Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 2: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 7679 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 2: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #30
Biggest worry in this game is they have a solid defence with very good talks. Moore and Howe will make life very difficult for Harry and Oscar or Levi. Maynard is another tough quality back as well.
I think if Eddie is ready this may be a week he plays. Our smalls will need to be the ones creating havoc. They don’t score but they make scoring for the opposition hard so we have to be smarter going forward.
Reckon Gibbons Fish Murphy and Betts are the ones who will worry them most.
Don’t think our talls will bother them too much - this game will be won if our small forwards can kick multiple goals each.

Reply #31
Martin and Williams are no brainer ins.

Kennedy has been BOG (or close) 2 weeks running in the 2s.

He is a like for like replacement for JSOS surely? Plus adds midfield grunt. And he's not slow now he's fully fit and not carrying an ankle! Bet he'd thrash Crippa easily.

So, my ins and outs:

Out:    Willo, LOB, JSOS
In:       Martin, Williams, Kennedy

Murphy needs to show a lot more too...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #32
Yes we SHOULD, like us they will be like a wounded animal. I like how English and Martin worked Grundy over, he will ne a tired boy today, will Levi and Pitto be able to continue the tirade? Our defenders have a different fwd line to contend with, the Yank is a monster and a very straight kick so we must a hatch a plan to counter the the supply to him. If he gets silver service, he will be hard to contain.
Williams and Martin will be good ins for us, Teague said in the presser Martin should be right to go, sounds like he nearly played v Rich. Be interesting to see if any other changes come from the VFL sides performance.
I think Grundy will hit back this week after getting caned in the media.
Pitto and Levi not in the same class as Martin and English either.

Reply #33
I think we should have an edge, but only just. Grundy is out of sorts, which evens the out the ruck contest, and their midfield, which has lost some pace and skill with all the trades, also brings it closer to ours. Their defence is pretty good. They,like us, weren't able to generate many inside 50's, and they look like they will struggle to kick big scores. Blues by 1 or 2 goals.

Reply #34
I think Grundy will hit back this week after getting caned in the media.
Pitto and Levi not in the same class as Martin and English either.
Don't reckon you need class to reduce Grundy - more about being a smart hard to move ruckmen who doesn't just try and out ruck him but block his ability to jump. Dogs did there research this time around as Grundy has slaughtered them in previous years. Martin ran at Grundy early a lot at the centre bounce which stopped Grundy's ability to leap over him and use his agility which is his main weapon.

Initiate the contact with Grundy and you reduce his effectiveness. Reckon Pitt is capable of this tactic and also have to have a plan to stop him when he floats forward. But our guy is also a decent mark and if he wanders deep for us he can be a concern as well as Grundy can be a bit loose defensively.

I still say our best chance is with our small forwards - they are hard to score against so Gibbons Fish and Co need to impact the scoreboard as their talls in Moore, Howe and Maynard are tight good defenders that dont leak goals.   

Reply #35
Don't reckon you need class to reduce Grundy - more about being a smart hard to move ruckmen who doesn't just try and out ruck him but block his ability to jump. Dogs did there research this time around as Grundy has slaughtered them in previous years. Martin ran at Grundy early a lot at the centre bounce which stopped Grundy's ability to leap over him and use his agility which is his main weapon.

Initiate the contact with Grundy and you reduce his effectiveness. Reckon Pitt is capable of this tactic and also have to have a plan to stop him when he floats forward. But our guy is also a decent mark and if he wanders deep for us he can be a concern as well as Grundy can be a bit loose defensively.

I still say our best chance is with our small forwards - they are hard to score against so Gibbons Fish and Co need to impact the scoreboard as their talls in Moore, Howe and Maynard are tight good defenders that dont leak goals.   

To me, the Dogs kicked those first 3 goals in minutes, then started lairising....

once you start fluffing around, hard to get back into the right mental place.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #36
To me, the Dogs kicked those first 3 goals in minutes, then started lairising....

once you start fluffing around, hard to get back into the right mental place.....

Pies tried early to play a shoot out, sling shot style then realised when dogs kicked the 3rd it’s not going to work and went back to their default which is full blown team defence. 
We need to play very smart and we can account for them. Play long bombing dumb footy and Moore and Howe will love it and they will strangle us and kick a big enough score them-self to get the win.
I don’t rate them as a top team but we are also not exactly the smartest team tactically so I’m still not expecting an easy game this week.

