Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 45016 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #210
I'll give you one to explain...." we will be defined by pressure"...............

Yeah, that confuses most people I reckon.
That aside I don't know what people expect the coach to say after a heavy loss, he's not about to come out and say that his players are hopeless or that he's hopeless, all he can do is try and stay positive and keep whacking away at it.
Realistically we were always going to lose yesterday's game, so when we lost Simpson and three players during the game a 60 point loss shouldn't really surprise anyone.
I'll reserve my judgement on Bolton's ability as a coach until he's got something like a full list.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #211
That aside I don't know what people expect the coach to say after a heavy loss, he's not about to come out and say that his players are hopeless or that hevs hopeless, all he can do is try and stay positive and keep whacking away at it.
Realistically we were always going to lose yesterday's game, so when we lost Simpson and three players during the game a 60 point loss shouldn't really surprise anyone.
I'll reserve my judgement on Bolton's ability as a coach until he's got something like a full list.

Agree.

Reply #212
I'll give you one to explain...." we will be defined by pressure"...............

Well that's a fail. How about something easier, like, "We will be defined by how nice we are and our attendance record..." Or, "We will be defined by the persistence of our cliches..."
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #213
That aside I don't know what people expect the coach to say after a heavy loss, he's not about to come out and say that his players are hopeless or that he's hopeless, all he can do is try and stay positive and keep whacking away at it.

Yep! Me too.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #214
Yep! Me too.

It's clearly an accurate statement, we fold under pressure! ;)

That's pretty definitive! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #215
Watched some footage on one of the foxtel shows after the Freo debacle and it showed one example of how they were able to get free players running inside 50.

The commentators at the time just called us lazy and we probably were on here too but it was actually the opposite.

Paddy Dow made a mistake and ran hard from half back to help put pressure on a player on the wing but in doing so he left a big hole in our zone which they took advantage of.

It wasn't our lazy players or even bad coaching but just a first year player making a mistake.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #216
Our guys are having great trouble working out how to play the zones. Liam Jones is a prime example and has been shown several times leaving huge gaps with opposition players then taking advantage. I guess it comes down to nous and judgement, both of which seem lacking at times. BB seems to want to persist with this game plan though and I guess the learning will continue to be painful.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #217
Our guys are having great trouble working out how to play the zones. Liam Jones is a prime example and has been shown several times leaving huge gaps with opposition players then taking advantage. I guess it comes down to nous and judgement, both of which seem lacking at times. BB seems to want to persist with this game plan though and I guess the learning will continue to be painful.

Actually I forgot to add Jones had to leave his man because of Dow's error.  We all would have blamed Jones but our zone was already broken and is probably the reason why Jones finds himself in that situation.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #218
Actually I forgot to add Jones had to leave his man because of Dow's error.  We all would have blamed Jones but our zone was already broken and is probably the reason why Jones finds himself in that situation.

Agree, it's not Jones or Weitering, at the game it's clear, watching off the TV the person in shot gets the blame. And whatever you do do not listen to the radio, they don't even get the player names correct!

Get some wide angle views of the opposition kicking into our F50 and you'll see a Carlton defender corralled by 3 or 4 opponents and not another Carlton player in sight. It's why I was so disappointed with BB's weekend comments, he was blaming the defense, maybe he meant the defensive structure or efforts from mids or forwards, but it came across like BB was pointing the finger at Jones, Weitering and others in D50. Our defenders cannot fix the problem when they are often outnumbered 2:1.

FFS, a mate who was at the ground tells me at one stage the Lions got the ball and started heading down the wing into our D50 being chased by Carlton players. One of our chasers gave up the chase, took a right run on the wing and headed to the bench!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #219
A zone defense or zones all over the ground is more brains than brawn, and require each and every player to understand their role and stick with it. Man on man is more meat and potatoes. Adopting zones in defense or elsewhere has merit - the outcome is less determined by one on one battles (ideal if you don't have the right match ups in key areas), it helps to spread the risk, and also can mean less running, especially helpful for youngsters or the aerobically challenged.

The problem is it only takes one error of judgment, or injuries to key personnel, for it to fall apart.

Reply #220

Fair comment MBB. I wasn't trying to single out Jones, or even blame our defence necessarily, there seems to be confusion throughout the team atm. I don't think our players are as bad as they look at times - I think they are also struggling with their roles and with the game plan. BB will not budge though so we'll see.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #221
The only thing that has come out of this year is .....thank F for Essendon!

Reply #222
A zone defense or zones all over the ground is more brains than brawn, and require each and every player to understand their role and stick with it. Man on man is more meat and potatoes. Adopting zones in defense or elsewhere has merit - the outcome is less determined by one on one battles (ideal if you don't have the right match ups in key areas), it helps to spread the risk, and also can mean less running, especially helpful for youngsters or the aerobically challenged.

The problem is it only takes one error of judgment, or injuries to key personnel, for it to fall apart.

And players need to play with one another for an extended period to make it all work, but not only do we have raw beginners trying to learn the basics we can't seem to get any continuity due to our run of injuries.
There were five changes again this week, three of them forced, and then we lost three players during the game.
The result was really a foregone conclusion.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #223
The only thing that has come out of this year is .....thank F for Essendon!

Worst season in our history?
Its ok, we still beat essendon.

Reply #224
Worst season in our history?
Its ok, we still beat essendon.

Think a bit harder. Have to say that alot.

Essendon will save us the embarrassment of a zero season.