Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 2: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 7879 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 2: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #60
Agree, Liddle and crew wont sit back and cop the blame for a average season and missing finals, they will be looking for a scape goat real quick and the bloke with the L Plates on wont be coaching next season if that happens.
Going to be a few name coaches on the market for jobs and I dont envy Teagues position, the hype from the media preseason was strong but only one journo picked us as a finals team after all the positive spin.
Even the pro Carlton journos like Riley Beveridge from AFL.com didnt have us making it, you feel too there is that one big injury around the corner as well threatening to derail us.
Its unfair on Teague but thats the job and how we roll at Carlton....

Ain't that the truth.

That said, if we can't make finals this year, we are truly a joke.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #61
I'm with GTC.....SPS goes out. I'd drop him, LOB and Silvagni out injured. Initially I had McDonald in my starting 22 but if it's wet over there as it's forecast, then maybe he misses out...but only for that reason as he deserves a spot on the back of last week. Then in would come Williams, Martin and Kennedy instead of McDonald.

Betts is thereabouts but Fogarty was okay last week and with Gibbons, Fisher and also Murphy, the smaller forward role looks too congested.

Looking alright, but it is Melbourne:

Thursday 25 March

Summary Min 15 Max 20 Shower or two. Possible rainfall: 1 to 3 mm Chance of any rain: 70%

Melbourne area

Partly cloudy. High (80%) chance of showers, most likely over eastern suburbs in the morning and early afternoon. Winds westerly 20 to 30 km/h tending southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h in the evening then becoming light in the late evening.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #62
Need to win this one. Too often we show alot of promise round 1 only to screw it up round 2.

Reply #63
Agree, Liddle and crew wont sit back and cop the blame for a average season and missing finals, they will be looking for a scape goat real quick and the bloke with the L Plates on wont be coaching next season if that happens.
Going to be a few name coaches on the market for jobs and I dont envy Teagues position, the hype from the media preseason was strong but only one journo picked us as a finals team after all the positive spin.
Even the pro Carlton journos like Riley Beveridge from AFL.com didnt have us making it, you feel too there is that one big injury around the corner as well threatening to derail us.
Its unfair on Teague but thats the job and how we roll at Carlton....
I have seen nothing in the preseason or round one that suggests we will be anything more than a middle of ladder team like last year. Of course a string of wins can change all that quickly, but a loss to the Filth tomorrow night (who everyone reckons are on the nose) will not be a good look for Teaguey. No matter what we all think, Carlton sacks coaches like no one else and the spectre of Lyon and Clarkson loom.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #64
I have seen nothing in the preseason or round one that suggests we will be anything more than a middle of ladder team like last year. Of course a string of wins can change all that quickly, but a loss to the Filth tomorrow night (who everyone reckons are on the nose) will not be a good look for Teaguey.
Middle of the ladder is 8th or 9th, which is often 12 wins. I'll take that.

Reply #65
Team are in:

In: Williams, Martin.

Out: JSOS (inj) LOB (omitted).

Reply #66
I think 8th will save Teague even with 10-11 wins, no finals and I wouldnt be confident of him keeping the job especially if they had Clarko lined up early. Agree with GTC that Ross Lyon is always just lurking too.....see Pagan and Malthouse though for reasons why and likely end result if we went with Lyon.

Reply #67
Harry Mckay's 50th game and DeGoey's 100th.

Reply #68
I think 8th will save Teague even with 10-11 wins, no finals and I wouldnt be confident of him keeping the job especially if they had Clarko lined up early. Agree with GTC that Ross Lyon is always just lurking too.....see Pagan and Malthouse though for reasons why and likely end result if we went with Lyon.
If he got 9th with 11 or 12 surely they wouldn't repeat history. It would be still a significant improvement. as they say, those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  Or, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

Reply #69
Much better side this week.

To win 12 games this year will require us to really rattle home, because if we lose tomorrow we could be six and zip.   Then phone calls will be made - though I suspect they already have been made. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #70
If he got 9th with 11 or 12 surely they wouldn't repeat history. It would be still a significant improvement. as they say, those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  Or, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

I thought that we had learnt our lesson but it seems not!

I reckon Teague could get another season if we miss out on finals.  However, we would have to beat a couple of top 4 teams and finish 9th or 10th on percentage or a game.  No blowout losses, no giving up 5 or 6 goal runs and no slow starts will help.

Bringing Williams and Martin in makes us a stronger team with more scoring potential and better delivery into the forward 50.  I reckon Rottingwood is unsettled after the off-season turmoil and we have a great opportunity to make them pay.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #71
I wonder if those comments from Walls a couple of weeks ago were his genuine opinion, or whether he made them at the behest of the club ?

I don't care where we finish this season. If they sack Teague at the end of 2021, then they would have found the tiny hole at the bottom of the barrel, and sunk further than anyone thought possible. Disgraceful idea.

Reply #72
This is exactly the kind of game we should win,  but the last 25 years says we'll be bitterly disappointed by another mediocre performance.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #73
You crafty thing you. I'll give you my definition of middle of the ladder, 9th if we are lucky, 10 to 11 more likely.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #74

We are good a repeating don't worry about that. How many games under Teague had 5 goal swings? 18 out of his 28 games.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th