Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 1 2020: Post Game Post Mortum: Carlton vs. Richmond (Read 12906 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 1 2020: Post Game Post Mortum: Carlton vs. Richmond

Did we win yet?
Please release your emotions here.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFL Rd 1 2020: Post Game Post Mortum: Carlton vs. Richmond

Reply #1
Our inability to cut sides up on the outside kills us. Great with contested possession but on the outside, no good. Just doesn't allow us easy ball inside 50. Richmond's ability to waltz through the corridor and set up an easy goal was just about the complete difference.

Reply #2
Did Lynch get a kick??

Reply #3
Did Lynch get a kick??
Obliterated by Weiters
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #4
Obliterated by Weiters

Yes. A standout was Weiters.
Shame about the zippy little guys.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #6
Setterfield looked lost.
Cunningham got lost.
Hope they can work their way into form.
That said, must have been weird playing in virtual silence.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #7
We fought it out but game was done at quarter time.

Same old same old - Cripps and daylight in the midfield.  No midfield depth got us again.
Won’t win many games when we still rely so much on Cripps. Can’t keep Fisher, Dow, Newnes, Setterfield and Cunningham in the one team when they do SFA -  issue is the cupboard is bare.

Martin was much better then I thought he would be so well done. Weitering was our best player imo. Casboult and Doc were also handy all night.

Unless our midfield kids take a few massive steps up which I can’t see happening this year we are still a bottom 2-4 team at best.

Reply #8
Yes. A standout was Weiters.
Shame about the zippy little guys.
Outstanding performance, especially early the way it was coming in. Jone packed his dacks, Weiters didnt. Their small fwds murdered us and set up the win. Bolton, Castagna, Rioli 9 goals btw them. Ouch
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #9
Our outside ball distributors - Setterfield,  Dow,  Fisher and Newman stunk.   To the point where I'd be happy if none played seniors again, ever.    Dow is clueless,  zero awareness, real worry that bloke.   These blokes can't get it,  can't use it and apply F all pressure on the other mob when they have  it.  Murphy did better,  he at least got the pill,  but his use stank.   Curnow tried but his use was awful.    So many ineffective players, can't carry so many passengers.

Big loss was Kreuzer,  if it's a foot that might be the end unfortunately.  Levi very serviceable,  at least gives us a presence around the ground.   Before getting injured Kreuzer looked cooked.

Plowman was hopelessly out pointed,  but at least we have Willo as cover.   I don't see how we're going to fix that midfield though,   it is so far off AFL standard it's embarrassing.  Time to give some of the supposedly talented kids a rocket.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #10
They are older, more mature and confident and adapted to the ‘conditions’ straight away. We were lost until we settled. Enough positives against a very, very good team. Martin, Weitering, Docherty, Cripps, Jones (after 1/4 time) Casboult (he was enormous) SPS off limited preparation, McGovern was forced to become a presence, Murphy worked hard. Silvagni and Cunningham did little but both ended up with their quota for the night.  If you’d been told that they’d kick the first 5 and Kruezer would be cooked in the first quarter, a 10 goals defeat would not have been a surprise. I think we’re on the right track......

Reply #11
It doesn't often happen that a team's season is over in the 1st quarter. However, if Kreuzer has broken his leg, then our season is done.
Our structural defects were on show: only one top ruckman, lack of depth in the midfield and not enough sharp small forwards.

Our tall forward can improve a lot, as the season goes on. Our ruck division, on the other hand, already looks like a point source error.
Our small forwards can improve, assuming Eddie can get fit. But our mids don't do enough (except for Cripps).
Our defence will improve as the season wears on.
Something to work with, perhaps, but our future looks grim.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #12
Well I guess the positive is we played a hellava lot better after qtr time and if Jones takes his time and slots that last shot we could've been losers by only 2 goals! Who would have thunk it when they were over 50pts up.
Good job by the backline. They are not the problem. Weiters, Doc and Jones, I really thought did well. SPS good solid first game back. Simmo I'm a afraid is a liability. We have backups. Time to cut him loose.
Newnes not as bad as I thought he would be. Great first up for Martin. Levi was tremendous. Just busted his arse all night. Great game. He's turning into a real jack of all trades. Very frustrating for Kreuz. He was smashin them in the ruck. Father time has caught up with him. He looked so dejected. I feel for him.
Murphy made SO many mistakes. Cripps awesome. Ed serviceable, just can't really on his kicking.
Forward line was very poor I thought and continues to be our Achilles heel. Cunningham, waste of time. Dow, terrible. Setterfield back to his fumbling best. McG, doesn't do enough, but was probably 3 or 4 marks away from having an impact.
Fish, hmmm. Not sure.
At least we didn't fall away like we did in the practice matches.
Gives us some hope. If the season continues.

Reply #13
I'd just about kill to get a draft freebie like Pickett... Fast,  heavy bodied,  balanced, aware in traffic,  clean hands  and a deadly user.   Instead we persist with crap trucks that tick none of those boxes and just run around fumbling, falling over,  making dumb errors, missing tackles and generally running around in a clueless manner.   And we wasted high draft picks on those blokes... Big clean out coming.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #14
Well I guess the positive is we played a hellava lot better after qtr time and if Jones takes his time and slots that last shot we could've been losers by only 2 goals! Who would have thunk it when they were over 50pts up.
Good job by the backline. They are not the problem. Weiters, Doc and Jones, I really thought did well. SPS good solid first game back. Simmo I'm a afraid is a liability. We have backups. Time to cut him loose.
Newnes not as bad as I thought he would be. Great first up for Martin. Levi was tremendous. Just busted his arse all night. Great game. He's turning into a real jack of all trades. Very frustrating for Kreuz. He was smashin them in the ruck. Father time has caught up with him. He looked so dejected. I feel for him.
Murphy made SO many mistakes. Cripps awesome. Ed serviceable, just can't really on his kicking.
Forward line was very poor I thought and continues to be our Achilles heel. Cunningham, waste of time. Dow, terrible. Setterfield back to his fumbling best. McG, doesn't do enough, but was probably 3 or 4 marks away from having an impact.
Fish, hmmm. Not sure.
At least we didn't fall away like we did in the practice matches.
Gives us some hope. If the season continues.

Agree with this post

To add to it, Murphy is really just a small forward now and his lack of physicality in the middle is hurting us over and over again. And all of Newman, Simpson, Dow and Curnow’s disposals/decision making is woeful - can’t win carrying that.