Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game Banter: AFL 2020 Rd 14: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 11741 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game Banter: AFL 2020 Rd 14: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #45
Eddie still demands that an opposition player sits on him and not wander off him to create havoc elsewhere. 

Reply #46
Some of the negativity towards Eddie is a bit strange.  I reckon we have improved this year due a lot to the following:
- A stable back 6 led by Doc. Yes JW is having an outstanding year but don't underestimate Doc's impact from a structures and coaching point of view.
- Rucks giving a decent contest.
- Mids helping Cripps with some heavy lifting.
- Eddie marshalling the troops in the fwd line. You can see he is constantly directing them where to go, how to position themselves. At times it has looked shambolic but it is starting to really Gel and I reckon he has had abit to do with it.

I reckon that he loss of Eddie’s leadership in the forward line was a major factor in our drop down the ladder.

The other thing about Eddie is his amazing ability to identify a target inside 50 and deliver the ball to that target.  I expect us to score virtually every time Eddie gets the ball in his hands.  He is also highly respected by the opposition and always gets one of the better defenders, and that helps Gibbons, Fisher, etc.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #47
We needed a Charlie Cameron as an understudy for Eddie and that's where the mistake has been made imo.
Gibbons isn't that player and either is Martin who is already an experienced player.
We needed that Cameron/Mosquito type for Eddie to train up.

Reply #48
We needed a Charlie Cameron as an understudy for Eddie and that's where the mistake has been made imo.
Gibbons isn't that player and either is Martin who is already an experienced player.
We needed that Cameron/Mosquito type for Eddie to train up.

Kysiah Pickett unless Papley is coming end of the season.

Reply #49
Kysiah Pickett unless Papley is coming end of the season.
I see Papley as more of being in a Gibbons type Mid/Forward role rather than permanent SF.

I believe the club has asked Fisher to concentrate on becoming the best SF he can be, and he is not so happy about it.

Owies could well be Betts understudy, he looks to be an elite finisher and he has the pace to breakaway and the jump to take marks on the lead!

I'd like to see all our SFs make a concerted effort to develop their other foot, we have too many one-sided SFs. Even McKay for that matter, he missed a goal on Friday because he couldn't even kick 5m with his right boot, at AFL level that is inexcusable!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
Agreed LP...that McKay one from point blank range was almost laughable. I know there's blokes who are equally adept on either foot, some more than others, but to be so totally one sided these days is hard to fathom.

I would still love to have Papley as the long term succession to Eddie....but with smaller lists and reduced caps, he'll demand top $$$ and Sydney will still want a kings ransom for him.

Reply #51
Agreed LP...that McKay one from point blank range was almost laughable. I know there's blokes who are equally adept on either foot, some more than others, but to be so totally one sided these days is hard to fathom.

I would still love to have Papley as the long term succession to Eddie....but with smaller lists and reduced caps, he'll demand top $$$ and Sydney will still want a kings ransom for him.
I keep saying it, this team as is can beat anyone, anytime, anywhere when they (as Teaguey says) "play our way".
- Make sure slow starts are a rarity
- DO NOT GIVE AWAY 5 goal leads or let teams get 5 goal unanswered runs.
- Put in 4 solid qtrs
- Tidy up the inaccuracy in front of goal and we smash GC by 100 pts.
We appear to be building depth (making selection decisions difficult) and training the kids the right way finally. If we beat the Filth this week, look out.
Go Blues
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #52
I keep saying it, this team as is can beat anyone, anytime, anywhere when they (as Teaguey says) "play our way".
- Make sure slow starts are a rarity
- DO NOT GIVE AWAY 5 goal leads or let teams get 5 goal unanswered runs.
- Put in 4 solid qtrs
- Tidy up the inaccuracy in front of goal and we smash GC by 100 pts.
We appear to be building depth (making selection decisions difficult) and training the kids the right way finally. If we beat the Filth this week, look out.
Go Blues

Yes, the results of games, even against the better teams, are mostly in our hands (and heads!) now.

Even the Cokers in Perth, but for umpire 22, they were in trouble.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #53
If we win and the Dogs and Dees lose we are not only in the 8 but have a game in hand on the Dogs and Pies, who haven't had their bye yet. Because of the latter finals are actually in our own hands. Keep winning and we are in.

Reply #54
The reserve game write up suggests that Dow may be back this week ahead of Bam-Bam and Cunningham - I’d love to see him back providing that outside run that we desperately need.

Cripps, Setters, Curnow on the inside and Martin, Walsh, Murphy and Dow outside sounds very good

Reply #55
prefer Kennedy.

He's performed well enough to come straight back in.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #56
prefer Kennedy.

Everyone wants players in......but who goes out? Nobody deserves to be dropped.

Reply #57
prefer Kennedy.

True, we need surety right now as this is the crunch game of the season. We know Kennedy will come in and do a job, either in the midfield or up fwd. What will Dow bring? Perhaps we have to trust that if they bring him in, he will be ready to go and do a job. Having said that, Moore showed us that VFL form doesnt translate to AFL form.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #58
Everyone wants players in......but who goes out? Nobody deserves to be dropped.

Who makes the team better?

Kennedy or Cottrell?

Do i need to give you the answer?  :D

(Pies aren't a quick side....certainly not minus Sidebottom, De Goey and Howe)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #59
I found this elsewhere.  Getting towards Outer Limits

Interesting facts:

The Blues have won six games and lost six games from 12 in total: but the stats extend far beyond that.

The Blues currently have a percentage of 100 per cent, having scored and conceded 756 points in 2020. The inaccuracy in front of goal on the weekend also means the Blues have kicked 108 goals and 108 behinds.

They’ve also won a game after the siren (Round 12), lost one after the siren (Round 7), won by a solitary point (Round 4), lost by a solitary point (Round 2), have won two games in a row twice and lost two games in a row twice.

Let’s knock off the Pies.