Reply #37

Pittonet was spent and the Nank overpowered him and the Nank aint no Grundy when it comes to running. Levi was next to useless in the ruck and it was a big factor in the game IMO.
Levi will have to lift his output to make Grundy slow down and I wouldnt be relying on that to happen.
Agree the Pies defense has their best lines especially with Howe back but kicking goals is still their problem and we should win well given they are a teetering on the brink of a rebuild and new coach.

Reply #38
I also wouldn't discount the off field upheavals being a distraction for the Pies. Treloar certainly seems very well liked by his ex team mates. They were joking with him last night like a social game at the local park. Those trades, plus the Do Better report, the lead up to it and the fallout afterwards, would be unfamiliar territory to a club not accustomed to that type of negative scrutiny. When you add all that to team selection, lists etc., this is a golden opportunity to get a win early in the season.

Reply #39
Agree but issue having the depth where you have blokes knocking down the door. 

You don’t want to be gifting games but also need to give blokes a decent block to build some confidence and then you know exactly where they sit.
I would love to give stocker a block of games. From what I have seen from him he has a bigger body then most his age, was strong over the ball and was confident with his disposal.
Give him 5 or 6 games and let’s see what he has. Also very keen to see Kemp later in year.

Agree Stocker must be close. He can use both sides of his body, and adds much needed attitude.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #40
Tend to agree, I think SPS might have the odd day when he can defend and man a player but its not his natural game and as a winger he might have some freedom to create. I see him as that 4th or 5th midfielder not as a core player who you can rely on each week to get you 30 possies but that poor mans Brad Hill type.
More like Benny Hill - if only he would move as fast.

Having said that, I would retain him and play him at HFF or wing.  Like Murphy, he can be creative and can't chase.

Reply #41
More like Benny Hill - if only he would move as fast.

Having said that, I would retain him and play him at HFF or wing.  Like Murphy, he can be creative and can't chase.
Perhaps this new rule has really exposed SPS and his lack of pace, play is much more open and it's hurting him, I'm not sure he is suited to the HBF anymore while this game style persists.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42
Pittonet was spent and the Nank overpowered him and the Nank aint no Grundy when it comes to running. Levi was next to useless in the ruck and it was a big factor in the game IMO.
Levi will have to lift his output to make Grundy slow down and I wouldnt be relying on that to happen.
Agree the Pies defense has their best lines especially with Howe back but kicking goals is still their problem and we should win well given they are a teetering on the brink of a rebuild and new coach.
Yes, Grundy will have a bee in his bonnet next week, the media are all over him being done over by the Dogs B-Grade rucks, a has-been and a kid smashed him, their words not mine! Some listed English in the best, just for running interference on Grundy and doing sweet feck all else!

I think good defence is having less impact under this new rule, there are just too many clean F50 entries. Get toasted in the midfield and I think you're well and truly cooked!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #43
Martin and Williams are no brainer ins.

Kennedy has been BOG (or close) 2 weeks running in the 2s.

He is a like for like replacement for JSOS surely? Plus adds midfield grunt. And he's not slow now he's fully fit and not carrying an ankle! Bet he'd thrash Crippa easily.

So, my ins and outs:

Out:    Willo, LOB, JSOS
In:       Martin, Williams, Kennedy

Murphy needs to show a lot more too...

A nice set of ins and all of them give us aggression and intensity, however I’d be retaining Williamson for at least another week as he has a go.

In addition to LOB, I’d go ahead and drop both of Murphy and SPS, with Setterfield on his last chance. We can’t accept players who refuse to commit to tackles and pick and choose which contests to make. Much prefer to see Stocker and/or Cunningham in their place.

Need to rid the club of any signs of apathy.

Reply #44
Yes, Grundy will have a bee in his bonnet next week, the media are all over him being done over by the Dogs B-Grade rucks, a has-been and a kid smashed him, their words not mine! Some listed English in the best, just for running interference on Grundy and doing sweet feck all else!

I think good defence is having less impact under this new rule, there are just too many clean F50 entries. Get toasted in the midfield and I think you're well and truly cooked!
Well Pitto and Levi have to have an even bigger bee in their bonnet.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time