ....

I'm yet to see a game plan that can make best use of our playing list, I can't help but feel in recent times we are trading heavily to find "players who fit the plan" rather than "building a plan to fit the players." In this regard I now believe coaching is our weakest link.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65

Kerr is 197cm, 97kg and still only 20. Liam Jones is 198cm, Marchy, Weiters, Plow and Goddard all shorter.

Steven May is 193cm, 101kg.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #66
Meh, reading through the playing list on the club website throws up some glaring exceptions and anyone who has spent 5 mins on the ground observing at a VFL match will show the reality.

But even so Philips and De Koning taller than McKay who is the same height as Lobbe,  or Marchbank listed at roughly the same height as Charlie, Weitering or Macreadie! The only way some of these blokes are measuring roughly the same height is if you put a few of them on a rack before measuring!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #67
I'm yet to see a game plan that can make best use of our playing list, I can't help but feel in recent times we are trading heavily to find "players who fit the plan" rather than "building a plan to fit the players." In this regard I now believe coaching is our weakest link.

That's a chicken and egg argument.

What came first the game plan or the players to play it?

The problem we have had, is having too many different types of player, which resulted in having to change the game plan to suit the players.  This results in sub optimal performance by a team over a longer period of time, due to having to adjust everything and having players have to change the process to get results.

Everyone knows that the definition of madness is to repeat the same process expecting different results.

Therefore, implement a process (a game plan) and then recruit to suit it, and you will then get repeatable results.

The problem you are therefore seeing is, that we have yet to identify a game plan that we believe can work for us to recruit for.

Stripping it right back, the AFL have created this problem, because they implement rule changes to fix symptom A, which result in symptoms of problem B, C, D, which means that the game keeps changing meaning that clubs have to then change things up to suit new rules.

Moving forward, we need to identify a method of playing football, that is repeatable by the majority of different types of player, in order to come up with a game plan, that is going to be succesful irrespective of what the current rules are, in order to achieve anything.  What that means is choosing whom you recruit to suit your game plan and playing group, rather than simply recruiting the best talent available, which is where we have failed in the past.

We put together a group of talented players, that have been lacking in some facets.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #68
x2
x3
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #69
That's a chicken and egg argument.

What came first the game plan or the players to play it?

The problem we have had, is having too many different types of player, which resulted in having to change the game plan to suit the players.  This results in sub optimal performance by a team over a longer period of time, due to having to adjust everything and having players have to change the process to get results.

Everyone knows that the definition of madness is to repeat the same process expecting different results.

Therefore, implement a process (a game plan) and then recruit to suit it, and you will then get repeatable results.

The problem you are therefore seeing is, that we have yet to identify a game plan that we believe can work for us to recruit for.

Stripping it right back, the AFL have created this problem, because they implement rule changes to fix symptom A, which result in symptoms of problem B, C, D, which means that the game keeps changing meaning that clubs have to then change things up to suit new rules.

Moving forward, we need to identify a method of playing football, that is repeatable by the majority of different types of player, in order to come up with a game plan, that is going to be succesful irrespective of what the current rules are, in order to achieve anything.  What that means is choosing whom you recruit to suit your game plan and playing group, rather than simply recruiting the best talent available, which is where we have failed in the past.

We put together a group of talented players, that have been lacking in some facets.

I think this is what he successful Hawks did. From what I've read they identified key roles and had the players on the list to play those roles - each one knowing exactly what was expected of them. Wasn't the notice in their rooms "Know your Role!" ?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #70

In modern AFL this is an archaic losing strategy, the problem is that by the time you've built the list to suit "the plan" every opposition club knows what you are doing.

It's almost the exact opposite of what the Bulldogs did, they made rapid changes and reaped benefits, Nthmond could also be described as making radical changes. But I concede their strategies are unlikely to deliver long term repeatable results because the idea of a long term "plan" is obsolete!

Being a follower, like copying the tactics of last years premiers, is almost certainly also a losing plan as it's like being 2nd in line!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #71
In modern AFL this is an archaic losing strategy, the problem is that by the time you've built the list to suit the plan every opposition club knows what you are doing.

It's almost the exact opposite of what the Bulldogs did, they made rapid changes and reaped benefits.

Also being a follower, copying last years premiers is almost certainly also a losing plan, it's like being 2nd in line!

That’s right LP.  Successful clubs have to be ahead of the game and that means constant change.  It also means that there will be seasons when the gameplan and/or list doesn’t quite work out.  It’s a high risk/high reward strategy but the successful clubs are better at managing the risk.

I think that the Bulldogs lack of success after their premiership was not a hangover but a failure to improve on their gameplan and list.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #72
That’s right LP.  Successful clubs have to be ahead of the game and that means constant change.  It also means that there will be seasons when the gameplan and/or list doesn’t quite work out.  It’s a high risk/high reward strategy but the successful clubs are better at managing the risk.

I think that the Bulldogs lack of success after their premiership was not a hangover but a failure to improve on their gameplan and list.

It was the biggest issue I had with Mick Malthouse, he was building a list for an obsolete game plan that every opposition club knew inside out!

Not only are you battling your own clubs ability to implement the plans and recruiting, you are also battling every other clubs knowledge base on how to counteract your exposed strategies. AFL is not like football at any other level for this reason.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #73
In modern AFL this is an archaic losing strategy, the problem is that by the time you've built the list to suit "the plan" every opposition club knows what you are doing.

It's almost the exact opposite of what the Bulldogs did, they made rapid changes and reaped benefits, Nthmond could also be described as making radical changes. But I concede their strategies are unlikely to deliver long term repeatable results because the idea of a long term "plan" is obsolete!

Being a follower, like copying the tactics of last years premiers, is almost certainly also a losing plan as it's like being 2nd in line!

Yet in sport all the world over, tactics and systems evolve and change with one constant irrespective of the code.

They all end up resembling each other in one way or another, with minor changes.

The idea that new tactics are "invented" is a complete load of bollocks, and there simply are not too many alternatives to play that sport.

Without going into too much detail on any one game plan.  What worked yesterday could very well work again tomorrow, because in 5 years time the players who know how to negate will similarly have forgotten all about it, and because the rule changes will mandate different approaches (i.e. a back 7 will be negated by going into starting positions, but that doesnt mean it cannot still work).

Successful clubs have to be ahead of the game and that means constant change.  It also means that there will be seasons when the gameplan and/or list doesn’t quite work out.  It’s a high risk/high reward strategy but the successful clubs are better at managing the risk.

Sometimes being ahead of the game, is simply a matter of knowing what comes next to negate the current tactics, and you might need to go back in time to discover what comes next.  Remember everything old becomes new again, because tactics are required to shift in game.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #74
The problem with that Thry is that, in our game, the rules change annually (and are applied differently throughout a season) and what may have worked five years ago won’t work now.

All coaches would have spent the off-season developing gameplans to accommodate the new rules.  Some will work well, others will have to be adjusted or abandoned.  I hope that Bolts and his offsiders have come up with a gameplan that works well and is within our players’ capacity.

Of course most sports draw on other codes for ideas and inspiration but to say that inventing new techniques is bollocks is to deny the capacity for original thought that defines our species.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball